The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Profex II hum.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 1:40 pm    

Do you Profex users that go from Profex to power amp experience much hum? How do you go about reducing it? I moved the power amp out of the rack with the Profex and that helped a little. How do you set the input & output levels?

I'm using a QSC PLX-1202 power amp. I also have an Evans Preamp that does not produce near the hum that the Profex does.

Thanks for any suggestions.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 2:44 pm    

Richard
I had the same problem with my rack unit,(amp, profex & transtubefex). I purchased these plastic folding insert tabs from Mars Music store here in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. These gizzmos are called 'HUM FREES" they sell for about $5.00. You might have a ground loop problem. Also see January 24 forum post called "huming" it's on the same page as your post, 1/24/2000. I had an earlier reply post on this subject dated 1/24/2000.

dave krusell

missouri
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 11:33 am    

Richard you might want to try using a ground lift and reverse the plug. This has worked for me in the past. dave

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 4:11 pm    

Richard, a ProFex II has a volume in front, one in back and a program volume. If any of these are set to high, it can increase hum. Keep ProFex II away from pickups. I got hum when ProFex II was on a desk a foot away from my pickups. Any electrical "FIELD" to close to strings, pickup, power amp,effect units, pre-amps or anything else can cause hum. Florescent and types colored lights can cause hum. Dimmer switches cause hum. Ground loops in your cords or the building wiring can cause hum. Old guitar cords may work, but the shielding may not protect anymore. You may have pre-amps, or other stuff in line creating a really strong signal.
I could not get rid of the terrible hum when I played at the Roy Clark Theater. Away from the theater, there was no hum, out of the "SAME" equipment hooked up the same. It almost drove me crazy! I spent several hundreds of dollars on power line conditioners ETC---and nothing helped. When you get a hum, a good rule of thumb is to not blame the quipment--especially Peavey. People like Peavey would go broke if their stuff created hum--so it don't. There is something in the arrangement of connecting parts, or how they are set, that is causing the hum. Sometimes this is not easily found. Sometimes simply moving to a different location can solve the problem.

------------------

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2000 12:52 pm    

Hey, Richard.... let me have a look at the Profex at our next steel jam. I've worked with audio gear since I was a kid (even helped build and run a 24-track studio some years ago), so I can break audio stuff with the best of 'em.