The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brad Paisley "He's Gone Country or Crazy???'
Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 7:27 pm    

Earlier this year on the Country Music Awards Paisley's band was dressed in full tux while Brad walked on the stage dressed in black jeans and a Haines white t-shirt. Tonight Brad came on the stage dressed in all black, including a black tie wearing a black leather coat, while the band came out wearing straw hats, bib-coveralls and white t-shirts. Is this called cross-over, if so, Brad get on the same side of the street.

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2001 7:44 pm    

I didn't see the award shows but i enjoy ol Brad's music. Seems the steel in the songs i've heard him do is pretty well out front, by todays standards. I don't care if he and the band dress in scuba gear, as long as the steel is easily heard and not covered up by the tube-screamin rock guitar. Let's hear the steel.

------------------
"Steel is the real deal"

erik

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 2:44 am    

Maybe someone's getting paid to come up with these "creative" ideas.

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 12:26 pm    

Sounds like that scene in "Honeysuckle Rose" where they get this new, young, hotshot guitar player who has some fancy nudie suit. They send him out front to warm up the audience, then when the curtain opens, there's Willie and the whole band in these hideous, yellow and green outfits. Playing "Whiskey River" of course.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 4:37 pm    

Love Brad but the overalls for the back-up band has to go. TOO HOKEY!!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 2:24 pm    

Brad was just turning around the comments he got for his dress on the awards show.He has a little "Smart A$$ so there" in him.But I'm glad he do got a sense of humor.

------------------
CJC

Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 2:51 pm    

A clothing-related Brad Paisley note - you'll all recall that for his induction night into the Opry back in Febr, he wore Buck Owens' rhine-stoned yellow jacket from the '66 Carnegie Hall show.

He played an outdoor festival gig outside Comstock, Nebr (pop. 135) a couple of weeks ago - I got to visit with him for awhile outside his bus that afternoon. Realizing that I had Buck's Carnegie Hall CD in my pickup - I told Brad I had something for him to autograph, so went and fetched the liner with the great cover pic of Buck, Don, and the fellas in their suits standing outside Carnegie Hall.

Paisley was thrilled, said that was the first occasion anyone had asked him to sign that - and promised that in signing that cover, was like signing in blood in reverence for Buck, Don, and all-things Bakersfield. He actually hesitated a bit about whether or not he thought he should sign it. I pointed to the sky and told him that Don would love the way he rings that tele - Brad's reply... "Man, I hope he's listening with you tonight here in Nebraska". - Neil

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 5:21 pm    

To each his own?
You reminded me of a couple of weird stage gags of the past...Mason Williams "playing" live on a 70's concert TV special. He did "Classical Gas" on a see-through plexiglass guitar, with water and a live goldfish in it. And...
The sax player at a late 1970's Frank Zappa concert...playing (quite well, in fact) two saxes simultaneously, which were both nestled beneath a fur coat he wore!
If the music is good, I can more or less ignore the wardrobe and/or antics.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2001 7:36 am    

I don't think anyone can top k.d. lang winning 'Most Promising New Artist'in the 1980s and she bounded onstage in a wedding dress!

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2001 9:31 am    

other TV stage antics...
the only POCO video I ever saw back in the 70's,( for "You'd Better THink Twice" I believe) had the band out on a sailing craft of some sort, and Rusty Young was "playing" his pedal steel set up on deck with no pedal rods attached...

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2001 10:14 pm    

Tommy,
This may have been Randle Currie's doings! Lets blame the steelman. I know he wears overalls alot.
I hope Randle gets back online soon!

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 22 June 2001 at 11:20 PM.]

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2001 2:46 pm    

Darn it all any way Theresa when Randle left Saskatchewan I thought we kept all thoes work boots and overalls here, sorry, lol.
Keith Currie