The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Need advice on CD Burners
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 7:44 am    

I hear they've really come down in price (like under $200). Does anyone have any advice on models, features to look for or avoid, etc? How about real-time versus high-speed (e.g., 8x)? Thanks!
Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 9:36 am    

I'm moving this to the computer area

Jack

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2000 9:40 am    

I'd been in the market for one of these for about a year and a half, and over that time I'd learned that the Plextor models are about the best. I have a Mac which uses a SCSI interface, though I'll bet you have a PC and would use the IDE interface. I own a Plexwriter CD-RW 8/2/20, meaning that it burns regular CDs at 8x, burns re-writable at 2x, and reads at 20x (max). It's nice. For the PC, the equivalent (actually slightly faster and cheaper) is the Plexwriter CD-RW 12/4/32. I bought mine online at www.hypermicro.com for $299, plus the external shell. You may be able to put your drive right into your PC with no external shell. It also comes with some basic recording software for the PC (useless to me as a Mac owner).

If you'd like to hunt for online prices, visit www.pricewatch.com . Hypermicro was very speedy and seemed just fine about the transaction. I had a horrible experience with another online seller a year ago when I bought a Yamaha CD-RW 4260 which gave me some problems. I mailed it back and never got a replacement nor my promised $446 refund from the place. They then closed and the guy retired to Florida. I even complained to the BBB and the State Attorney General of his state, and they weren't able to get any results. Caveat emptor.

Feel free to write me for more details about my Plextor.

------------------
Bill * MSA Classic U12 * email * homepage