The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help, Can't control reverb
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 2:28 pm    

I'm not familiar with that particular reverb unit, but if you have an "external" reverb unit you don't need the one in the amp. Make sure that one is turned off (it if won't turn off then you have a problem with the amp). Make sure the external reverb unit is disconnected and then try the amp, with the reverb turned off. If there is no reverb then the amp is OK and the problem is in the external unit. The volume pedal should not cause your symptom, but during troubleshooting connect the output of the guitar directly to the amp input jack (this breaks it down to the minimum components needed).

As far as the external unit, running it through an effects loop should work fine as long as it is an "instrument level" unit and not a "line" level unit, and you should be able to adjust the reverb on the external unit. If the unit will not adjust, then the problem is in the external reverb. There should be a gain or feedback or mix or something to that affect on the external reverb unit to adjust the amount of reverb that is mixed into the signal.

It it's a "line" (approx 1volt) level unit, then you will have to run it between the preamp out and the power amp jacks on the back of the amp. Running a "line" level type device in the effects loops, may be too much for it and even tho it's turned down there may still be enough signal getting through.

You say you have a Session 400 LTD. The LTD has more than one instrument level effects loop on the front panel, have you tried the reverb unit in all the effects loops??

Let us know the outcome after you try isolating the problem.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 9:25 am    

Jack, I don't believe that the LTD has an effects loop on the front.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 9:09 pm    

Phil, sorry I'm not that familiar with your amp. Let me ask a couple of questions.

1. Why are you running it through the effects loop...is it a rack unit?

2. You said you tried it inline...does that mean you pugged your vol. pedal into the unit, and then the unit into the amp input?

3. Have you tried this unit with any other amp?

4. How do you know the unit is good? Maybe it's defective. What do the instructions say?