The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Mike Brown
Eddie Stephens

Kissimmee, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 7:02 pm    

Hi Mike ,
Let me first say thanks for posting and replying like you do.
It is always great to hear your thoughts.
Maybe this has been asked before, and I might have missed it, but has Peavey ever entertained the the idea of producing a Steel Guitar midi interface such as the IVL that is no longer available. There still seems to be a great deal of interest in this topic.
Secondly has Peavey ever cosidered production of a Pedal Steel?
Just curious.
Thanks
Eddie.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 6:27 am    

I would love to see this too. But I think Peavey would probably not want to because of the potential for low return on investment to develop these products. I always thought that Peavey would be the best candidate for producing a reasonbly priced beginner steel. With their marketing power, they could reach a lot more people than we can here on the forum.

Mike, if I am wrong, please kick me in the butt.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 9:48 am    

Hi guys,

PMFJI on the midi issue. Years ago I put a midi controller on an electric guitar and to be honest, it is much more trouble to clean up a track than to record it. With a stringed instrument, the amount of midi information that is sent out is tremendous as the string continues to ring. A two second sound could deliver 50 to 60 midi messages. It is difficult to get it to just send the pitch information and any bending information. That was the problem that I encountered many years ago. Perhaps, it got better. I just find it easier to use a true midi keyboard or the real instrument if you can play it.

Regards,

Mark T.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 2:52 pm    

Thanks for the input and compliments, guys. We were one of the few manufacturers who marketed a midi stringed instrument which was called the Peavey Midibass and Cyberbass instruments. Actually, these instruments performed really well as far as tracking(no matter how fast you could play). But, the reality is that these instruments were ahead of their time and didn't catch on as well as they should have.

I've heard about the IVL pickup, but never got a chance to use one, and I understand that they were very expensive. The return on a "specialty" product like this is minumum. I'm not saying that it won't happen as Hartley Peavey is one to persue this innovation(and has in the past) if anyone would. But, I don't see it happening in the near future for us.

Thanks again.