The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1949 Fender Custom 3-Neck
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 8:46 am    

I have a 1949 Fender Custom 3-neck that I purchased new. If I remember correctly, it was the first year for this model. It has not been played in 40 years. Looks great, but is not original because in the early 60's (before I knew better) I had it refinished from the original blond, to a walnut. It is in the original case. Would this guitar be worth anything as a collectable? I'm new to the board, but I suppose I would be allowed to post a picture if anyone is interested.

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 December 2000 at 10:43 AM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 11:07 am    

Jeffstro....it's 22.5 bridge to nut. I'll have to take a picture before I can post,the one's I have wouldn't show enough detail.

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 4:17 pm    

Gene -
I think you may have answered your own question as to your guitars collectibility. You had it re-finished (or did it yourself) in the early '60's because you liked a walnut finish. A collector (who may not even PLAY the thing) would probably turn his nose up at your fine old guitar. The rest of us would want to know things like how does it sound, do the machines work, etc. I will admit, though, a Fender steel without the decal would bum me out. Oh, well. You understand what I'm saying: play it or sell it to a player, you or they will love it.

Rob

[This message was edited by Robert on 30 November 2000 at 04:20 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 4:42 pm    

Hey, c'mon now--we're not talking Krylon here, right? Gene--you said looks great so I believe that this guitar could fetch $600 or thereabouts, maybe more.

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 5:48 pm    

Jon and Gene:
I'm not saying that the re-finish was anything less than a great job. Even if it was a flawless job there IS that ilk of collector that wouldn't want the guitar at all . . . $600., Jon? I'd guess that Gene could get about a grand for his guitar, but it would come from a steel enthusiast/player and probably not from a "collector". That's all I meant to say, although I know that's not how it may have sounded.

Rob

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 6:51 pm    

Hey Robert--didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you. And you could be right about the $$. I guess Gene needs to better define 'collectible'--if the question is 'is this guitar worth anything to anyone?', you bet!

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 4:31 am    

I sure appreciate the input from everyone...after I started playing pedals I couldn't bear to sell it, so my original plan was to refinish it and use it for a coffee-table/conversation piece in my music room. It turned out to be such a beautiful piece of furniture that I couldn't bring myself to drill the necessary holes to mount the support brackets for the glass top, so it went back in the case where it's been ever since. I'm getting a picture made to post for those who have asked. Thanks again.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 5:17 am    

I LOVE the coffee table idea. You're right though, it would be kind of a shame to use it just for that. Hmmm, maybe an old Supro!

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2000 3:43 pm    

Drop this one off Brad....I was just curious about it's worth....if I decide to sell it I will put it on Buy & Sell with a picture.