The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Melobar info
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2000 8:07 am    

This goes back to a forum topic a few months back on building time.

To improve the communications between builders and players. We are now going to list at what stage the players guitar is in the building process on the Melobar site, under the Store icon--hotsheet.

Maybe someday we can have cameras that click the guitar as it is going through the building process, I'm not a big fan of Big Brother so we'll save you from the toilet cam's!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2000 5:54 pm    

Good idea, Ted. That ought to decrease some of the inquiries I'm sure you constantly get.

Anxiously awaiting my Raybay.

David

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 9:12 am    

Jeff Peterson(Clint Black's man of steel) maybe showing off a dbl-8 version with the "strat" sound on an 8-string neck at Scotty's this year. Look for him and this great steel. Hopefully it will be completed in time for all to enjoy!

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2000 7:53 pm    

Guy's I've been very open with all of you because I don't know any other way to be, so I need to share a few things here.

I feel really bad because I just flaked out on Wayne because the above comment really felt like more pressure to get another tough guitar finished fast, and I just can't do it. I am feeling so overwhelmed by all these new models that are really difficult to create that I really can't handle it anymore. I rejected 4 Melobro orders last week, I've shut down the retail and distributors. I'm going to have to keep shutting down until I feel human again. I wish I could build guitars in weeks instead of months, but it just can't be done. I feel bad for the guys that are eager to play and want a good instrument to help them and want it now. I really do understand their emotion. but I've worked people so hard in this shop that everyone's to the point of quiting and then no Melobar models will be available. From here on we are only taking so many orders per month and only from people who can wait for them to be built right. We will keep the above status sheet updated so the player knows how the guitar is coming and we are working as fast as we possibly can. I really do want to help get the guitars out there with special voices but they just take time.

Hope you guys understand,

Ted

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 1:35 am    

Ted
Glad to hear you llimiting yourself for your own health. You've created a beautiful product and been the pioneer on these composition resos. It's only just and fair that we give you the time to work at your own pace.
I was probably among the worst to email you (strictly out of enthusiam)with questions and changes in the order. You were very gracious and created exactly the instrument of my dreams.
Thank you and good health.
Dave Stehman

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 5:40 am    

Ted --

What Dave said.

Peter

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 6:24 am    

I don't blame you Ted. It seems to me that you simply will not put out an inferior product, and that is probably one of the reasons that Melobar products are superior. I remember 4 years ago, waiting on a ZUM for quite a while! (6 months as I recall)... I have a TD-8 Lapsteel, that is still in emmaculate cond., and I don't know how old it is. I bought it used.

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 9:17 am    

Ted, you build a great product. Do it as you want! Steelers need you!

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 1:29 pm    

Ted,

For 23 years I owned a business that produced a quality, in demand, product. I often felt overwhelmed to get the product out until I realized that this was not life or death. To my knowledge no one has ever died because they did not get their guitar in time. Take it easy and keep building great instruments. People will learn to wait, or order sooner. It is easy to get burnt out. Don't let them get to you.

I hope to see you in St Louis.

Jim

Jim McCoy

Brenham, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 7:14 pm    

Ted: Just a word for a public thank you for the excellent work you did on my new Supersteel. It looks great and sounds terrific. I like the variable controls especially with the dual pickups to give me
exacting control over the sound. Thanks, Ted

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 9:20 pm    

Ted, Sorry to hear there's so much pressure on everybody there...it seems you're taking the right steps to handle things. It would be such a tragedy if you had to stop all the great things you're doing for the steel world. I think it's probably obvious to everyone who's ever dealt with you, and even casual visitors to your website that you're really trying to do something innovative and immensely valuable to the steel community. Hang in there! I had to wait a long time for my melobro, and I certainly think it was worth it- a totally custom, beautiful looking and great sounding instrument that cost far less than one from about any other custom builder with longer wait times...The good thing is if you take the time to do things the way you need to, I think the Steel community will support you...the bad thing is I'm out here showing my new Melobro to everyone I meet and telling them where I got it...Take care, Good luck and thanks for an awesome guitar.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 6:05 pm    

You know something,,you non-peddler guys are a pretty ding dang decent bunch of people! I hope we can live up to some of those nice remarks up above.

