The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Guitar Syn For Steel
DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 3:51 am    

I would like to hear from anyone that has used the Roland GR-30 on their pedal steels.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 6:41 am    

Hi Dale,

I used the GR-1, which has the GK-2 pickup for some time. The problem with the Rolland units is the pickup design. The string spacing is wider than the PSG spacing forcing you to angle the pickup under your picking hand. This gets in the way of your picking and dampens the sustain from your strings. The GK-2 is also arched to approximate the curve of a six string fetboard. This means that you have some tracking problems with the ends of the pickup. Other than that, the units were great. I loved emulating a Hammond B-3 or a sax section. The steel guitar patches sounded remarkably like a dobro and you could really tear up a jazz violin. Piano left something to be desired because of tracking problems. I have thought many times about building a straight pickup with the proper string spacing. The Rolland units use six little humbuckers in the GK-2.

You have to think like the instrument that you are emulating, which actually takes away from your touch when you switch to straight steel. It is hard to maintain the good steel tone consistantly, because you have to pick and bar differently for the other instruments sounds.

Hope this helps you,

Bill

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 7:10 am    

Thanks Bill this sure helps. I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to purchase a GR-30 and any information is welcomed. Ed Packard emailed me and told me he shaved the pickup flat with fine sandpaper to solve teh radius problem.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 10 Nov 1999 8:22 am    

I have a Korg Z3 which has a pickup similar to the Roland. I liked the MIDI sounds but the pickup setup was a major pain. I have not tried the Roland unit but would bet that it would be nice if you can get the pickup issue resolved. Roland appears to be sort of the king of the hill with the Midi converters at the moment. I liked the Vibes when mixed with the straight steel sound. The Korg unit I have also had some limited pitch bending capabilities which was also kind of fun to play with in combination with the pedal movements. If I can help answer any of your questions, drop me an email.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 1999 7:53 am    

Hi Dale,

There are two types of pickups out for the Rollands. The older GK-02 is better for the steel than the newer GK-2A.

The GR-1 synth is a fine piece of equipment. I see them for pretty good prices used on websites. That might be the best way to go.

Bill