The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Holly
Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 7:03 am    

Can't recall ever having seen a thread on Buddy - which is a little surprising, what with all the Texans we have here . . . so - how about it? Some of you older guys may have been to see him, may have known him or his family, maybe you were playing some of the same shows. I imagine he would have gone on to be a producer/impresario-type, writing songs for his proteges, owning his own label, and creating pop music with the best of them. What do you think?

Rob

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 10:34 am    

These "what if?" things are always fun.My guess is he probably would have become a mainstream country artist by the late 60s and into the 70s and would by now,if still living,would be revered by oldtimers but considered old hat in Nashville and would probably be playing Branson and Vegas w/no record deal.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 11:09 am    

.....or maybe a record & souvenir store down on music row!.....

Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 3:45 pm    

I would agree with Michael on this.

Just want to mention that I saw The Crickets last Wednesday when they opened for the Everly Brothers at Wolftrap Park near DC.

They sounded great. I was amazed at how many big songs they have written.

The Everlys sound as good, if not better, than I remembered. Buddy Emmons was stellar as usual. In fact the whole band was exceptional IMHO.

Mel

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 6:33 pm    

Yep, i'm with Mike on this one as well.

Buddy used to hang out with Waylon Jennings, Weldon Myrich, Sonny Curtis, bandleader Ben Hall and others around the 1954 period, you know a lot of young guns pickin' and hanging out together, he met the Wink Westerners who were touring Texas around that time (with Roy Orbison on lead vocals), and so on.

Sometimes I forget how hot Texas was and laways has been, and I mean hot as in 'hot talented performers'.. from rockabilly, Western Swing, blues and hillbilly boogie just in the 1950s alone.
Any stories out there anyone?

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 7:32 pm    

Jason:
You forgot the great Tommy Allsup!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2001 11:26 pm    

There was one Texas gig - and a friend of mine has a picture of it somewhere - which featured the great rock piano pioneer Moon Mullican with Buddy Holly on drums! There's also a picture of Elvis performing in a small venue in Texas in the mid 50s with Buddy clearly visible in the audience.There are a few stories I heard from Gary Busey that HE heard from the guys in the Crickets and other Lubbock "homeboys" when he was researching his movie role as Buddy.Unfortunately,I can't relate them on this forum.Suffice it to say he enjoyed his share of the fringe benifits of being a rock star.Little Richard also tells a hilarious tale about how Buddy was late for his own set one night during an Alan Freed package tour - seems he was preoccupied in the dressing room beneath the stage of an old theater but was not dressed.He heard the MC announce:"Ladies and Gentlemen - Buddy Holly!" So,he whipped his pants on,and with a raving woody,grabbed his Strat,ran up the stairs and took the stage. "If you knew - Peggy Sue....."

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 12:48 am    

I think that If Buddy Holly had not died in the plane crash, he would have drifted out of the public eye (especially after the Beatles hit) and gone into producing, and eventually would have been a big time executive in the music business.

I think Richie Valens would have gone on to become very big in the Latino market, and sustained a career in that genre for many years, and the Big Bopper would have faded into obscurity very quickly as a recording artist, but would continue to work as a disc jockey and radio personality.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 5:24 am    

I can just hear the Big Booper on XERF selling baby chicks ! OOOOOH Baby, you know what I LIKE !! That would have been a real treat. Who knows, he might even been able to play Blues Stay Away From Me on a harmonic too and gotten richer that way.

Paul

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 10:59 pm    

Jason,
Hillbilly Boogie ?
i just gotta know what it is, what it is.
turn me on to who plays it so i can listen.
i already know some bout Swamp Boogie.
Steel what ?

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 4:41 am    

During that era we played a lot of material that we called "Rockabilly"....Big Boss Man, anything by Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. It may have been the same thing! www.genejones.com

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 9:17 am    

I think Mike's scenario sounds like the most likely. Buddy was pretty hands on with his production, for the times. I think his last few records had lost their punch musically too, so one more reason for him to go into production.

I was a freshman in college when I "heard the news", and I remember it as well as when I heard JFK got shot.

I still love that sound.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 4:56 pm    

Hillbilly Boogie is what predated Rockabilly, although I am simplifying somewhat.

Some examples are 'Muleskinner Blues' circa 1948 by the Maddox Brothers & Rose, a lot of early 1950s sides by Gene O'Quin (the excellent "Texas Boogie"), Jimmy Bryant had some boogie numbers, (he cut one in 1949 without Speedy, something like "Bryant's Boogie" I think).
Tennessee Ernie Ford cut some great boogie sort of numbers, "Mr. Cotton Picker" is a great one.

The Delmore brothers "Blues Stay Away From Me" is from around 1948, even Hank William's with "Move It On Over" comes into the style as an early example.
Who else, umm... there's Merrill Moore, early Skeets McDonald, Hardrock Gunter and others.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 7:05 pm    

Mike P wrote:::::::

the Big Bopper would have faded into obscurity very quickly as a recording artist, but would continue to work as a disc jockey and radio personality.
::::::
Mike I think his songwriting credits were a sign of things to come particuarly White Lightning, Running bear and A Begger to A King.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 2:38 am    

Quote:
(The Big Bopper's) songwriting credits were a sign of things to come particuarly White Lightning, Running bear and A Begger to A King.

