The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Classical Music on Lap Steel
Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 8:00 pm    

It struck me today that I have never encountered lap steel guitar used in Western Classical music. Why is lap steel not popular in that? It would be great if some lap steel expert made a recording of rendering of Wester Classical with lap steel playing a major role. For instance on Mozart's 40th or 44th symphony, or some new Rachmaninoff or Schubert's serenade. This will have two advantages: it might prove to be a very successful recording, and it might give the Lap steel a place in the sun and jump start it in popular music. Maybe someone from this forum can do it! (For instance, the emergence of Lap steel in Indian classical music in the last few decades has given great "legitimacy" and a new stature to this instrument in India.)

Surinder
surinder@ieee.org

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 15 July 2000 at 09:02 PM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 15 July 2000 at 09:03 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 5:21 am    

Surinder,
Do you have any recordings of lap steel in Indian classical music? It would be great if you could post a short clip for us to listen to!

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 7:14 am    

Hi Surinder.
Might I suggest you look into fellow forumite Mike Perowins' CD of classical music called "Firebird Suite"? A lot of it is on peddle steel, but some of it is done on lap steel. I think you'll find it very inspiring.
All the best,-Andy

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 10:24 am    

Marshall Hall of Miami, has been playing "Classical" music on a lap steel forever, as well as pedals since they came out.

I see no reason why Jerry Byrd could not have, if he had aspired to this musical genre.

God bless them both and all of you,

carl

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 12:15 pm    

Surinder: My talented friend Steve Miller plays an ecclectic range of musical styles on lap steel and dobro; his "Dobrology" CD (www.hagelberger.com/dobrology.htm) includes everything from Scott Joplin's "Magnetic Rag" to the theme from "Guys and Dolls." Particularly since he started playing in the Leavitt tuning, he's done a number of beautiful transcriptions of classical and semi-classical material. So far, none of this material has been recorded commercially, but he's done demos of the Sleeping Beauty Waltz and a theme from "Victory at Sea" by Richard Rodgers, among other things. Great stuff, which I hope finds its way onto CD soon. The Leavitt tuning certainly allows a broad enough range of chord voicings to make for very credible versions of classical material.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 9:26 pm    

Jim, Yes, I do have recording of Indian classical on lap steel, as do I have recordings of popular songs. What I don't know is a way how to convert it into a music file for a web site Sad ... If I can figure out how to do it, I would love to post it.

I am glad to note that classical recordings in lap steel do exist. I will note down all the suggestions and try to procure these. I am sure Jery Byrd and other great lap steel guitarists (many on this forum) could do it, if they wanted to. I wish I could find on lap steel the most popular, or the most "mainstream," or the most quintessential western classical music. Some thing like Bach, Mozart, or Shubert, or Rachmaninoff ... Let us take on the citadel of western music!

-Surinder
PS: And I hope if my post inspires a CD, there will be a "thanks to surinder" note on it Winking

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 16 July 2000 at 10:28 PM.]