The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stomp boxes for steel
Garry Pugh

Nashville Indiana
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 8:19 am    

When playing my Tele I generally prefer to use Boss stomp boxes for effects. There are times when I'd like to carry just one set of effects rather than a rack for psg and a board for guitar.

I used a Boss DD-2 for years and liked it a lot. I've yet to find a good digital pedal for Reverb. Also, I like to have a good quality chorus for the occasional times I use chorus or a rotary effects. Anybody have any specific model recommendations. Thanks

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 11:34 am    

Garry,

The only stomp boxes I use are (and one doesn't really qualify as a stomp box): the Jordan Bosstone (This plugs directly into the guitar jack. Hence, not really a stomp box) and an old MXR "Envelope Filter". In my opinion the MXR "EF" is the best voltage controlled auto filtering device not including any high dollar professional studio gear.

I don't use either of these for anything other than the occasional "sound effect" addition to my playing.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 12:51 pm    

I own one of the Boss RV-3 units and find it too noisy to use for most applications.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 1:34 pm    

I am quite possibly less disciminating at this point than you, Dean, so I have no complaints about my RV-3 (I do no studio work and I consider noise not too relevant on the stand). My Peavey springs were giving me trouble and the RV-3 has been a fine replacement. I still haven't figured what I want in a delay so I am not using the delay settings.
BTW--I was warned that it was a battery hog so I've only been running it off an AC adapter.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 12-16-99]

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 2:00 pm    

Jon, the DD2 is also a battery hog. I always use mine, I just plug the "wall wart" into my power strip that's built into my seat. I also have a chorus, but only use it at home.

I am just plain gettin to (hrmph) old to be totin two heavy amps around.

I'm sure that there is many out there that are better, but for me, it's good enough.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 10:45 pm    

The Hughes and Kettner tube rotoshere is pretty happening for leslie sounds. I also use an Ibanese tube screamer sometimes.

Bob

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 16 Dec 1999 11:22 pm    

There are a few good new ones around, I've played w/ a Korg AX1000G...which worked really nice w/ every guitar I plugged into it, (lap, pedal, gibson, fender,prs)...I'd buy one if i was looking for one....It seems to meet the criteria you are looking for...check one out if you can...
Aloha,
Mike

Dean Forshee

Benicia, California
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 4:25 am    

As for the delay, seems to me you can get away with using the cheaper stomps. I use an "inline" (that's the brand name) delay with a tele, and everyone raves about the tone. It can't be that that particular stomp box is so wonderful, I only paid about 50 bucks for it, new. I think you can use just about anything to put on a little delay, just to fatten up the sound.

lakeshrk

Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 4:40 am    

You guys might want to check out a Line 6 pod.Its a small unit that will give you good reverb sounds and different amp sounds.You can also use it to send a direct single to your P.A. system that will sound good without fancy adjustments to the P.A. . ls

Dean Brown

Austin, Tx.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 6:00 am    

I've tried all types of "boxes" with my steel trying to find "that sound". Pre-amps and virtual amps tend to color the sound of the amp and they usually reduce sustain. The best sound (so far) I've achieved is My steel, a DOD EQ pedal, the Aleses Nanoverb for delay. I use this with a Nashville 1000, but this sounds good through my little Peavey practice amp.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 1999 7:16 pm    

I'm using a Boss ME-5 that I used to use (and still do) for regular guitar work. You can preset up to 5 effects on each patch, and easily reach the switch with your volume pedal foot to switch between any of 4 patches during a song. (you have to press another button to get more than 4 available at once-that's tough on a steel.) The effects are-Compression,Overdrive,EQ,Chorus/flange,and reverb/delay.
I've taken to a patch for ballads I love-a little delay with overdrive (low) from the ME-5, then Reverb on the 65 twin. COOL!

I've been getting more than a few guys asking me about it, so it must sound ok-I haven't been playing long enough to have tried a bunch-Dick Meis likes it.

I've got a great patch built for crunch steel as well. Use it in the rock band-we play a Heavy Metal version of "Love Hurts" and and that C neck just screams!

John

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Dec 1999 5:28 am    

Gary: Check out the new Peavey Max 100. This is a really cool pedal, and it does a ton of stuff. This pedal has more effects built into it that you might probably ever use, but... it's all there should you want to.