The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A good cleaner for input jacks & pots
dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 16 Aug 1999 2:31 am    

I need to know what the best cleaner's that you feel are the best,and also hows the best method for cleaning the male plugs, thanks for any input,I just need to be a little more educated in this department.

------------------
Dan Layne

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Aug 1999 4:44 am    

Generally the male plugs don't need cleaned, there are exceptions - such as some cheap imported plugs or the old military brass plugs, which you shouldn't be using anyway - but for the most part they usually are not the problem when you have poor contact problems. I've got some Switchcraft and George L's that are at least 15 years old and they have never been "cleaned".

The female jack's sometimes get to the point they don't make good contact, however, many times they have a second "closed" contact (makes contact when a male plug has not been inserted) and that's where a lot of the jack problems are.

Most good quality CONTACT cleaners will work well. Generally the stuff you buy will work for both contacts and for pots (controls).

The best way is to have the unit apart and then pry the jack apart so you can get contact cleaner on the "closed' contact. However, that's usually not an option when you're cleaning so just spray some cleaner into the jack and then run the male plug in and out several times. That will usually take care of a "dirty" jack, except in severe condtions. Sometimes just pluggng in a male plug (in and out several times) is all that's necessary to fix a flakey jack.

As far as brand names, there are many good cleaners available from Chemtronics or GC Electronics, but these are usually only available from Electronics Parts Distributors. The contact cleaner that Radio Shack sells ( 64-4315) will usually work satisfactory for most applications.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 08-16-99]

David tincher

Mitchell,Indiana
Post  Posted 16 Aug 1999 4:48 am    

Radio Shack Cat. No 64-4315 Seem`s to
Work For Me.

Michael Maese

Fayetteville, AR
Post  Posted 16 Aug 1999 1:28 pm    

The product that I swear by for conductivity issues is called DeoxIT and is available from CAIG Laboratories (www.caig.com). This product can be used on male and female connectors and on switches and pots(if you have the skills to disassemble and reassemble them). They also offer a product called ProGold for gold plated contacts, and they offer a variety of other surface treatments. These products are available in a number of applicator styles from liquids to pastes to sprays to wipes. My favorite is a pen applicator (nerd-pack special). Treatment with these products is good for the long haul, and retreatments are seldom needed except in an adverse environment. I'm not sure if the road qualifies as adverse, but maybe so. I do not work for the Caig folks, but I like their products.

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 16 Aug 1999 7:16 pm    

Thanks to all for your advice and I'll suredly try some of them.I have two older Evans Fet500's that I need to go through,and again Thanks

------------------
Dan Layne

Paul Stertz

Pittsburgh,Pa. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 1999 2:01 pm    

For scratchy pots, WD40 works really well because it also lubricates and gives the pot a nice smooth feel. Just make sure to use this without power applied, as should be the case with any cleaner because they may be conductive, and may short something out if you're not careful. That is why it is best to make sure the unit is unplugged.

------------------
Paul Stertz
Mullen D-10 8+5
Nashville 400
Evans preamp
Alvarez 6-string acoustic
Crate CA60

[This message was edited by Paul Stertz on 08-17-99]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 1999 3:26 pm    

I would caution against WD-40. I've repaired some units (replaced pots, etc.) that WD40 was used on.

Vic Chaney

Vallejo, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 1999 10:26 pm    

I use a spray that I got at an electronics store called cramolyn. It costs $12. for a little spray can, but it has saved me a fortune in repairs. It is great for pots, switches, jacks, etc. It has a little straw like WD-40, that will shoot the stuff just about anywhere. It penetrates into things through the smallest of openings.
Vic

Michael Maese

Fayetteville, AR
Post  Posted 20 Aug 1999 5:22 am    

Cramolin is the name of an older product by CAIG Laborotories. It came in two colors, red and blue. Both have been replaced by more environmentally-friendly products, the red by DeoxIT and the blue by PreservIT. All the above mentioned products seem to work equally well in my experience.

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 20 Aug 1999 11:35 am    

Hey Vic & Mike,can I buy the DeoxIT at most electronics stores or do I have to order it from Caig Lab.?

And thanks to all for you advice.

------------------
Dan Layne

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 1999 12:19 pm    

Stew-Mac ( www.stewmac.com ) 800 848-2273 has a 5 oz. spray can for $10.49 but they have a minimum order of $30. I remember that someone posted a better price somewhere but I can't recall who/where.

Fred Nelson

Black Oak, Ar
Post  Posted 21 Aug 1999 6:03 pm    

I use LPS it is a Greaseless Lubricant plus cleaner, made by LPS Laboratories, Tucker Ga.
It is a spray and really works well for me.I found this cleaner at welding supply co.
Hope this helps

------------------
Fred

[This message was edited by Fred Nelson on 08-22-99]

[This message was edited by Fred Nelson on 08-22-99]