The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anybody use any other preamp settings for GX-700?
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 5:22 pm    

I've been recording with my GX-700 for the last year or so and I'm a little disappointed at the "thinness" I'm getting from the Twin preamp setting. Has anybody tried some of the other settings with success?

Brian Stear

W.Peoria,Il.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2000 7:36 pm    

John, both Jerry Gleason and Dan Tyack have used this processor and recommend it. If they don't answer your post, I would suggest getting in touch with them. They both get great sounds from their steels........Brian

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 1:55 am    

The amp-modeled sounds are thinner. Guitar players like that, but steel players usually don't. You can change that with the EQ, or with the tone controls on the amlated guitar amp.

I often use the Soldano amp emulation. I keep tha volume down at 1 or 2 out of 100 to avoid the distorted crunch sound, I've used all of them, especially Matchless and Fender. But most often I use non of them.

BTW my GX-700 makes some digital garbage noises on some settings. For example any parametric EQ with a Q of 4 or more makes a zoo of tomes,e evn when you're not playing into it. Q=16 can get interesting.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 5:24 am    

Hey Earnest, is that a good thing?

Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 7:13 am    

Earnest,

What Q value have you found to be the quietest? I have a GP-100 and have noticed a trace amount of white noise on certain patches. Maybe it could be attributed to the Q setting.

Thanks,

Tommy D.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 7:21 am    

John, I too find the twin a little thin for my taste. I use the Roland Jazz chorus amp model, it's a lot more like a session.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 12:10 pm    

My current favorite patches on the GX-700 use either the Roland JC-120 model or the twin, but sometimes I don't use a preamp model at all, just the eq. I generally don't use the eq and preamp models together.

There are so many ways to set this thing up and get a different sound. I've had the best sound by going straight from the guitar into the input jack, and putting the volume pedal in the effects loop. If I'm using a preamp model, I put that in the chain as the first thing, before the volume pedal. That gives an entirely different sound and feel than loading the preamp with variable gain from the volume pedal. Sometimes I might use a compressor as the first thing in the chain, also before the volume pedal.

I haven't had any strange noise problems with mine, but sometimes it wants to start up with patch #51, even if I haven't used that one before.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 12:45 am    

Tommy asked :
Quote:
What Q value have you found to be the quietest? I have a GP-100 and have noticed a trace amount of white noise on certain patches. Maybe it could be attributed to the Q setting.

I only remember noises on Q=4,8,16. The rest, which are 0.5,1,2, seemed OK. This wasn't white noise. It was beeps and growling and a constant tone around 3KHz or who knows what. Digital noise is much more interesting than analog noise.

Mine does have good old white noise (hiss) when the compressor is on. So check for that in your noisy patches. I don't use it (compressor) much anymore.

I'm with Jerry on the order of effects. Funny, that's the default way that Boss sequenced them.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 8:34 am    

I'm moving this to the Electronics area, since that's where people would search for this kind of information.