The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Crown Power Amps
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 10:37 am    

To the forum at large:

Does anyone have experience using Crown power amps in their rack setup? If so, what model of Crown amp are (did) you use, what are (were) you using for a preamp and what is (was) your speaker choice for output?

Finally what's your opinion of the the result. I'm thinking of using a Crown CE 1000 with my Evans ESPA preamp and Lexicon MPX-100.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 11:01 am    

Glenn.. Crown amps are great amps. I use them exclusively in the studio. For the monitors I use a dc150a. For rack gear like guitars and pedals steel I use a D300a. The power is just clean. Period. The amp will then take on the charicteristics of the pre amp and speaker combination. Most guys in my studio use 2x12's. But have had guys bring in single 15's. Both sound great. The 12's have a quicker responce time. Less cone to move. I haven't used the crowns with the Evans pre though.

Most of my expierence has been with the studio cats with this combination. Live I've only used crown for mains and monitors.

------------------
Joe

"76" Fender Artist S-10

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 11:30 am    

Joe,

Thanks for your reply. It's about what I expected.

Incidently, have you heard of, or met a steel guitarist in Naperville by the name Paul Carestia? He was my PSG mentor years ago (I used to live in Batavia). If you haven't, he's an excellent steel picker. I think he's playing with a band called Rancho DeLuxe in the Chicago area. On the otherhand, if you know him, 'next time you see him, tell him I said "Howdy"!

Thanks again for the info!

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 12:28 pm    

Hey Glenn,

Don't know him but will keep an ear open for him. Have heard of the band though. I played guitar in a band called DESPERADO for the past 12 years. I'm sure I've run past him a few times. Now its time to learn this new thing with pedals !@#$%^&

Joe

Dan Crook

Cypress, TX, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 4:27 pm    

Paul was my teacher also when I lived in Calumet City, IL back in 1980. I heard a couple of months ago he is still picking. For anyone who gets to the Chicago area, stop in to hear the band and tell Paul I said hello.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2000 7:51 pm    

Glenn,
I have tried my Crown 150 with my Mesa tube preamp and the best description I can give is that it was a very lifeless sound without much character. I know that's a poor description of tone but it's the best i can think of at the moment. I have tried it several times and each time have given up o it pretty quickly. When I use a rack system these days I use a Mosvalve power amp.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 5:52 pm    

I used Crown amps for 25 years or more.
Mostly D-75's as monitors in broadcast studios, post production edit suites and recording studios.
Never had any of them cause any trouble at all. Can't think of any other electronic device that has been so dependable and trouble free.
In most cases, my amps ran for 24 hours a day..never turned off.
Since they are so clean, you'd have to add an
external effects/eq unit to make them sound good with a steel guitar.
Blake