The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Capos-what do you use?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 1:28 am    

Although I've played Dobro for years I've never used a capo, played more of a "steel style" using scales and chords- but I'd like to have a capo for the occaisional session need for "bluegrass solo in Eb"... so what do you guys recommend? So far the Leno looks like the best bet to me. Although I'm puzzled to see one going for $71 on ebay when they're $24 new from resophonic outfitters...thanks for the help!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 4:42 am    

Hi, Mark -- I have a Leno that I use on my 6 and 8 string steels (I guess I play more in a slide guitar style as opposed to western swing or Hawaiian styles). I like that it goes on quickly and is easy to line up with the fret marker. Of course, on steel, I have to use it upside down, because there isn't enough clearance for the latch. This would not be a problem on a resonator guitar, as the neck is designed to get out of the way.

I don't think the Leno is being made anymore, at least that's what Paul Beard's site says now. The "Flux" capo that he sells looks like it works the same way as the Leno. Might be worth a try. Let me know what works for you.

Regards,
PJJ

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 7:18 am    

Mark, never be surprised at anything you see on eBay I once saw a guy pay 12 bucks plus shipping for a nut extender.
I'm also looking for a capo for my Weissonator, the nut is not nearly as high as a Dobro so the ones I've seen locally won't work. I'd rather not do a higher nut for it but I suppose I could. Any ideas?

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 10:33 am    

Thanks for the replies, every idea helps, love this forum! Mike, don't know if it would work, but on Pedal steel I use a smaller diameter bar that just slides under the strings, tight enough to just barely press against them. A metal bar then acts like a moveable nut, a wooden bar gives some cool sitar and (!) banjo sounds, etc. I got the idea from Jeff Newman long ago. I don't think it would work as well on Dobro since you're moving around more while you play it, and many Dobros have actual frets in the fingerboard so you couldn't place the bar there like you can on a pedal guitar.

------------------

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 1:40 pm    

Mark that's a heck of an idea! My weiss. has a flat ebony board with mahogany inlays, no frets. As long as I made it so it didn't push it out of tune something like that should work for the first 5 frets or so. I may make one with a wood base with bone inlayed in the top.
Are the Leno ones the ones that are hinged at one end and simply clamp over the strings?

colinmcc

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 9:05 pm    

As far as I know the Leno is not manufactured anymore, (Paul Beard may have some old stock, if so 'jump on it'! so ebay and such are the only sources, hence the price. I bought mine at Mandolin Bros years ago and haven't found viable alternative yet.

Colin McC

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 5:27 am    

I use a 7/16 craftsman wrench, sawed and beveled. Put some duct tape on the bottom so as not scratch the fretboard.I cut the bottom jaw off the open end wrench end to make a nice little handle. It takes some elbow grease to get just the right fit, but it sure is fast, accurate, and only takes one had to employ..
Plus, if it ever wears out, Sears will give me another one... www.oakoustic.com/Resonon.htm www.thelloyds.net

------------------
Tab Tabscott
"Bud Carter is a demi-god"

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 5:39 am    

I use a Bradley "quicapo" I got fron Ivan Guernsey.

Bob

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 8:02 pm    

Shubb for me.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 10:30 am    

Without a doubt, Shubb makes the best Dobro capo. It clamps on to the neck of the guitar....not just the strings. Makes a big difference sustain-wise. It also positive-stops against the frets so you don't have to line it up by eye. They are at
(707) 876-3001

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 10:42 am    

Thanks for all the replies, trying to get in touch with Paul Beard but no answer there...
Only complaint I heard on the Shubb was it may not fit all guitars, and pull down on the strings on some. My Hound Dog had a lower action than my Melobro- Jeff, does the shubb fit your melobro well? And how about those?! I love mine...

------------------

sliding bill

UK
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 2:16 pm    

I don't speak as a real seasoned Reso player here but the Beard capo seems to give me more sustain and the tone is richer than the when using a Flux.
Takes a little practice to use the Beard quickly but worth it.

Off topic

Incidentally - just been playing "barnyard gone wrong" -- nice steel --- I guess you were the lineman.
Steel music a rarety in UK - takes some hunting.

Always a good thread or two on the forum.
All the best,

Bill

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 3:11 pm    

I used the Beard, and like the tone better than a Flux, but if you lose that little screw at a bluegrass festival yer out of luck. The Flux is a ton faster to change. I hang it off my Regal's high D tuner when not in use.

Drew Howard

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2000 6:19 pm    

Thanks for the words, Bill, glad you liked "Barnyard"- we have a 72 minute live disk out for $10 on our website-www.bluegroundundergrass.com - Also a couple of new ones in the works, a live one with Vassar Clements and another studio disk. We're also on a bunch of MP3 sites, I can't keep all of those straight! Hope we see you when we finally make it to England!

------------------

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2000 1:13 pm    

Contact Alex Land at Shubb. He's aware of the different sizes of necks and string heights. Just tell him what you have....he'll set you up. Those capos that hang off the strings are a pain in the cone!

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2000 10:12 pm    

I seldom use a capo--I need all my frets. But if I seem to need some open strings on a session in some weird key, it's Shubb all the way. Rick worked for years to come up with an effective capo that would connect the strings to the fingerboard. Otherwise, you just have a puny little bar stapled to your strings.

------------------
Pete
www.petegrant.com

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 10:15 pm    

Mark and Jeff - Just got my Melobro a month ago and love it. My Shubb only goes to the 4th fret, then runs out of jaw capacity. Same on my Reed. Does Alex Land make them that go much higher? Thought the Flux might go anywhere, but want to have best tone & sustain...Dave Stehman