The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bud Tutmarc
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 6:49 pm    

I recall a post a month or so ago that Bud Tutmarc had a stroke. I have looked for a post on his condition and have not seen one. Anyone out there know how he is? I've never met him, but have enjoyed his playing for several years through recordings. I understand Sol Hoppi was his mentor. Bud plays some real cool Hawaiian steel.

oj hicks

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 8:05 pm    

Yes, I too was wondering about Bud Tutmarc's condition? I have admired his Hawaaiian guitar playing for a number of years.

Thank you Heavenly Father for Bud and his beautiful Hawaiian Steel Guitar playing that he has chosen to glorify you with. You are worthy of all of our praises.

Terry J. Wood

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 5:23 pm    

Oakley and Terry, you might contact Bob Strum at steeling@carol.net concerning Bud. Bob emailed me recently that he had spent some time with Bud just prior to his stoke (as I remember). They are friends. (Terry, I plan to be in Marshfield 9/4-7. Want to get a sandwich?)

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 9:53 pm    

I am in regular contact with Opal, Bud's wife. Moments ago she wrote (quote): "Bud is doing much better but still is having trouble with his hands and uses a walker when outside for stability" (unquote) To my knowledge, he is still unable to do delicate things like playing the steel guitar. These things take time and all we can do is to pray for his healing. He suffered not only a stroke, but also a heart attack...it was a double whammy for him. FYI: His dad and Sol Ho'opi'i were great friends and Bud grew up
in the great atmosphere of Sol's presence. He studied from Sol and was able to capture much of the technic of the great Master. In later years, Bud became very close to Sol right up to the end of Sol's life. Even when Sol lost his sight he was still able to play. Sol started out playing primarily Hawaiian music and jazz, appeared in many movies. In later years he devoted his talent towards the Pentecostle Church. Another student of Sols was Belva Dickerson (Dunn), who at times played such great stuff, it was very difficult to determine just who was playing...Sol or Belva...she was that good.
Belva passsed away about 5 years ago. You can hear all of what I am talking about by ordering a great collection of home recordings which Bud has put together of Sol, Belva and Bud...well worth the investment and all the recordings are on 9 cassette tapes, excellent to good quality.

oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 9:04 am    

Many thanks, George, and Fred. I had already sent an email to Bob Strum (per Fred's recommendation). I know Bud has blessed many lives, including my own, with his great music. I have an old LP of his with some of his own compositions, and some of Sol Hoppi's. They have the Ralph Carmichael orchestra as background.
"Superb!" is the only way to describe it. We will join those who know Bud in praying for his complete recovery.

oj hicks

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 11:46 am    

Hey, OJ.... I hate to be a fuss budget, but you erred twice in Sol's name. It is NOT Hoppi, rather Ho'opi'i and is pronounced as HO - O - PEE - EE (not Hooopee as many seem to think). Forgive the correction, but thought you should be aware. Incidently, Sol's (second) wife, Anna, a lovely lady, is not well these days. She also lives in Seattle.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 1:11 pm    

Keoki, I thought all these yrs that it was Whoopie! CC

------------------

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 5:36 pm    

I think Sol has some Brothers or family that still perform for certain functions in the Islands. They are known as the "Ho'opi'i Brothers." Can anyone veryfy this?

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 6:31 pm    

No relation. The name "Ho'opi'i" in the Islands is as about as common as Smith and Jones is on the Mainland. Sol had relatives over there, no doubt about that, however, the Ho'opi'i Brothers come from a different clan of the Ho'opi'i branch.

...and CC, sheeesh, ya know it's not Sol Whoopie, it's Whoopie Goldberg ! (ha!)