The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB> JBL D-130 15" speaker 4 oms
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 6:27 pm    

I am looking for this Speaker or two of them will be better. They need to be in great condition and not played out. Any rejobs on these speakers I will need to know about.
Thanks in advance. Please Help!!!
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 9:28 pm    

Ricky,
I have heard good things about these guys: http://webervst.com/
They make reissue type stuff.

Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=286207964

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=287444030

This is a close as I could find today. I'll keep my eye out for you.

Bob

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 10:38 pm    

Man Thanks Bob; you are very helpful. So I checked out that Weber page>very impressive.
Is that what I want in my Twin? Keep the suggestions coming; I need to learn.
Oh Bob; sorry I couldn't make it out to hear you when you were here>Got tied up.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2000 4:55 am    

Hi Ricky:
A standard 8 ohm JBL-D130 unplayed & in new condition is hard to find and a 4ohm model is rare! Webb amps that had a JBL-E130 4ohm speaker will only be available in the 8 ohm version. The new Evans 15" speaker for the high voltage SE-200 is 4ohm and is voiced for steel. I have two on order from Frenchy and will install them in open back back cabs. I also have have a pair of JBL-D130 8ohm installed in Marrs closed back cabs and they sound very nice.
Len Amaral

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 23 March 2000 at 05:05 PM.]

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2000 8:30 am    

Hi Ricky. I've got a D-130 that WAS a 4 Ohm, but was reconed with a JBL 8 Ohm kit. It sounds fine, a little warmer sounding than my K-130 4 Ohm. I've been looking for 4 Ohm JBL's also without much luck. Tell you what;
I've been trying to find a K or preferably E series 4 Ohm ( higher power rating ). If you can find one of these, maybe we can do some horse trading. I'd rather not sell it until I can find what I'm looking for. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!......Brian

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 12:44 am    

Man thanks again guys for your inputs.
Brian why was that JBL re-coned as an 8? Did you do that or was it done when you got it?
I'm learning more and more about what 15" speaker I need; and now I'm more cornfussed.
Ya'll know what I sound like; tell me what do I need to handle more load than the original blue-backs I have in my Twin and get the same sounds coming out that I play?
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 24 March 2000 at 12:46 AM.]

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 6:38 am    

Ricky,
I was told by Jim Webb a couple years ago that he had the JBL you are looking for in stock for $450.00, you might get in touch with Jim via his webb site to see if he still has one.
Take care Ricky.
Bill Bailey
Kingman,Az

------------------

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 7:20 am    

Hi Ricky. As was suggested earlier, check out the Weber VST line of speakers. You can email Ted Weber and describe what you're looking for, and he'll suggest which of his speakers will do the trick. I've emailed with a similar request, and found him to be quite helpful. He has a line called the "Califonia", I believe, which is modelled after the JBL speaker. Perhaps two of his twelves would do a nice job in a Twin...Jerry

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 10:30 am    

You may use the 8 ohm D130 if you switch your 4 ohm Twin OP Transformer to an 8ohm from a Single Showman amp.
Chris

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 10:48 am    

Ricky, I don't know it was reconed an 8. When I bought it, they told me it was a 4 Ohm speaker, which it is. And that was the way they're ad read. I used it for awhile and did'nt think twice until all this talk about no more 4 Ohm kits. So I took my multimeter and voila! 8 Ohms. Still a great sounding JBL in any case.
If you're looking for the same tone but more power, I agree you should talk with Gerald Weber. I'm sure he could answer your question. He knows that stuff hands down and also understands about the different needs of steel players.
I'm going right after I finish this post and talk with JBL about the power issue. Maybe a E or K 8 Ohm recone kit in a D-130 can handle more power than a D-130 kit. Questions, questions, questions! Let all of us know what you find or figure out.
By the way, I just talked to a new steeler and gave him the forum address. I mentioned some names and said you're a good one for support and encouragement.........Brian

