The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lawrence I-Q 1200
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2000 7:22 pm    

Has anyone tried one of these new toys? What all does it do? Are you happy with it? What do they cost?

Lee, from South Texas

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 9:14 am    

Lee the best thing to do would to call Bill Lawrence and get the straight dope right from him he will send you write ups on the whole thing as soon as I get my new one I will post exactly how it works and what it does. IMHO that is

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 12:16 pm    

Hi Lee. Let me try to describe my impressions of the thing. First off, I use it all the time. How much I dial in varies day to day. B Lawrence told me that with my Geo L TPPP pickup I would not get as much benefit from the IQ as some other pickups might.
Imagine a color TV with the color controls over-adjusted so that all the colors were too bright, popping out at you and distorting the image, with color halos and all. Now imagine turning the control back down and restoring the smoothness of natural color, restoring the outlines, leveling things out.
In my mind at least, that is a pretty ok analogy.
I can't touch the hows and whys but it does level out some of the upper mids that can be boomy and allows the smoothness above (he recommends reducing your high setting and boosting your presence) and below to come through.
I look forward to dialing this in with my new/used Evans that's coming any day.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 1:56 pm    

Jon -

I was actually disappointed using the I-Q 1200 with my Evans and I think it was because it does not have a prescence control. I felt like I couldn't dial in enough highs. I use the I-Q 1200 a lot, however, on a MosValve/Tubeworks preamp rack system with great success (even going through the same Evans speaker). I hope you have more luck.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 3:10 pm    

Steve

Three reasons why it might not work for you

1. IQ1200 cuts the high midrange that most of us call treble (3K..5K) and adds higher freqs that Bill Lawrence calls treble (above 5K) which some of us call presence. If your amp or speaker can't reproduce those high freqs then you won't get the benefit of the IQ1200. Same applies if you have broken off the smallest cilia in your cochlea meaning blown out your hearing from years of playing too loud.

2. Bill Lawrence realizes that many people like the harsh sound of high midrange and says that if you are happy with your sound, then the IQ1200 is not for you.

3. It works best with a Lawrence pickup.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 5:45 pm    

Ernest -

Yeah, you're right. I should say, though, that the I-Q 1200 does work just fine with my rack system (stereo 1x15-inch cabs) and with my Fender Blues Deluxe - a 40 watt, tweed reissue with a single 12-inch (very sweet little amp, btw). Just not with the Evans, which has no prescense control. I just couldn't get the highs I needed for some reason. I think Bill L. will tell you that no 15-inch speaker will reproduce those high (>5K) frequencies very well, but amp setups where there are bass, mid, treb, and prescense seem to work better for me.

BTW - I like the I-Q 1200 and I'm using it with an L710-8 that I got from Bill when I ordered.
Thanks for the input.

db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2000 12:53 pm    

I was always a big fan of the "varitone" function on the Gibson ES-345 ( but could never affort to own one). You could make those "thick" Gibson humbuckers sound like a "fat" 'Strat. I have been waiting for this product for years, and it's even better than I dreamed it would be.
Check out; IQ-1200 product information sheet:
http://www.geocities.com/dbalde.geo/IQ1200.htm
Or talk to Bill, get his phone # off the website:
]http://www.billlawrence.com/]

[This message was edited by db on 26 February 2000 at 10:58 PM.]

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2000 10:21 pm    

Couldn't find any reference to price guys. What's the tariff on it?

db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 8:01 pm    

Cario,
You've got to talk directly to Bill about the price thing.
His phone # is on the website somewhere.
I think it's around a "C" note. Ha-Ha

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 9:55 pm    

Earnest you are totally COOL! I love it; QUOTE:
"Blown out the smallest cilia in your cochlea". By the way, old age causes it too.
The tragic part is that a lot of guys don't know they have hearing loss. All they can hear is volume changes. Sometimes I feel like I am giving a hearing test when I demonstrate my products to the public.

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 28 February 2000 at 10:00 PM.]

Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 6:12 am    

I use mine every day. I also installed Lawrence 710-8 pickups on both necks. One of the things Bill told me is that there are to ranges for adjusting the IQ 1200 dial. One is from 12 o'clock to full forward and the other is from full back to 12 o'clock. Use your regular amp settings for the first range and begin at 12 o'clock and dial in the tones you like by moving the dial forward. For the second range, turn your bass and presence up and turn your treble and midrange down. On my Demeter bass preamp I use 9 o'clock for treble and midrange and three o'clock for bass and presence. Start from full back and turn feed dial towards 12 o'clock to dial in tones you like.

Bill cole

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 10:46 am    

You can call Bill or Becky toll free at 1-877-647-2651 they can and will give you all the info

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 12:03 pm    

Also worth noting: full forward = no effect. I was told to 'hold the throttle back' by ~1/3 or more as a rule of thumb (what the hell does a 'rule of thumb' mean, anyway?).
SF

Bill cole

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 12:10 pm    

It would differ with who's thumb your measureing the rule by now I have a medium thumd so my rule may not be as large as your's or some one with a bigger thumb I never could figure out just what my dad was refering to when he would say that to me but I think it had something to do with the axe it was a rule of thumb to split a cord of wook before dinner and if you didn't then the boot rule took over and of course we all know what was about to happen when the boot rule took over and if you were un sure what was coming just wait you would find out

Bill cole

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 12:12 pm    

Steve are you playing steel or running a battle ship

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 6:11 pm    

Actually, I brought my lunch....

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 6:32 pm    

Hey, Bill:
What's a 'cord of wook'?

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 29 February 2000 at 06:33 PM.]

Bill cole

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 9:45 pm    

That's a cord of wood and it's a lot of wook

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 7:56 am    

So have any of you guys tried to hook up a tweeter or other extended range speakers like Bill recommended? If so, how did you do it and what do you think?

Bill cole

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 8:46 am    

nope but I'm working on it now and will post the results. And if it is anything like all the rest of the equip. he talks about it's got to be good and if you think about it. It all makes sence that if your 15 incher only goe's to 5000 then the rest of the highs are lost

[This message was edited by Bill cole on 01 March 2000 at 08:49 AM.]

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 9:12 am    

Quote:
It all makes sence that if your 15 incher only goe's to 5000 then the rest of the highs are lost

I agree, Bill (Cole), but with my current setup (stereo 15s and a real clean tube preamp, etc.), I don't think I could stand any more highs. I have all I need and then some. I can't see adding that wide-range speaker that Bill (L) suggests. I don't think I need it.
Steve

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 3:12 pm    

I have hooked up a little Radio shack super tweeter (Bill said this was ok, just straight-up, in parallel, at living room levels). I suppose it's an acquired taste but I don't much care for--words like brittle, cold, come to mind. You know that sound of an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup, straight into the board?
This is by no means a final judgment. It's a different sound, that's for sure.

Bill cole

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2000 4:39 pm    

Steve it may not be something I will like after I try it but the cost is light so if it enhances my BW even a little . But it is my understanding that with a JBL D 130 F that you do not need the tweeter cause the JBL put out higher in the area of 8000 or a little higher