The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112E & Power Amp suggestions
Lennie Harvey

London, UK
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 2:06 am    

I just bought a Tube-Fex pre amp and a pair of Nashville 112E enclosures, both second hand.

Does anyone know the power rating and impedance of the enclosures?

Also I;m a complete beginner on pedal steel, but I want to use the set-up for lap-steel and normal guitar excursions. What Power amp should I get? I'm trying out an old Peavey CS200 at the moment which is certainly loud enough for the guitar, but I'm not sure whether to buy it or not.

D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 9:51 am    

Sorry, but I absolutely don't know the answer to your question, but sounds like you and I might be in a similar situation. I'm looking for an amp to use for steel and electric guitar which would give me a decent tone. I thought since you were in the UK and doubtless facing the same blank looks when talking to music shops as I am, and finding that what everybody else recommends isn't available in the UK, we might share notes on how we are progressing. Have you come across Gerry Hogan in Newbury. What steel are you playing. How are you going about learning it?

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 9:59 am    

I'm sure you can find the info you need at the PEavey Web site. You can e-mail Mike Brown from Peavey too. He's about as nice of a guy as they come (as far as equipment MFG go ) The amp is completely subjective. One nice thing is that if your using a Tube Fex pre amp, just about any amp will sound good. You will find you won't need to find a amp that simulates tubes. Just find a good clean power amp that doesn't add color. One thing you'll find is that everyone has an opinion on amps. You have to use your ears on this one.

Lennie Harvey

London, UK
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 1:21 pm    

Thanks chaps, got a good answer from Peavey. Reckon I need a bigger amp.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 8:36 am    

You may contact me anytime you have a question about Peavey steel gear. My e-mail address is "mikebrown@peavey.com".As you know, we manufacture a very wide variety of musical products which sometimes fit a particular need that we don't know about ourselves. Example: Profex II, Tubefex and Transtube Fex. I would appreciate it if you would pass along your experiences with Peavey gear that work well in a steel guitar application. It helps a lot of other customers.

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2000 7:30 pm    

Lennie, I used the following rig live,for electric six string rhythm and lead guitar:

In order of signal path:

Peavey Valverb, Rane PE-15 (5 Band Parametric EQ), ProfexII, CS-200, two 112E cab's.

The sound was fabulous, loud, & clear.

If I were you I would consider persuing and mastering the use of the gear you described.

I also had total versatility with that rig, as far as using any instrument (Tele, Arch-Top, Semi-Hollowbody) with it.

BTW, my E112's came with 4-ohm Black Widows.

The CS200 features adjustable output impedance, but a deliberate mismatch (i.e. an 8 ohm load on the 4 ohm setting could produce a sound you like).