The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss VF-1 Anyone tried it??
George Webb

Mississauga, Ont, CAN
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 9:40 am    

Boss has a new Guitar Processor ... the VF-1. It looks great on paper. Has anyone tried it? Does it compare to the Roland GP-100 or GX 700?
George Webb

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 10:22 am    

Yes, just bought one, and it is pretty amazing!!!Sort of like an upgraded GX-700. It is 24 bit processing and it is much quieter!

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 10:40 am    

Yea, I got one about 3 weeks ago. Great unit. Tons of optios. Im in the process of just finding a couple that work for me. Built in chromatic tuner also.

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 11:41 am    

George, I tried one about Two Weeks ago,
amazing unit, I just found I couldn't get
rid of slightly "Digital Sound". Maybe I"m
to picky but I still think these Digital
units are a little cold sounding. Give it
a whirl though, everybody is different!
Greg

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 12:56 pm    

Here are some reviews from Harmony Central.
Maybe they need some reviews fro a steel guitar player.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Boss/VF_1-01.html

Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 7:23 pm    

I spent a couple days with a VF-1 a few months ago. For the price it offers alot of "bang for the buck" but as usual with the multi-effect processors it tries to do too much. Being steel players I am supposing we are looking for primarily a good reverb with delay, with maybe a little chorous and eq in the bargain. While it sounds better than some of the other digital units on the market, it falls short when compared to other single function units available.

Chris Lang

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 5:09 am    

Keep in mind, that if you want to run it inline(steel into the VF-1, then out to the input of the amp), it is best to turn the preamp section in the VF-1 way down or off as to not overdrive the steel amps. preamp. I use mine in the post EQ effects loop of the Nash. 1000, and it is super quiet! Also the footswitch on the Nash.1000 allows me to switch the whole processer on or off.

[This message was edited by Chris Lang on 07 March 2006 at 06:33 AM.]

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 6:08 pm    

I havent tried the VF-1 because I havent been able to find one but I did put the GT-3 which is a floor model with a volume pedal to the test 2 weeks ago. They are the same price and appear to be the same thing but roland tells me the GT-3 is geared more toward guitar. I had a gx-700 a few months ago and thought it was noisey and just was to digital.I play with a local gospel group but they are excellent singers and have a decent band. We rehearsed on friday night at the church we were playing at on saturday night. I use a push pull with a mesa boogie preamp and a mosvalve power amp and a kog a3. On saturday I went to a local music store and borrowed the GT-3 took it to the church unplugged my mesa plugged in the gt-3 went straight to the twin reverb clean setting and was blowed away. I never touched anything and when we did sound check that night several of the group members turned around and asked what I had done to my sound. I double on guitar I use a custom built tele with a blackface princeton reverb Dan Torres redid for me with a JBL in it and my guitar sounded as good through the Gt-3 as it did through my princeton.I dont really want a floor unit but I tell you I was impressed and maybe it just matched up to my equipment but I liked it. Ive tried a lot of things this year tring to get the sound I want about every power amp out there evans amps preamps stereo steel stewart I I would rate this as the best sound Ive had. I think they are on the right track with this physical modeling if they keep impproving it.When I went back to the store we took it with guitar and plugged it into the effects loop of a new fender deluxe deville which is a great sounding amp and listened to the sound. Then we unhooked and listened to the sound of the fender pre amp. The fender still sounded a little warmer a maybe a little better but it was definatly the same kind of sound and when it gets so close you have to a b it to tell the difference it is getting close

Jeff

------------------

George Webb

Mississauga, Ont, CAN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2000 8:21 am    

Thanks for everyone's comments. It sounds like a winner for the price. I wanted to be able to to use it for steel and lead with minimal time to switch between the two.
I'm wondering about a few things.
Is it easy to switch from one patch to another quickly? (how many button pushes?)
Is it easy to modify a parameter while in a patch? (like reverb level)
Can the output level of the VF-1 be adjusted, or just the input?
Thanks again,
George