The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another ? about Nashville 400 for Mr. Brown
Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 7:54 am    

Hi, Mike--
I have a problem you might be able to help me with. After 30 or 40 minutes of operation
my Nashville 400 will start to crackle and pop, then it makes a loud (I mean REALLY loud) hum and the compression light glows brightly. I turn it off immediately. After a few minutes I can turn it on again and it will work fine for a little while, then start
crackling, etc., again. Here's the weird thing--if I turn the reverb control to zero I
have no problem at all. Obviously, the problem is in the reverb circuit. This is the third Nashville 400 I have had this trouble with (I have owned 5 of them). Do you
have any suggestions for a cure before I put it in the shop? Have you guys at Peavey ever heard of this problem before? Any help or advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Curry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 12:23 pm    

I don't want to steal Mike's thunder, but your problem is in the I/O connector for the reverb - a common problem in this amp. Mine has had intermittent problems since new with it. In another recent thread about this exact same problem Carl Dixon noted this same problem and fix.

The problem is poor connection in the molex connector. It has the two cables from the reverb tank and plugs into the chassis. It is a nylon connector and you will probably have to take the upper back cover off to access it. Sometimes just reseating the connector (unplugging and then plugging back in) will take care of the problem. Sometimes you will have to spray both the chassis pins and the connector pins with contact cleaner and then plug it back it.
And in extreme cases the female pins in the plug do not make good contact and you may have to VERY CAREFULLY bend the female pin slightly so it makes good connection.

Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 5:13 am    

Thanx, Jack. I'll try fooling with the molex connector and see what happens. (I guess I
should have searched this topic for previous
threads). I'll do that now. Thanx again.
Curry