The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grand Ol Uproar
Wade Terral

DeKalb, Tx USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 6:09 pm    

What? No coments about the "Real Country" on TNN tonite, or does anyone watch anymore. I thought Porters hair looked nice tonite.
Cheers Wade

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 9:03 pm    

Waited for two weeks to get to watch the Opry. No offense to anyone but when I learned the Tillis gal was going to be on I realized it would likely be an all rock and roll show!
Personally, I thought the Opry tonight STUNKED! I seldom watch it anymore as it continues to be a real disappointment to this die-hard country music lover.
The awards show with all it's fireworks, flames, and smoke bombs plus R & R drummers was all I needed to motivate me to turn onto another channel. I'm just an old fashioned c/w music lover.

Vernon Hester

Cayce,SC USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 12:26 am    

We switched off to the baseball game.Hope those folk got in free.
Vern

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 4:30 am    

I always tape the TV brodcast, whether I'm home or not. That way I can fast forward through what I don't like. Sometimes I watch the whole thing, sometimes it is a waste of effort taping.

It's not just the "rock" singers, there's one that's on there and it has to be because she was once married to Harlan Howard. Then there's Ranger Doug.......

Then there's the guy that replaced Leon Rhodes. I saw him last week with a Tele and he was fighting it trying to play country. I've been told he's a great musician, but he's not a "country" musician.

Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 4:47 am    

I am with you Ray!!! The new country just leaves me cold. I like country to sound like country, not a mess. I enjoy some other types of music also, but just not much of anything that is coming out now...Maybe there will be a revolt - I even believe it may have started with the sales of so called "new country" going down the drain. As long as I have CD player I don't have to suffer through all the garbage on radio to get to listen to the few good songs they "might" eventually play...

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 5:49 am    

Well Wade and guys I do have to agree they just don't have good old down to earth country on the Opry or is it oopspry.I don't waste my time watching that garbage. I was to tied up in playing my good old country music on my Steel and that way I know I'm going to hear country music and I also watched the Bush Race on TV.That is all I watch is the Stockcar races and Play my two Steels.
Sam White
S10 Fessenden with pad 3-4
S-10 White Steel Guitar 3-4 I built

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 5:59 am    

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 7:05 am    

I try to watch the Opry IF I know that Jimmy Dickens, Connie Smith, Ray Pillow, Charlie Walker, Jean Shepard, Loretta Lynn, or Ray Price will be on.

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:12 am    

I've stated my opinion about the Sat. night Opry in the music second. But just to make it perfectly clear It was one of the worse I've ever seen!!
Leigh

Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:14 am    

Section.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:20 am    

Last night's opry was a waste of time. I try to watch it every week, but if it keeps on like this.I will have to watch my Detroit Tigers, another disappointment......al

Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:43 am    

I tape the Opry every week and always have something worthwhile to go back to. Whether it is a soon to be gone legend, or a new direction the trend is going in. Last night I heard a beautiful steel line played by the cat who was with Pam. I don't know who he is but you can bet he has paid his dues. I envy him who ever he is. I was glad that Pam had the courage to share the Opry stage with the young man in the wheel chair, when he started to sing with her I had a lump as big as Texas in my throat, and could barely fight back the tears. IMHO that kind of thing is what makes our artists special. I know years ago Pam toured with her dad and wanted to be a rocker, didn't a lot of us back when Big "E" meant Elvis instead of Emmons? Well she has matured into an artist with a heart for country and is diong all she can to sustain a career in changing times. I hope my post has opened some minds, if not I offer my apology. Take care all.
Bill Bailey

------------------

Austin A. Preston

Haines City, Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 9:41 am    

Hey Bill, I want to thank you for that post. I wanted to respond earlier but wasn't sure exactly what to say or how to say it. You pretty much summed it up with your remarks.I also thought That Pam Tellis showed a lot of class on the Opry last night.
To the rest of you guys.... Country Music, The Grand ol' Opry and many of the REAL Country things we hold dear are changing. We can't prevent that, but each of us still have stacks of classic Country albums, tapes and CD's that we can listen too when ever we like. Many cities have at least one radio station that plays the classics and if you check out the VFW and Moose halls in your area, you can hear and play older country music till your hearts content. I have truly been blessed because I live in an area that has a lot of "Mature" musicians and singers, Many of which have played and sang on the Opry. Ferlin Huskey lives about a half mile from my house and many others are within a short drive. It is always a pleasure to get with with some of the older musicians because I am about as traditional in my stylings as it gets. However... as long as Allen, George (Jones and Strait)Brad and others continue to produce great music, I'll keep my ears (and Mind) open. Let's face it, Vince Gill is one of the more progresive artist out there but with John Hughey behind him, he continues to play music that even the die-hards can appreciate. John has been one of my all time favorites and I'm always eager to see what Vince might pull out of the hat next. Guess I'm finished for now so keep up the chatter.

------------------
Emmons S12, Peavey Nashville 400, Talent: Jesus Christ www.geocities.com/rt_hawker

[This message was edited by Austin A. Preston on 17 June 2001 at 10:42 AM.]

[This message was edited by Austin A. Preston on 17 June 2001 at 10:43 AM.]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 8:00 am    

I try to be open minded about most things. Music is the main exception to that. I guess I've always been pretty narrow minded as far as what music I seek to listen too.

That hasn't kept me from enjoying a lot of country music from a lot of eras -- yes, even Urban Cowboy. However, by my standards the modern genre of country music is about the most fraudulent I've ever witnessed. In most cases there is not even the essence of country music. Of course there are a select few who still manage to get air play while keeping it country. But I won't suffer the rest of the lot just to hear them.

------------------
HagFan

James Smith

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 3:36 pm    

I didn't hear the Opry... but was at FAN FAIR.... with my 9 year old daughter..... There was almost NO COUNTRY MUSIC at Fan Fair. That's not just my opinion , but when you hear it from a 9 year old child it makes you wonder just who it is that has the nerve to call it "The world's largest COUNTRY music festival"? I and my daughter were very disappointed, with the exception for Connie Smith, Sherri Austin, and one Tammy Wynette song that Jo Dee did.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 8:05 pm    

Al Marcus, Maybe you should be a little prouder of your Tigers. They put a good whoopin' on my Indians this last weekend

[This message was edited by Richard Sinkler on 18 June 2001 at 09:06 PM.]

Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 8:00 am    

James.
Nuff Said!!!!
Leigh

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 10:18 am    

Austin,
I remember you from Gabe's! I agree with you,Pam bringing the young man out to sing with her was an inspiration. Tim Sargent did a great job as usual playing steel for her
Also, I have to mention Donna Hammitt with Bill and Robbie Flint with Alan and I can't leave out the staff band Job Well Done!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2001 9:12 pm    

Hi Richard, yeah, sometimes my Tigers do something right. They even beat the Yankees and the Twins. Wow!....al