The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Music
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 8:08 am    

Do most of you who are Hawaiian music players find that you play most of your tunes in the C6th tuning? I do. It seems that tuning can allow you to make fuller chords than the other popular tunings.

BTW:
The friends I have, and acquaintances, all say they dearly love Hawaiian music. Some don't like rock, country, blue grass, classical, rap,___some say they don't care for pop but; no one I have met to date has said that they do not like Hawaiian. With the right presentation, I believe this music could have a great come-back, even in the crazy business of today.

Rick

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 8:55 am    

I think your right!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 3:42 pm    

Me 2
Baz

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 8:23 pm    

What goes around, comes around and I am sure that one day when a future generation suddenly "discovers" Hawaiian music, it will bounce back like it did in the forties if even for a short period. We are currently experiencing the gradual return of the Big Band era as the younger generation is discovering this "new" sound, so I can see it happening to Hawaiian music in some future moment of fad....let's hope so !

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 26 October 2000 at 09:24 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 8:48 pm    

I believe that the Hawaiian Music is very beautiful. That is what turned me on originally to the Hawaiian Guitar in the "30"s.

I learned to play about 28 Hawaiian solos and used the A6, C#minor(Emaj6), and E7 tunings. I never used C6.

Then I heard Alvino Rey and went to "Big Band Music".

But I still also like to play Hawaiian Music ....al

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2000 11:38 am    

I use C6th but......Jerry Byrd's diatonic tuning has some really BIG FAT chords that are great in Hawaiian music.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2000 5:51 pm    

What Al says about Hawaiian music is so true. Unlike the crap fed to us today extolling drugs, sex, and whatever, Hawaiian music has always been gentle. The lyrics speak of love, the beauty of the land, the ocean, the heavens and stars and generally good and decent subjects...sure, there are "naughty" Hawaiian songs, especially the Hawaiian lyrics of some hulas, but they never get down into the gutter like we hear in today's rock generation. And the melodies are ever pleasingly beautiful. Guess I'm olde fashioned, (I know I am!) but Hawaiian music, just as are the people of Hawai'i, is truly beautiful. Too bad we don't get to hear it on the Mainland anymore like we did back in the forties and prior. Even used to be on juke boxes...sometimes half the selections were Hawaiian ! Hard to believe, isn't it ?

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 27 October 2000 at 06:54 PM.]