The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Producers should know when to say 'no'.
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 8:20 am    

I heard a most hideous remake on WSM AM yesterday. It was "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" by Charlie Rich, except that the remake had big backbeat drums and questionable harmonies. Only heard the last half of a verse and half of a chorus before I had to turn it off and try to regain my composure.

Anyone know who would be stupid enough to perpetrate such a disturbing act?

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 11:58 am    

I heard Joe Diffie singing "Behind Closed Doors" on WSM yesterday. Larry

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 16 June 2001 at 12:59 PM.]

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 2:22 pm    

In my opinion, for what it is worth ($.02?), most producers have no shame!
It would be hard to surpass Charlie's original version.
(However, Joe is a great singer! I think his choice of material may be questionable at times.)

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 16 June 2001 at 03:26 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 16 June 2001 at 03:28 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 2:40 pm    

I've heard Joe do that song a couple of times. It must be part of his repitoire.

But, if they think they can make money with it they will do or put out anything. Sadly one of my heroes, Chet Atkins, was one of the leaders of the $$ producer era.

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 4:27 pm    

I find it very ironic that two of country's revered figures......... Chet Atkins and Owen Bradley, are somewhat responsible for bringing "pop" into country in the first place. Before the late 50's I don't think there was hardly any pop in country, but listen to those Patsy Cline records for instance, and you hear the syrupy strings... the oohing and aahing background vocals... and a lack of fiddle and steel. But I think that after rock and roll hit the big time they felt the need to compete....and they did so with the pop arrangments. You can still hear Patsy Cline on the OLDIES stations..... not too many "country" singers get played on an oldies station.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 6:11 pm    

I know, to me it's almost unbelievable that we don't hear the Hanks (Williams and Thompson) on retro radio, they were fantastic. (Hank T. still is,but that's another topic).
Any station that plays Jerry Lee Lewis and Patsy cline but omits Williams' classics like 'Move It On Over,' is missing a great opportunity to expand their playlist with some classics, but as Jerry wrote, it's the oohing and aahing stuff that makes it now.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 12:14 am    

Michael, I heard the same thing you did they were [singing?] live during a interview. The group is South 65. Sounds more like they want to be NSYNC or the Backstreet Boys. I turned it off too. It amazes me what the powers to be think we like. Mike

------------------

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 7:43 am    

I haven't been in the "music business" (which, to me, means the biz of selling records rather than the "bar business" which is playing shows to sell drinks) since the 1980's, however my impression was that the music business since the late 70's has been primarily run by lawyers and MBAs, whose underlings protect their jobs by predominantly saying "no" to everything and everyone, lest they say "yes" to an artist that causes the record company to lose money and they lose their job. It's simply "safer" to say "sorry, no" than to risk one's career saying "yes" to an unknown artist when you're not really sure if your desk will be in the office next week anyway.

Jerry Reed recorded a song back in the 1970's called "Tupelo Mississippi Flash" that was about such an occurance. It was humorous then, now its probably more of an accurate statement of how things work.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:35 am    

Herb,
You're holdin' the hammer just right and drove the nail in to the hilt that time with one swing. (and that's with a 10 penny nail for those of you that understand carpentry terms.) Sad, but true!!!

------------------
"LET'S GO STEEL SOMETHING" If it feels good, DO IT, if it feels "COUNTRY", do it TWICE
JPP

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2001 8:43 am    

Seems as if most people put Owen in the pop producer category. Let's not forget that he also produced: Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, Ernest Tubb, Conway Twitty, Warner Mack, Bill Anderson, Webb Pierce, Jack Greene, etc........ I don't think Chet ever produced as much country music or let the steel shine on the songs as Owen did.

Kevin

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2001 11:35 am    

As much as I enjoy Mr.Atkins playing,(have several tapes and even a few LP's) lets remember that he plays 6-string, not a 10 or 12 string pedal steel. So he might have a tendancy toward the "Pop" side of things. Also,he was/is one of the head management folks her in "Nashburg". Eventho the music has gone to heck,I still have a great admiration for the man.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2001 7:24 pm    

Herb,

you're right--the old A&R formula is "you'll be right 99% of the time if you say 'no' 100% of the time...

By the way, did you hear about the A&R man that got hit by the train?? He just couldn't hear it...

My favorite definition of A&R used to be "alcohol and restuarants"...

Later, my new favorite has become" Always wRong"...