The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pro's and con' between peavey and evans
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 9:12 am    

What is the pro's and con's between Peavey and Evan's?I play through a Nashville 400 but am curious to know what is the difference in the tone between the two amps.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 3:17 pm    

There was a time when I had a Peavey Nashville 400 & an Evans. The Evans had
a warmer tone to it & not quite as harsh
sounding (in the high end) as the 400.
Only thing is the 400 had no Lemay mod or
anything, which is supposed to be excellent.
The Peavey also had more weight to it.

------------------
...and here's who taught me everything I know: CLICK HERE

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 3:33 pm    

That's a very subjective question.

People who like Peavey will tell you the Peavey has better tone, etc.

People who like Evans will tell you the Evans has better tone, etc.

There's no REAL answer to your question.

Same as asking what is better an Emmons or Zumsteel. If someone likes Emmons they will tell you it is better, if someone likes Zumsteels they will tell it's better.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 6:40 pm    

I own one of each. I was perfectly happy with the Nashville 400, until I got the Evans FET-500. The tone of the Evans is absolutely wonderful. Recently, though, I discovered something interesting. I play a Mullen S-12 through a Lexicon digital reverb unit, which is stereo. The two amps, individually, sound so different, but together the sound is HUGE, FAT, and FULL. The two amps, together, really do complement each other.

Now, having said that, I will tell you that I just received a Lemay mod for the Nashville. I pulled the board out a couple of days ago and it is at a friend's shop. He is supposed to swap out the parts for me this week.

Knowing how my luck goes, the Nashville will probably sound great, by itself, but lose that HUGE, FAT, and FULL sound it got with the Evans before the mod was installed.

Oh well....

Lee, from South Texas

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 6:21 am    

I've owned an Evans for about 17 years and I love it! It's sound is very clear, round on the bottom, the ugly midrange is eq'ed out of it and can have a deadly presence if you want to dial it in. I have great difficulty coming anywhere near that sound on my Nashville, but it's a pretty good amp. Combined with my push pull Emmons, the Evans is a deadly combination of tone, before I add my stinky little paws in there. I wouldn't hesitate on buying an Evans, but I hear the new Nashvilles are pretty good too. Also, the Evans has had almost zero repair shop time, it's been extremely reliable.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 6:32 am    

I invite you to try the new Nashville 1000. It definitely has a different voicing and is smooth in all frequency ranges. Thanks.

Ronald Riddle

Bloomington il Mclean
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 8:51 am    

The Nashville 400 Peavey is the only amp that I do not get tired of listening to as the finished sound is there.After searching for the ultimte sound for years I am perfectly satisfied with the 400.Of course after presetting for the effects used in front of the amp thats where it is decided.
My opinion of course Peavey 400 100%.
Ronald Riddle

------------------

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 6:11 am    

I've used Peavey Session 400's for the last fifteen years and never heard a Nashville 400 that could compare to the tone I got. I used a Nashville 400 for about a month and never got the tone quality I got from the sessions. I have one Session 400 LTD and it's tone is good but not as good as the older ones. The only repair in all that time was to replace the baskets and I played them every night. Recently got a nearly new Evans to compare the difference. First thing I had to do was replace the reverb pan and it's only two years old! The tone is good but after two months it still doesn't compare to the session in my opinion. I think it's the size of the cabinet. It's about eight pounds lighter and more compact. I just wanted to see if I could improve my tone but so far the session has it beat. I read where Buddy Emmons thought the old sessions were the best for tone too.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 7:41 am    

I still own a 1974 session 400 (bought it new). It's tone surpasses any 400s built after that year. I had an electonics tech look at mine in comparison to a 1976 and he said that the 76 had some protective circuitry in that my 74 did not. Also the 74 put out an honest 200rms and the 76 got 160rms. I also asked BE about the tone of the 1974 and he said too, that he had a 1974 and thought the tone was warmer in that year. I own two session 400s and the tone between the two amps is very noticable. Answer to this? If you can find 1974 grab it...Or tell me where it is? I would like to have two of them
DD

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2000 6:10 pm    

Marty,
Since you're thinking about these two amps let me make you an offer. I've got the two year old Evans I'll sell to you for half the original price. I'm going to stick with the Peavey's and try the new Session 1000 or 2000. If you're interested, call me at 615-262-1724

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 8:11 am    

Thanks very much for your support and comments. We appreciate it. If you get a chance, please sit down with a Nashville 1000 and you won't have a problem dialing in your tone at all. The new Session 2000, RC2000 and PX300 are all starting to ship, so try those out also if you get a chance. For more information, call me toll free at the factory at 1-877-732-8391.

Thanks again for your support of Peavey products.

Mike Brown
Consumer Information Services(and steeler too!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2000 6:09 pm    

Both are great amps.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com