The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  OHMS. reading for stock Emmons pick-ups?
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 5:22 am    

Could someone tell me the approx. OHMS reading for stock Emmons pick-ups, such as on the P/P guitars? Also, is there a difference between the C6 and E9 neck pick-ups?.......Thanks, Carson

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 6:03 am    

Carson,
I suspect that they were not that consistant but normally lower ratings than most modern pickups. I just received a 66 P/P from Mike Cass last week and he told me both necks were wound to 13,800. I think I remember Buddy Emmons answering a question about pickups saying his Legrand was wound to 20,000.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 1:11 pm    

Right...they're usually around 14,000 to
15,000 ohms. Both necks are usually the same more or less.

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 7:56 pm    

Hi carson,I PLAYED A 1965 EMMONS S-10 FOR MANY YEARS, IN THE 70'S THE PICKUP WAS WOUND AT 16,500 OHMS DC.

------------------
Jerry Wallace-LegrandeII,D-10,8+6,Nashville 1000,Webb 6-14e,tubefex,profexII, ARTESIA, NEW MEX

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 5:11 am    

Bit of Trivia,

Low frequencies travel more easily thru open air than do hi frequencies. What one hears coming out of an amp sitting a couple of feet benind their ears is NOT what the listener out in the audience hears with respect to the audio frequency spectrum.

Carrying that a step further and knowing the genious of Ron Lashley, I suspect that is what caused him to have all those early PU's wound to a much lower resistance than present day PU's.

And as such, those ole original P-P's, are much brighter than those with the higher ohm readings. Which give a more bassy sound.

One final note, for those electronic folk out there, I am fully aware that the resistance of a PU has nothing to do with its impedance. However everything else being equal, (except for additional windings in the same direction and manner) higher vs lower resistance readings become somewhat relative when choosing one PU vs another.

Walk with Jesus and all things will be better.

carl

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 9:35 am    

Carl,

You knew I couldn't resist. You're right about the DC resistance. However, remember this is an inductive circuit and along with a different DC resistance measurement, the Inductance (Henry's), Q, etc., will all change and not necessarily linearly.

If as you say, as a general rule the stock Emmons pickups tend to be more bassier as the DC resistance of the windings is increased. However, because of the AC/inductance parameters one that measures 18.5K DC could be bassier than one that measures 20K DC.

I'll back out and keep my 2C to myself now.

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 11:45 am    

What Carl says really holds true !! A friend of mine rigged up a mike cord about 100 feer long, and using a Tascam 4 track recorder, walked all over the Dance hall while we were playing a song, starting out in the middle of us on the band stand, and then going all over. It was a BIG lesson to me to hear the difference in the sound out on the dance floor !! Caused me to ADD some treble to my Evans Amp !!

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

[This message was edited by Moon in Alaska on 17 February 2000 at 11:46 AM.]

[This message was edited by Moon in Alaska on 17 February 2000 at 11:47 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2000 7:10 pm    

Moon is right again! I also bump the treble way up because what sounds "good" on stage is often "muddy" in the audience. It is very rare that I hear too much treble from a steelman, but many are far too muddy-soggy-damp-bassy for my liking. It's a humbling experience to hear a tape of the band made from 50 feet away from the stage!

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 8:25 am    

Oh, I don't know about that. I've heard
some steelers that have enough treble to
make your eardrums bleed. Way to harsh.
I guess it can work both ways.

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2000 2:35 pm    

Well, I finally got the pick-up tested and it shows 23,500 to 24,000 ohms. I should have tested this thing a long time ago, but I thought it was just the nature of the guitar to bit a little dark sounding. What really got me wondering about this was reading so much about the great high end on these old P/P guitars on the FORUM. Mine has never had those great highs without turning the treble and presence way up. Can anything be done to the original pick-up to change it? If not, where can I get another stock Emmons pick-up with a lower ohms reading? I am even thinking of trying a humbucking pick-up. I have been told an L-705(humbucking?) will work good and also an E-66 will work with a little modification. I don't want to lose that great bottom end that this thing has, I just want a little more highs.......Any info is much appreciated........Carson

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2000 12:04 am    

Carson
Have you tried a buffer amp yet? (meaning Match Box or similar)

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2000 6:05 am    

Carson,

Call Emmons and ask to have a single coil shipped to you wound for a brite sound.

take care and walk with Jesus,

carl

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 8:05 am    

Gee whiz, I've never heard of a P/P stock
pickup with that high of a reading!
Are you sure that meter you're using is
accurate?
-----------------

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 10:13 am    

Jay: I checked it a few times, because I didn't believe it either. I used an alnalog tester, but I'm going to test it again with a digital one to make sure. I made sure the tester was set to "0" first also, by touching the probes and setting the dial. The pick-up could have been changed before I bought the guitar, I didn't buy it new.....Regards, Carson

Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2000 4:14 am    

b0b: You can close this one now if you like.......Thanks, Carson