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 1:22 pm    

Thanks Brian I will e-mail mr. Weber. The Califoria series 4ohm 15" speaker is rated at 80watts. Don't I want alot more wattage?
I will ask him. I did visit the site and was impressed with the knowledge; but that wattage is my only concern.
Thanks guys and I will let you know what I come up with.
Ricky

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 2:47 pm    

I have lately also grown some interest in those JBL D-130's.
Here is what I've found out so far:

The problem always seems to be the cone, probably because of the limitted powerhandling. Most amps can at times put out power spikes that exceed by far their nominal power rating. Some fat C6th chord can be real cone killers at high volumes (Baahwoomm can turn kracbwfft! )

So, most of these speakers, when found, need reconing or have been reconed at some point of time (and then the question is "how well?").

Consensus is, that right there, starts your problem(s).
It would seem that these speakers are quite tricky to recone.
There are two types of recone kits: Original JBL's and so called "aftermarket". It is said that "aftermarket" cones don't have it, but then, they're also cheaper. Also E and K series cones are not much regarded by D-gurus. Anyway, it does not seem to make sense to put any lower grade parts into such an expensive speaker, does it.
JBL does not seem to issue any more 4-Ohm kits, only 8-Ohms, however some repair stations may still have some.

But (and here's the beef), before you have these babies reconed you want to make really, really, I mean REALLY sure that particular repairman in that authorized JBL shop, has a prooven track record of having succesfuly reconed these particular speakers for some really picky, pain in the @ss musicians (no hard rockers, nor audiophiles. Jazz guys are fine).

They are very nice speakers, when they work, well worth the messin' around. They have an alnico magnet which can reverse very quikly, which allows it to spell those higher frequencies. That's where those sweet harmonics are at.

Then again Weber seems to be a real acceptable alternative, very well respected by Fender cloners and rebuilders... and they have alnico too.

[This message was edited by J D Sauser on 24 March 2000 at 02:59 PM.]

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 5:05 pm    

Ricky:
Weber VST has a good line of speakers and may have one to fit your needs. I've been a Standel dealer for a couple of years and have followed the design progress on their S15 speaker. It's virtually an exact copy of the original D130 (pre D130F). I am checking to see if they can make one in 4 ohms and beef up the power handling capabilities. They aren't cheap, but they are made to exacting specs, from the best materials. I know the Alnico magnets alone cost nearly a hundered bucks. I will also check the current price. These are sold at a net price with no dealer markup due to manufacturing costs. You can check them out at www.requisiteaudio.com. Follow the Standel links to speakers. Check out the pic of my two-tone 25L15 while you're there!
Dana

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 6:25 pm    

Hey Dana, I'd be interested too, so let us all know, OK... J-D.

------------------
jaydee@bellsouth.net

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 6:36 pm    

Well, I talked to ( I can't remember his name already! ) at JBL and basically no one was buying the 4 Ohm kits. Let's face it. For a time people were saying why spend that much money for a recone when you could have it done for a $100 and sound basically the same. Note I said basically. It's not everyone who can appreciate the difference. I guess we really are a limited breed. What he did tell me about the power was this;
When reconed from 4 to 8, there's app. 25% power loss, not 50% as I originally thought. Even with solid state amps. And if you have let's say a D-130 with a E or diff. kit, the speaker will NOT handle more power cause of the kit. It remains the same.
I also agree with J.D. With the turnover rate in music stores and the " learn while you earn " training most recieve, some people and places just do a horrible job! I'm fortunate that I have a JBL authorized store that I personally know the person and his track record nearby. While I trust his work, I'm always looking for a used one. The kits are just so darn high!
I'm curious on what Gerald will recomend Ricky. Keep us informed. That way when ( hopefully before I die! ) I get a Twin or something I'll have an option besides all the aftermarket speakers that get put in them.....Brian

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 11:28 pm    

I think you guys are confusing Ted Weber of Weber VST with Gerald Weber from Kendrick. Both make speakers but the VST line is more extensive and has the California series.
DD