I've got to tell you though, because it's almost ironic, I had a customer do it to me again just a few minutes ago, called me at 7:30 in the middle of trying to eat some dinner, and want to know if his custom guitar was shipped. I just emailed him I'm going to refund his money, that's the only way I know how to handle that pushyness without stroke'ing out. I just really struggle with telling someone with enthusiasm toward these guitars no, or being tough about the time we need to finish the guitar. Anybody want to be the Melobar PR man out there?

I hear you guys though, Jim is right on and Wayne sent me a really good email on keeping the perspective. You have no idea how much it helps to be able to talk to players like this. It keeps the walls knocked down if you know what I mean.

Well, it's after 8 and I need to get some bodies sprayed. Thanks again guys.

Ted

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2000 7:40 pm    

Ted,

I just want to publicly thank you for the way you've treated me. Being a "newbie" at this whole thing, I'm sure I had a million questions that you didn't really have time to answer, yet you took that time, never once making me feel like I was a nuisance (when I almost certainly was).

I feel honored that you even considered making a guitar for me. To think that I will have a guitar made by the same guy who makes them for people like Jeff Peterson just blows my mind.

Don't ever let me make you feel like I want you to rush on my account. You obviously have a pride in your craftsmanship that many people do not have, nor appreciate today. I, like the others here, understand and appreciate the time required for such craftsmanship. Take all the time you need to produce a guitar that you and I both will be proud of.

Thanks again, Ted.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 10 August 2000 at 09:21 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 1:04 pm    

Hey Ted,I well know what you are going through and it gets stressful after a while.You manufacture a quality custom item,love what you do,do the best that you can for your customers without price gouging them,and then sometimes you are made to feel that it is not good enough.I think that the majority of your customers are behind you and are understanding of the time factor.After all,how quickly can you get a Zum Steel?I understand that it's a pretty long wait.I waited 6 months for Herb Remington to build a triple neck for me (no problem Herb,and thanks)And,what about an Annipeg? It costs over $6000.00 and you wait two years while this guy goes on "walkabout" looking for a piece of wood for you.In the meantime you're praying that he does not become the main course for a tribe of Aborigines,or get the tar kicked out of him by a kangaroo,or is swallowed whole by a starving crock. "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" Hang in there Ted,you're very much needed in our world.

------------------

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 1:17 pm    

Compared to the guy fight'en the crock's, we got "no problems" Howard. I don't like getting so much of the credit, I put a note on the hotsheet about Mel and Bert, those men deserve a bunch of the credit, and are so important to all of us getting innovative guitars! This has been a rare moment of time, of having all the right people together. I don't think there is any Slide project they wouldn't tackle and make work, never once have they said no or can't do it, it's just starting to hit me of how much, they have done in 3 years, got to take care of them and hold it together. I believe we can by giving them some breathing time.

Thank you all very much for the support on all this and the input!

Ted

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 12 August 2000 at 02:31 PM.]

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 12:33 pm    

I told you this would happen! That's all the sympathy you get from me. Now, get out of R&D, off your dead butt, and go make guitars! The world is waiting.
For those of you who don't know me....I'm kidding....I think.
Ted, be careful what you wish for. I think I told you that a few years back. Success is wonderful....a little success can break your back. You're one of my favorite people, and I love ya'. (This does not mean I'm ready to pick out curtains or anything!)
By the way, my TeleRatt is kickin' huge butt out on tour...Melobro also.

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2000 12:42 pm    

Ted-

I've been gone for a few days.

I hope it goes without saying that I think your team does a great job.

A big "10-4" on the comment that I, as a semi-pro player, was never made to feel inferior or second rate. I got great products at a very fair price.

Please pass along my best wishes to your team in the shop. It'd be a real shame to break up a winning team like that.