The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Silvertone amp-reverb/tremolo shot
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 8:54 am    

I have this old Silvertone 2x12, solid state that I plug my lap steel into. Sounds great, but the reverb recently bit the dust. If I dial up the reverb, I get a low end hum...really loud!! Also, the tremolo only works at certain points on the "strength" dial. Suddenly very inflexible, as far as settings go.

Are there any Do It Yourself repairs that I can do myself (I know nothing of electronics)? Could it just be a dirty pot on the tremolo dial? Are these things that can be fixed? Would it be worth the money to fix an amp that's pretty darn old?

I'd hate to see this amp go. It's a great sounding amp. I can do without the reverb and the tremolo, but they are such nice features.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 9:36 am    

Hey Chris,

If its a spring reverb you can check a few things. First and easiest is to check the connectors, Usually RCA from the tank to the chasis. Old amp cables get pretty dirty. Try doing a little twist on the rca plugs. Second is look inside the tank to see if the springs have become disconected. Third try cleaning and exerciseing the pots.

Let us know how it turns out.
Joe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 10:22 am    

Do what Joe says. It does sound like a dirty pot on the tremolo and a possible cable problem on the reverb. The reverb problem may be nothing more than one of the cables is loose or not plugged in at the amp.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 11:39 am    

Thanks alot!! Even I can try THOSE suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Chris
"king of the technically challenged"

Max Laine

Pori, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2000 12:28 pm    

Check also the wire connections inside the reverb pan. They work loose regularly on Fenders...