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 1:21 am    

Hey Dana I talked with Ted Weber and that California series speaker looks to be the one. He says he can make it 120 or 150 watts.
So it is the C15CA 15" 4ohm 150watt speaker and it only cost $95.00
Sounds great to me and I think I'ma gunna go for it. What do ya'll think?
Ricky

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 8:02 am    

Gosh, a brand new Weber 4 Ohm 150 watt speaker for $95? With all the money we spend on steel stuff, I'd say that's a good deal Ricky. Go for it and if you don't like it, sell it to me!......
I'll be anxious to get your "soundcheck" on it......Brian
Yea,you're right Dana. I WAS speaking about Gerald, not Ted. I ws "cornfused". I do know that Gerald knows Fender amps like no ones business and since Ricky plays one......

[This message was edited by Brian Stear on 25 March 2000 at 08:06 AM.]

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 8:03 am    

GO FOR IT!!!

Let us know how you
make out. Ted is one of the best around!

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 10:16 am    

Ricky: Like I mentioned Weber makes an excellent product and that speaker is certainly a good value and worth trying out at that price. The Standel speaker as I mentioned was made to be exact copies of the JBL D130 (Alnico mags, etc). They are now beefing up these speakers for higher power handling. I will still post the price for those interested when I find out, but I believe they were in the $450 range last I checked.
DD

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 10:43 am    

Ricky -
I ran across this recently: http://www.csguitar.com/
They have 'early 60s JBL 15" D130, gray, original cone, $250.00 each (yikes!)
Good luck.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 12:43 pm    

Well my partner(Archie Cox) and I are ordering two of those Weber speakers right now as I type this. I will let everyone know how I like it and turns out. This Ted Weber guy seems to be very very knowledgeable of us as steel players; needs; and a super nice guy on top of that. Thanks everyone for your help in gaining my own Knowledge on this area I needed to know about.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
sshawaiian@aol.com

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2000 1:13 pm    

Just to throw in my two cents..
I am a JBL addict, I have tried them all... nothing else will do!
For 15's I have several D-130's, some 8ohm some 16ohm, some original cone and some re-cone. They all sound fantastic, the key with re-cones is to have it done with a JBL kit, not Walden or some other after market brand. I think that a properly done re-cone sounds as good or better than a played in original cone.
I have tried the Standel JBL copy and it sounds very close to the real thing but I think you'd be crazy to spend $450 on one.
I have several D-120's and all of the above applies to them as well.
The K series are the same as the D series, they were issued when there was a price freeze on exisisting products ( the Nixon administration) and JBL simply re-named the D series in able to raise the prices. I have a pair of K 120's and they are identical in sound to the d 120's. K's can be had for reasonable money.
Gary at New England Speaker in Stoneham,Mass. is a master re-coner, I recommend him highly.
Rumour has it that JBL no longer makes D series kits so get 'em now...
P.S. Regarding Fender Twins, Showmans etc., I run one of mine with two 6550's, it sounds incredible, and by using only 2 output tubes the speaker "sees" 8 ohms, there are a couple of minor mods necessary to do this(any competent tube guy can do ). Hook up a D130 and off you go to BIG FAT TONELAND!

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 7:12 am    

Hey Carty, good response, good to hear from you! Say hi to all the boys in Maine for me.

Ricky, the Weber speakers are very highly thought of by the vintage geeks. I think he specializes in Jensen-type speakers, I didn't know his 15" was supposed to be a JBL clone. Now you got me thinking...slap that in place of the run-of-the-mill Eminence in my Custom Vibrasonic...uh, next step-sleeping on the couch!

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2000 10:56 am    

Ok, here's the scoop. The S15 Standel speakers retail at $455.00. If you buy from me I can do them at $400.00. They are made on a custom basis and can be had in 4 or 8 ohm ratings. Power handling can be beefed up to about 100 watts by modifying the voice coils and cones. And, if you need a new Standel amp to go around it, I can help with that too!
DD