The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fraulein
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 9:27 pm    

The first time I heard a steel guitar was on the song Fraulein. I was about three years old (1956) and I believe the song was released twice by the same singer. The only difference was the one song had steel and the other one didn't. Does anyone know who the steel player was because he is the one that got me hooked on this incredible instrument?

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 7:41 am    

Well the original was a recording by Bobby Helms, who also had a hit with "Special Angel." I don't know who played steel for Helms, but there is a video of Willie Nelson, where he sings "Fraulein", and Jimmy Day plays the steel on it.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 8:15 am    

As a side note to Fraulein. In spring of 1956, right after I went to Germany in the Air Force, we had a squadron picnic and one of the guys was getting ready to come back to the states. He had a poem, whose title was Fraulein, and the words to the poem as I remember were nearly word for word the same as the words to Fraulein. I don't remember the guy's name but it isn't what's listed on the credits for the song however it could still be the same lyrics.

About 6 months after he went back to the states the song came out. Being we were in Germany it was a big hit there.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 8:29 am    

Jack,
If my memory serves me, Lawton Williams is credited with writing Fraulein.??

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 19 June 2001 at 09:36 AM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 8:38 am    

You are correct Bob, he also wrote "Farewell Party" Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 11:15 am    

I won't say this is the case, but many a song or melody or words for songs have been pleasurized and plain ripped off in Nashville (and other places), and by some big name songwriters.

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 3:24 pm    

Bobby Helms got his start on the first TV station in Bloomington, Indiana,Channel 4. about 40 miles south of Indianapolis. He was
one of the featured singers on the show. The star on the show was a man called Uncle Bob Hardy. Another player on that show was Joe Edwards,the fiddle player on the Grand Ole Opry for a long time. I used to watch them every week, when I was a kid. Funny, now I can't remember who the steel player was. Maybe someone on this forum might know. At that time Joe Edwards was playing guitar and my cousin, Willis Colter, was playing fiddle.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2001 12:28 pm    

I worked with Bobby Helms in '78-'79 and he told me that Lloyd Green played on all of his sessions but I don't know if Lloyd was old enough then.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2001 8:37 pm    

Lloyd was not on the 1956 cut of "Frauline". Lloyd didn't start his recording career untill 1964. I know that Lloyd played for Faron Young in '56&'57. Mike Sweeney

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2001 6:51 pm    

Just a little side note here off of Fred Murphey's post above..I went out about 2&1/2 months ago to hear Bud Issacs & his wife Geri perform here in Yuma Ariz.When i walked in i heard a familiar voice calling out songs & cheering the band on..This was none other than "Uncle Bob Hardy"..What a guy he is!! A walking "Country Music Encyclopedia"
He was there when some of the best came along..Also; Joe Edwards & Uncle Bob are still best friends til this day..Joe sometimes posts on this Forum so i think he reads it every now & then...Later Ron