I didn't know he wrote all those. Thanks Janice.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 4:28 pm    

The Big Bopper's real name is Jiles Perry Richardson, aka the Big Bopper and P.J. Richardson.
The songwriting credits are as follows:

Chantilly Lace (Richardson)
Pink Petticoats (Richardson)
The Clock (Richardson)
Walking Through My Dreams (Richardson) Someone Watching over You (Richardson)
Big Bopper's Wedding (Richardson)
Little Red Riding Hood (Richardson)
Preacher and the Bear (Richardson)
It's the Truth Ruth (Richardson)
White Lightning (Richardson)
Monkey Song (You Made a Monkey Out of Me) (Richardson)
Purple People Eater Meets the Witch Doctor (Johnson/Richardson)
Beggar to a King (Richardson)

He might have borrowed bits here and there, but he did write a few good un's.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 5:28 pm    

Quote:
Hillbilly Boogie is what predated Rockabilly
Jason, How about Wayne Rainey "Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me One More Time?" It was later covered by Johnny Burnette(Rockabilly) in 1960. Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 21 August 2001 at 06:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 21 August 2001 at 06:40 PM.]

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 5:39 pm    

Michael, That club that Elvis played in that Buddy was at was probably 'The Cotton Club' on the outskirts of Lubbock, I once D.J.d at 'Frat Party' while in College in the early 80's. It was a neat place and I think it is still there whether it is open or not, I'm not sure.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 6:33 am    

Quote:
Purple People Eater Meets the Witch Doctor
My two favorite songs when I was a kid. I gotta hear this.

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 7:51 am    

I have to admit that I hadn't heard the term "swamp Rock" until someone mentioned it above, but acording to today's OKC entertainment guide, Oklahoma City's "underground" GREEN DOOR has been hosting shows since May featuring national touring acts that range from hard core punk to psychobilly "swamp rock". For example: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club; Wesley Willis; Agnostic Front; Appleseed Cast; Mates of State, and The White Stripes.

But a little voice tells me that I shouldn't go down to the "Green Door" looking for a job playing my steel. www.genejones.com

Shaan Shirazi

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2001 8:14 am    

You got that right Gene that is purely a punk room, maybe my little brother's band will play there someday soon, he's a 15 yr. old drummer in OKC. I remember going to that same room when it was a different club and seeing one of the first country inspired local bands in OKC back in 1990 or so. They stood out because they did a rap version of Dolly's 9 to 5 and I swear it wasn't bad! I wonder who they were...

Shaan

------------------
The Pickin' Paniolo

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2001 5:49 am    

Shaan I hear you. Me and your little brother are not likely to cross paths prfessionally, but I do work with some of the young musicians who gig in all venues so I'll ask them to watch for him.

Are you playing your steel regularly now? Haven't heard you mention it lately.

By the way, I got an e-mail from Henson Cargil's son after your article about the Oklahoma City club. Thanks for the connection. www.genejones.com

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 5:15 pm    

Larry, there where a lot of rockabilly artists who did country songs in more rocked up form, the Hillbilly Boogie thing is more about uptempo bluesy boogie inspired numbers by country artists, you've got the right stuff, just the latter version.

I see the term 'Swamp Rock,' I think the earliest usage I can track down are some articles an Creedence Clearwater Revial in the late 1960s, although the term 'Swamp Pop' was used to describe certain pop-country-rockabilly infused Southern artists in the late 1950s, 'Sea Of Love' etc.

Swamp Rock seemed to have become popular to describe a certain post-punk blend by groups who mixed wrist slashing country, punk, blues and the like in a sort of Creedence meets Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, punk rock kind of thing.
Swaggering yowling stuff, kind of gothic dark blues and the like.

There was a swag of Australian bands that came out in this style, the Scientists, Le Hoodoo Gurus (turned into the more poppy Hoodoo Gurus), The Birthday Party (turned into the more menacing Birthday Party), the Beast Of Bourbon (they do a killer version of 'Psycho')..and others.
Bands of this ilk who showed more rockabilly tendencies were dubbed psychobilly, we had some great groups in that ilk here as well, while you can still some gob-smacking and exciting Western Bop and rockabilly bands here in Melbourne nearly every night.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 10:20 pm    

how bout Slim Harpo,Lightnin Slim,+ Tony Joe White for Swamp kontribution ?
thanx Jason 4 the posts.
Steel what ?

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 30 August 2001 at 04:00 PM.]

Skip T

Lubbock , Tx. U S A
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 12:56 pm    

Craig , the "Cotton Club" is history these days. Here is a photo of Buddy and a pretty good "oldie R & R station. http://KDAV.com