The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chet Atkins passes your memories ?
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 12:20 pm    

Nashville is truely a sad town today.
Services will be Tuesday at the ryman

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 1:25 pm    

Chester will be sadly missed. I have an autographed picture from the early eighties I will treasure always. He used a Standel Amp he got from Jimmy Day in 1954.

Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 1:27 pm    

Janice, what time are the services and can
anyone attend? Thanks

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 1:49 pm    

A great loss. This is the first I've heard of his death. Chet's musicality and his enormous influence are both clearly in my mind at the moment, as it's only a couple of days since I re-watched an excellent documentary on Lenny Breau. Atkins was the great early influence on Breau, as he was on so many other important guitarists, and was something of a father figure to Lenny, as well. The documentary features a remarkable segment of Chet and Lenny playing together, and in a trio with Liona Boyd. As always, Chet astonishes with his tasteful, economic playing. My lasting impression of the film, though, is not of Chet playing with Lenny, but talking about how deeply he was moved by Breau's personal troubles and untimely death.
Unmistakably, Chet comes off as a deeply compassionate and principled man. He's someone I would have loved to have the chance to meet.

Excuse me now, I'm going to put on the Country All Stars CD (Atkins, Byrd, Homer and Jethro - does it get better than this?), and have a toast to Chet.

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 2:09 pm    

Bill,11:00 tuesday @ the Ryman.
Just heard the network news and Chets passing came before the update on the Vice President.
Its hard to believe that Mr. Guitar is gone.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 2:30 pm    

I am avid Chet fan and this is certainly sad news. I knew that it was coming soon. July 10th-13th is the Chet Atkins Convention in Nashville-which I have attended for the last 7 years. He is my first guitar hero and my favorite-I have a copy of all of his albums, Cds, books, and even a lifesize cardboard statue of him in my music room. My proudest possession is that I have a Gibson CG that he personally signed for me about 5 years ago when he was still able to attend the convention. As Lenny Breau said so wisely-"There is only one Chet". I have said it before on here, he is the most influential electric guitarist of all time. God bless Chet and his family.

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 3:26 pm    

Chet, if you can hear us, thank you. I saw him at Carnigie Hall more than 15 years ago. The only man I've seen who played as clean was Joe Pass. Adios.

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 5:42 pm    

Goodbye Chet.
The Lord is going to love having you in his band.Thanks for all the great music. Nuff said.
Leigh

Ed Miller Jr

Coldwater,Mi USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 8:13 pm    

I guess it's time to say goodbye to my hero. I'll never forget the first time I heard Chet. It was on Pop Goes the Country, I had almost given up playing the guitar when I heard him. It was the first time I realized that there was more to this thing than Alfred's basic guitar course! Then I met a friend who taught me the basics of thumbpicking... AND I WAS HOOKED!! How do you say goodbye to your hero? I don't think you can, I think all you can really say is thank you.

Thank you Chester B.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 8:06 am    

Larry, I too attended the CAAS convention in '94 when he signed my '60 Gretsch Country Gentleman and my '89 Gibson Country Gent and while there I paid a hundred bucks for the life sized cardboard of the man himself and now everything just went up in value to me if to no one else. I have been a CA fan since 1952 and I am thankful that this young lad found something worth while to catch my interest to keep me out of trouble over the years and this is truly a very sad day, thanks, Gary

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 9:37 am    

In reply to Janice's request about "memories", Chet of course is why I took up guitar as my primary instrument. And for some odd reason, some time ago I put my Tele back in its case and went back to a Gretsch/Gibson style guitar, the kind of instrument I started on. One memory I certainly won't forget is the letter I received from Chet September 8th, 1971. The text is as follows:

"Dear Mr. Castleman:

I would be glad to try one of your multiple tone-changers if you care to send one to the address below. I am sure I would be able to efficiently install it.

Please be aware that I am not sure how often I would be able to use it but I would be glad to try it and give you an evaluation.

Regards, Chet (signed) CA/cec"

His eventual endorsement (along with other greats such as Gregg Galbraith, Al Bruno, and Barney Kessell) helped me secure my license with Bigsby Guitar Accessories.

He has had such an impact on me both professionally and financially. I wouldn't be who I am (none of us would) if it wasn't for Chet Atkins. Best, Boomer

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2001 7:19 pm    

Early in my pre-teen years, I had a guitar hero. He was my uncle Charlie. I loved to hear him play "Wild Woodood Flower". Nobody could play it better than him. Then along came MR GUITAR and I then had two guitar heros. I think I first heard him play and realized who he was, on the OPRY. That was in the good old days as we so often hear.
I never got to meet the man but he brought to me a new appreciation of what the guitar could do. Like so many others, I probably never would have picked up a guitar if it wasn't for two men. My uncle Charlie and MR. GUITAR, CHESTER ATKINS
WE MISS YOU ALREADY CHET, RIP.

Boy doesn't that angel band got some of the best pickers ever??????? And the good news is that we'll get to hear them ALL together again one fine day.

------------------
"LET'S GO STEEL SOMETHING" If it feels good, DO IT, if it feels "COUNTRY", do it TWICE
JPP