The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Peterson.....POD question???
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 7:43 pm    

Hi Jeff....I'm seriously thinking about getting a POD, cuz my present preamp/ multi effects box is coughing and wheezing, & showing signs of a terminal illness. I was just wondering if you might find it in your heart to share some of your starting parameters ( using their software )so I can get on the road to using it onstage ASAP.
Also I was thinking that maybe you could use some of your influence with the LINE 6 folks
(I too saw the brochure at NAMM)...to persuade them to possibly create a couple models of some steel amps....e.g. 15 inch spkrs. & big headroom etc. I'm sure that would instantly sell alot of them to the steel gtr. community. Thanks in advance.
Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 12:52 am    

Thought I'd post again to bring it back to the top.....;o)

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 9:48 am    

Rick,
I really have never tried mine with the steel yet. I'm still trying to figure out all of the guitar possiblities, which is a lot. I am sold on the guitar models. Although, I would think models for immulating steel amps would be required to get the tone and headroom you need, but that's a great question I would like someone like Jeff to offer his input. Wouldn't that be cool if they did these models so you could call up a Nashville 400, Evans, Sho-Bud amps? I know that Pete Anderson is one of the guys involved in the model development. He said that Line6 is coming out with a rack unit. I hear you can download models off the net somewhere. I wonder if any steel amps are are available there?

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 11:53 am    

Hey Guys,
There are alot of sounds in the POD, but kind of limited in the effects department. It's real nice if you only use chorus & reverb, delay and reverb, etc. If you use compression all the time it's hard...easier with SoundDiver. You're stuck on the job if you want to change parameters..you can only do it through your computer so you'd better be clear with what you want.
I like the Tweed Blues best for over-all straight steel sound. My basics are:
Output 5 to 6
Drive 3 (yes, for some character)
Bass 6
Middle 5
Treble 6 to 7
Channel 5 to 6
Reverb 3 1/2 (room-longer decay)
(spring-shorter decay)
Effect compressor 2nd setting(3 to 4)
It's hard to nail down ALL the settings in the program as I'm still in the experimental stage. There are so many speaker cabs and amp combinations I can't go through all of them at one sitting 'cause the ears start playing funny tricks on you.
One thing for certain, that little kidney-bean is pure fun to noodle with.
By the way, the 100w 2X12 Flextone is a great sounding amp. No, this doesn't mean I'm trading in my Peavey's. I'm still using Peavey's on the gig, but I'm always trying new stuff...that's what I've always liked about Peavey....they're not afraid of change.
If you want more info, I'll take some notes the next time I'm in the SoundDiver, OK?

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 1:48 pm    

Jeff....that's really cool of you to share your time & ideas. Thanks alot! Youre a gentleman & a scholar....and a pickin' son of a gun!!!!
I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more tidbits you might have tho offer. Thanks again.Rick