The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Matchbro Distortion
Eddie Stephens

Kissimmee, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2000 6:06 pm    

Has anyone else experienced problems with their Matchbros distorting and sounding overdriven?
Excluding the obvious of weak batteries, I replaced the slide switch with a heavier duty toggle switch.
It got much better after replacing the switch but still has some problems.
I wondered if it could be circuit related as I understand these are not circuit protected. I also wondered about all of the pots involved.
Anybody else have a similar experience?
Thanks

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2000 6:39 pm    

I had funky sounds coming from one I traded for last year. I sent it to Goodrich and they fixed it for $25. That seems to be their typical bench charge. I'd just send it to them.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 21 May 2000 9:20 pm    

What usually causes failure in any electronic device is either over voltage, or over current. There are two areas that must be protected: The power supply, and all transistor junctions. A power supply is usually fused.
The protection of transistor junctions must be built in by the designer of the electronic circuit.
What causes over voltage and over current? With battery power, it is difficult to over voltage the power supply of the device. If the device is powered from house AC ,or a wall wart, that is a totally different story. Just as big a cause of failure is lack of solid protection of the transistor junctions by the designer of the device. Over voltage and over current that destroys transistor junctions usually comes from 3 things. 1-Static Electricity, 2-What is plugged in the input ,and 3-What is plugged in the output.
Example: Your body can easily generate over 4,000 volts walking across a carpet. When you turn equipment off or on, that is hooked to other powered equipment, there can be huge surges, or draws, of both current and voltage. None of this should be considered the user's fault! Most electronic components in music equipment can
not take more than 35 volts, and not much current.
There is the obvious failure where the device does not function at all. Then there is "soft" failure, where the device keeps working, but performs poorly.
Peavey Amplifiers seldom fail because Hartley Peavey loads them down with protection, and they are fused. If the power supply is not fused, and there is no protection of inputs and outputs, it is only a matter of time until failure occurs. It all boils down to a matter of built in protection.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 22 May 2000 at 02:20 PM.]