The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  want Joaquin Murphy info
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 6:34 am    

I want to find out more about Joaquin Murphy's playing. Almost everything I have heard that he played on just killed me. In particular I recall a T. Texas Tyler up-tempo tune with some killer stuff. T. Texas calls him by name before his break.

I think he recorded with most of the West Coast western swing bands in the 40's like Spade Cooley, Tex Williams. I think he also played what little steel appeared on old Sons of the Pioneers recordings.

Can anyone suggest particular recordings? Did he use standard tunings. Is there any instructional material or tab out there?

------------------
"You call that thing a guitar?"

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 7:59 am    

Lots of stuff already here in the Forums' "search" section. Murph recordings with the Sons of the Pioneers ? - I know Sam Koki worked with them on some of their earliest stuff ( when Roy was still with them ).

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2000 9:23 am    

Dave, Noel Boggs also recorded with the Pioneers. Never realised Sam or Joaquin did any recording with them. I have a lot of the Pioneers recordings but of course, they don't name any of the back up musicians.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 6:29 am    

Hi Lynn,

I'd recommend "The Essential Spade Cooley, Spadella" (Legacy/Columbia, CK57392). This has Joaquin all over it including Oklahoma Stomp.

Spade's music isn't exactly my cup of coffee. A bit on the Lawrence Welk side of the spectrum for my taste (**warning**, band uses harp).

That not withstanding, their is some fine steel here!!

regards,

Howard

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 8:05 am    

Some really GREAT pickin' on Smokey Rogers old records! "New Panhandle Rag"....etc.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 11:12 am    

Smokey Rodgers??? I'm pretty familiar with obscure country music, but I have never heard of him. Can you suggest where to get a recording?

------------------
"You call that thing a guitar?"

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 1:08 pm    

He cut an album around the late 1970's. Call Scotty's music in St. Louis for a possibility to get it.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 1:26 pm    

Lynn: My recommendation is "Tex Williams: On the Air, 1947-1949" (Country Routes RFD CD
17). Absolutely spectacular Joaquin playing throughout (as I write this I'm listening to a solo on "Spanish Two-Step" which alone would make the album worth owning).

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 8:27 pm    

Back around 1972, Joaquin was at my house in Phoenix, Az. We met him at Harry's Capri in Phoenix, where my good friend Jimmy Yates played his push pull Emmons. After the job, my house for Coffee. He sat down and played my old Electra-harp on my E6 tuning. He was all over that fretboard and never touched a pedal.!!! I was absolutely amazed....Who needed Pedals?.......al

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2000 5:21 am    

Lynn, Smokey was a member of Spade Cooley's group with Joaquin and Tex Williams, Muddy Berry, Pedro DePaul, Andrew 'Cactus' Soldi, etc..and they all split from Cooley to form the Western Swing Caravan which was a collective in a sense although Tex is the frontman for all intents and purposes.

Smokey and a good chunk of the group went out on their own around 1957, leaving Tex who I think may have tired of working with a big outfit and touring.
Joaquin left Smokey in 1958 and was replaced by a young fella named Sneaky Pete Ervin, who later reverted to his real last name Kleinow.