The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Now a connector?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 4:02 pm    

Great responses to the cable question on another thread! How about connectors? One setup I have is with a Peavey DPC 1400X poweramp. This poweramp has 1/4" speaker jacks and also bannana speaker jacks. The bannana jacks have a tight fit and you can see that the wire is less likely to accidently pull out. Do you think there is a diffrence in musical response with the bannana jacks and why are there no bannana jacks on small speaker cabs? If the wire makes a difference in the signal then the signal ends up at the jack. Is this question splitting hairs or?

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 4:57 pm    

Lee
How do you like the DPC 1400X??. What is hooked up with the DPC1400 (speakers, Profex or Trans/tubefex etc). My friend in West Palm Beach has the DPC 1000. Nice sounding power amp. I'm currently using a Mackie 1400i powre amp. Very heavy amp but sure does sound great with my Profex & Transtubefex. I'm using s set of Peavey 112Es. Please Reply about the DPC 1400.
Ken

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 5:09 pm    

Hello Ken:
My primary rack setup is the Peavey DPC 1400X poweramp with a Roland GP-100 and two Marrs cabs with 15" JBL-D130 speakers and I use this setup mostly for recording. I enjoy experimenting with equipment as the sign on my studio wall states "Life is too short for bad tone" However, when I play with a band I use a combo amp and a couple of stomp boxes!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 3:22 am    

At first glance, I'd say the binding posts are better because there is a better mechanical contact.

However, electrical contact is the big thing here and as long as there is a zero resistance contact in the connector and this zero resistance carries over to the cabling it shouldn't really make a difference.

If I had a system in a permanent location, I'd probably use the binding posts. But, in a mobile (gig) situation where it is being set up/torn down I'd go with the 1/4" plugs.

As far as the gold plated connectors it is true gold is a better conductor, but in practical applications, as we musicians encounter, it is overkill and a marketing ploy (I feel the same way about home audio - the gold is not necessary).

Just make sure a good grade plug is used, not some lesser grade "imported" plug. Also make sure you use plugs with metal (grounded) exterior sleeves, not the kind with plastic sleeves or the old military PL55/telephone type plugs with a bakelite sleeve. The non metalic types do not shield and there is a potential for noise/hum to be introduced at the connector.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 5:23 am    

Way to go jack! I agree with you about the plastic sleeves on 1/4" jacks. Also, if you step on them once they crush and then you have to unsolder the jack to replace the sleeve. It would be nice if there was a 1/4" solderless jack for speaker wire like the George L type.
Len Amaral

Mark Amundson

Cambridge, MN USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 6:13 am    

In the world of guitar amp speaker connectors, the double banana plugs (Pomona MDP's) beat 1/4" plugs because of the above mentioned greater contact area. However, both of these connectors are only rated for 10 amps (400watts @ 4ohms) capability. That should cover most guitar amp applications. For PA stuff bigger than 10 amps, the cabling should use stripped or crimp-on ring or spade lugs to the binding posts to take advantage of the binding post's 15 amp rating. The newer Neutrik Speakon connectors will become popular in the future as they have a 20 amp rating (30 amp peak).

One tip on using dual bananas or 1/4" metal plugs for speaker connections; have some shrink tubing over the metal grip (1/4") or the screw orifaces (bananas) to keep your hands from being part of the speaker return circuit. Electrical tape will suffice if you are not picky. Just trying to be safe here.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 7:36 am    

My QSC power amp uses both banana plug/binding post and speakon connectors. I put speakon jacks in both my speakers and made a couple of real heavy cables.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 1:10 pm    

Well, let me ask this.

Why haven't "we" gone to "canon" connectors??

Th eonly advantage I see to 1/4", and "banana plugs" is that if stepped on/pulled on in just the right way, they'll pull out of the socket, and not take "your" amp with it.

Now I don't know why I like the idea of canon connectors, but it's a thought that I've had for many years.

It's certainly a "positive" connection, and it dang well won't pull out. I do realize that they are a might more expensive, but then so are the speak-ons.

Well, like I said before,it's just a curiosity, but I would like to know the answer.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 1:45 pm    

The only problem I could see with using Cannon plugs, would be the occasional moron that would try to plug his microphone into the speaker output.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2000 11:44 am    

I have a friend who plays a telecaster, who installed a cannon receptacle in his guitar and uses them to a switchng box so he can use two amps. One amp is switched on to use his accoustic pickup on his tele to the accoustic amp, and the other goes to his twin for normal tele sounds. It works really well and his accoustic sound is great. The cannon connector has the wire connections for this.