The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bass/Treble settings on 400
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 5:52 pm    

Any of you guys ever run bass full open and compensate with more treble/presence settings to get the most out of your amp? I have recently cut back on bass control and had to cut the high end at the same time to mellow the highs. Seems like it starves the amp a bit and have less fat tone. Opinions vary on preference of tone. I know of one steel player that uses no bass.???
Dennis

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 6:45 pm    

Hey Dennis I experimented the other night with that idea on my Fender twin. I turned everything all the way up(open) and cut just a little highs and man that amp screeeeeemed. Makes alot of since.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
ICQ# 62060713
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 8:56 am    

Dennis,
I use Bass wide open, treble 0 to 3, pres. 9, I guess it would depend what kind of guitar you have and the pickupas to what tone you will wind up with, BTW this is NV 400 I'm using.

------------------
Give Thanks Everyday
Kenny
66 Emmons 8&7

Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 9:19 am    

I have a Nash 400 that I run with NO bass at all. Sounds weird but I like it. It's P.F.amp settings that I got from an article written about him some time ago so I don't know if he is still doing the same.
Dave Frye ShoBud S12 Ext E9th

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 9:20 am    

It would also depend on whether the Nashville 400 had the tone mod or not. I have a newer one with the factory tone mod and I wouldn't dare run the low all the way up. However, with the older Nashville 400's, I was never able to find a decent tone setting on them.

I run the low at +6, 800Hz/-3 and treble and presence on +3. This is on a Franklin D-10 with Lawrence 710 pickups.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 17 February 2000 at 09:22 AM.]

Ron Forrest

Logan Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 8:50 pm    

Dennis,
You might try getting the tone mod from peavey. It helped my amp out a bunch and was very easy to install. I don't think I could run the bass setting all the way up on my amp now either.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 9:42 pm    

Thanks for the input...
I am using a 1974 and 1976 session 400s with LeMay repro kits in them. It has boosted the low end control also. I used to run bass wide open and brighten the lows with treble and presence. Recently cut the bass to about 7 and dropped the presence and treble to mellow the highs. I'm going to try my original settings again this weekend. Always seemed to get a little more "balls" the original way, but the latest method has a warm sound to it. Will keep you posted.
Thanks Guys
Dennis

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2000 9:54 pm    

After resetting controls at home and then fine tuning them on the job..I seem to get more out of the amp and better seperation of notes by running the bass full or near full open and kicking up the treble and presence to bring it out of the mud...if the high notes are too thin then cutting the presence back a little to take the edge off. The amp is not starving now..more clean power. More punch. One older steel player told me one time to start with the knobs turned to the far right and then cut back on what you don't want rather than bringing the knobs up from the bottom and adding tone...Seems like a logical theory??
DD

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 7:07 am    

I seem to recall bOb mentioned he runs the bass on full and adds treble, presence & mid to taste.

Mr.Wade

Fitchburg,Ma.Usa.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2000 12:49 pm    

Dennis,I Have 1995 Nashville 400,I Will Give You My Settings That I Use,And I Have No Problums With This Setting....
I Run My Bass--3 O`Clock
My Mid --12 Noon
My Shift--12 Noon
My Treble--10 O`clock
My Presence--2 O`Colck
---------------------------------------------
So Try That And See What You Get For A Sound,Iam Happy With The Setting I Have Now..

------------------

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2000 9:54 am    

Dennis,
sounds like you're doing about the same thing i'm doing, as stated in my earlier post. one of my 400's has the factory mod, the other has the Le may, which sounds lot's better to me, fill's up a lot of space and really clean and crisp(not brite),going to put the Lemay in the other one.Honestly, they sound better than my Webbs.

------------------
Give Thanks Everyday
Kenny
66 Emmons 8&7