The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavy Bandit 112
slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 7:31 am    

I just pulled the old bandit out of the closet where it has rested for about ten years.Still sounds great here in the living
room.My question is does this amp have enough
power to play with a country band?Im gonna
start playing again.Thanks in advance for your replies.

Wayne

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 4:38 pm    

Thanks Everyone,
You have helped me a lot,maybe i can return
the favor in some way.It's really nice to have folks like you to turn to when you need
help.What if i had asked you about a peavy
400/500/1000 would i have gotten a reply?i
think so.Im sorry i wasted my time posting
such an unimportant thing as a peavy bandit.
Thanks again------------------------Wayne----

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 5:59 pm    

Wayne - Sometimes it takes a couple of days for folks to respond to a post, particularly when posted on a Sunday. It seems to me that there is not as much traffic here on Sundays.

Be patient! You know these guys are always quick with an opinion. You just need to wait until someone who has tried a Bandit with their steel to read your post.

Lee, from South Texas

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2000 8:38 pm    

Lee's right Wayne,
Take your pill and relax. The Bandit 112 is a great sounding amp that is plenty loud for most gigs. I have never played steel through one, but tele's sound good and punchy. E9 would probably be OK, but C6 at high volumes may wash out. Glad to hear your'e getting out playing again. Hope you have fun.
Pat

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 8 May 2000 5:53 am    

I have A/B'ed the Bandit 112. for me, it a little short of the sound I need to present the PSG in a commanding manner. When the PSG is in the spotlight, The sound MUST be full and rich. While in a small room or at home, this amp is more than enought to suffice but, on a gig, I prefer a much bigger punch, even tho I may not neeed even half the power avaliable. (read this as, Not loud but able to reproduce the full rich frequencys at LOW volumne that can only be produced if your amp has the power needed)

I have resorted to useing a Peavey CS-800 on more than one occasion because I didn't feel that even the Nashville 400 would be adaquate for the job.

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 8 May 2000 4:10 pm    

Lee,Patrick,Bill
Thanks for your replies.Patrick i took my
medication and im fine now.You know that old
folks are hard to get along with sometimes.
Ill only be playing it at home and with a four piece band in a small room.If it dont
sound good ill get something else.Gotta take
my medication and go to bed.
Thanks again-------------------------Wayne---

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2000 6:13 am    

The Bandit 112 amps was originally designed for six string electric guitar. I haven't tried with steel, so I don't know if you will like the voicing. But, this is the same preamp as the Special 112 and I've been told that this works pretty good. It depends on how loud your stage volume is as to whether or not it will be loud enough for you.

Again, what might sound good to you, may sound bad for me. I suggest that you try it out on a gig and let us all know.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2000 6:19 pm    

Hi, Slick,I have a Peavey Bandit, maybe I can give you my impression. I have been playing my S10 Sho-Bud Professionl 5/5 on it and I am surprised at the tone I am getting out of it. Of course maybe it is my steel, with dual sho-bud pickups and mini switches to get various sounds. It seems to have plenty of power, and seems to be ok for a fairsized club. AS mentioned on the forum, you may run out of clean power in a large place. I have had a Nashville 400 and it definetly is a better amp at more money, but I like my Bandit and it is a lot lighter to carry around. There is room on this Bandit to put a 15inch JBL in it, and I'll bet you could get a lot more clean power out of that. Of course that would make it heavier too. Bottom line, you have a good amp to do what you are planning to do. It is especially important to get all the settings correct. When I first got it, I couldn't seem to get the right kind of sound out of it. It took me quite a while fooling around with it to get just what I wanted. Good luck...al .Incidently this may help. For guitar I use the HIgh gain input, and for Steel I use the Low gain input. It works for me.

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 10 May 2000 at 10:36 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2000 7:04 am    

Thanks for your input, Al. It helps me to know this too. Thanks for choosing Peavey.

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2000 6:19 pm    

I've got a Bandit that I use for practice, rehearsals, and small rooms. It works fine with my LeGrande. The only modification I have done to this amp is to replace the reverb tank with one of a different impedance so it gets a better reverb sound with a longer decay, like the reverb in the Session 500. Any authorized Peavey service person can get you this tank and they are not expensive. Bandits are known to be an extremely tough and dependable amplifier. I've even loaned mine to a keyboard player who used it as a stage monitor on a 5-day gig and it performed flawlessly.

dana Murphy

clarksburg wv usa
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 4:24 am    

Wayne. You can.t find a better place to get info. & the nices folks on earth . then right here. dana

thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 4:20 pm    

Wayne i have both a Peavey Bandit 112 made in
1989 and a Transtube model made in 1996 and with the addition of an Altec 4178H speaker
the'89 is pretty punchy. i like it better than the Transtube with the Sheffield set-up. Good luck on returning to playing and hope you enjoy yourself immensely

Regards Thurlon

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 12:24 pm    

I used the old bandit last night at the local
VFW.We had drums,bass,lead guitar and steel.
It was a medium size room,and like Al said
once i got the settings right it did a great
job.First time i have played outside the house in a long time.Cant wait untill tonight
Thanks to everyone for your help.Man its great to be out pickin again.

Wayne