The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stupid Effects Setting Question, Number 1
Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 11:32 am    

OK, I admit it. I'm an Effects Dummy. Back in the 60s I was taught by the Jazz Masters after hearing a guy cut loose with full fuzz and pedal, "It would be so much easier to just learn to play guitar." So, I never learned effects, knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Well, in the days of direct recording boxes, amplifiers with more balances, tone controls, and more knobs than Radio Shack, I've just GOT to learn how to use effects wisely and properly to get a nice, pleasent tone. This would be so much easier if I could just bring in a rack, watch you set it, and listen to the differences, but assume that won't happen. I would like for you guys to teach me, and all of the other closet effects dummies of the world, how to "properly" set up your tone and effects.

Let's start with a common, easy one, the Equalizer. My unit has patches for 8 channel, 16 channel and Geometric equalization. The channels seem just to control the various frequiences and I don't have a clue of what the other one actually does. If I played a piano, I'd be all set and adjust volume of each of the keys to be the same for consistent harmonies on chords. I try to adjust the EQ with my open strings setting it up so each string consistently sounds roughly the same volume as all of the rest and to get the same volume for any grip or combination. I try to do this set up with my amp on and the tone controls set where I normally play with them, (I use a set of head phones to do the same thing with my direct box.)

So, am I doing this right? Am I even in the right direction? Is there something else I'm suppose to be using EQ for? What am I missing here? And what in the world does this other thing do and should I use it in combination with the other settings? HELP!!!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 12:44 pm    

Quote:
I try to adjust the EQ with my open strings setting it up so each string consistently sounds roughly the same volume as all of the rest and to get the same volume for any grip or combination.

That's not what EQ is for. Every band in the EQ will affect the sound of every string, except that the very low frequency bands will not affect your high notes.

If you want to learn what the EQ is doing, there's really no better way than to raise or lower some of those frequencies, and listen to what it does. You may not need a fancy 8-band or 16-band or parametric EQ at all.

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 4:41 pm    

OK, the open string thing didn't make sense to me either, that's why I asked.

I've tried running the frequencies up and down, with either little noticable effect or it just makes the tone of the whole thing suck, so I thought I'd ask. What am I suppose to listen for, pleasing tone? I kind of got that with my old P/P, but can't adjust between different amps and direct lines.

What I'm trying to learn here is how to use my effects for a consistent tone. I want my guitar to sound pretty much the same whether it comes out of the Peavy, the Evans, or direct to the board. I'm told if you understand what you're doing with the effects, then you should be able to do that. So, I'm here trying to understand.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2000 5:00 pm    

Earnest is telling you right. You use the E-Q to shape the overall sound of the instrument, not the individual notes.

Boosting the highs and lows, and pulling back the mids (making the E-Q sliders a "smiley face") is popular on steel. Steels are full of mid-range tones, and when these tones are too predominant, they thin out the sound. Some people "Comb" the E-Q, setting them all at the mid-range, and then boosting the first, lowering the second, boosting the Third, lowering the fourth, and so on. This adds a lot of presence and separation to the notes, giving an "out-front" sound.

It's pretty much trial and error, but a good E-Q can take you from Joe Pass to Don Rich, or, on the steel, take you from Chalker to Brumley.

Pick out a tone or sound you like on a recording, and then use your E-Q to try and copy that tone. And remember to record yourself from a distance, and then listen to the recording, (so you'll know how you sound from the audience!)

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 17 January 2000 at 05:02 PM.]

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 8:40 am    

Thanks guys! I got to working with your suggestions last night and made a couple of new patches that work great between my amps, (the comb setting helped a lot as well.) I appreciate the help.

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2000 10:36 am    

hey Paul I use to use one of them there EQ things now lays in a drawer I found that with all them knows on the session 500 I didn't need all that extra stuff. And Ernest how did you get so smart you know something about everything it's got to be the warm weather cause it's cold here and we don't think that fast

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 7:34 am    

I had sent this to Paul via private E-mail and he suggested that I post it out here in public for all to see. If one of our "real" engineering types like Dave Horch or John Macy wants to add to, subtract from, or amend my statements, please do. I'm writing this off the cuff and don't claim to be a real expert on these things.

Here's a quick explanation of types of EQ. There are basically three types; shelving, graphic, parametric (and a variation called semi-parametric). I'll try to define each:

Shelving EQ: A control is assigned to a specific part of the frequency spectrum. This is the standard Bass and Treble or Bass, Midrange, and Treble arrangement. Each control covers a specific range (or shelf).

Graphic EQ: The frequency spectrum is divided into many small pieces so that each control affects only a small part of the spectrum. Sliders are used for this type of EQ and you can look at them for a graphic representation of what'd being done to the sound, e.g., if all the sliders in the midrange are up a little bit, it's visually clear that you are boosting the midrange.

Parametric EQ: Parametric EQ lets you adjust three parameters (you might think of a parameter as a characteristic or basic, essential part) relating to EQ. The first parameter is cut or boost, the second is center frequency, and the third is bandwidth. This means that you can set the center frequency to the point in the spectrum that you want to adjust, for example to 1.2khz. Then you can set the bandwidth to determine how wide a frequency range you want to affect. If you make it real narrow, you can make it "notch" out a frequency right at the selected center frequency. This is useful to get rid of things like 60hz hum or a buzz from fluorescent lights. The cut of boost determines whether you are making the sound at that frequency louder or quieter.

Semi-parametric EQ. This is the same as parametric but usually omits the bandwidth parameter. The midrange control on my Vegas 400's are semi-parametric. On that amp, the center-frequency parameter is called "Shift."

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

[This message was edited by RickRichtmyer on 20 January 2000 at 07:36 AM.]

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 9:03 am    

Hey Paul I see your heading says stupid effects question please keep in mind the only stupid question is the that never gets ask

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 9:22 am    

Paul, if you own a Peavey and an Evans, I wouldn't even mess with an EQ. You should have enough EQ within those amps to please just about anyone. (Not to mention the push pull).

[This message was edited by John Lacey on 20 January 2000 at 09:22 AM.]

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2000 11:37 am    

Thanks again guys. And a special thanks to Rick for being kind enough to post his wonderful explaination. It was simple enough for even me to understand.

John: The P/P does sound great through either the Peavy or the Evans, however it does sound a little different between them. That's not a bad thing really, but if you're intent is to use one amp as a hot spare to the other, you'd like a couple of patches that make them sound close. My effects unit has more things available than a gang of wild eyed lead guitar players could ever use, and I'm just trying to figure out which one's I want. But you may be right, the nights I leave the rack at home seem to be as strong as any.