The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMT: Models more important than steelers??
Kevin Lamb

San Bernardino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 2:00 am    

After watching months of CMT I think I can answer the question"why don't we see the steel players in modern country videos." Steelers don't look like Playboy cover girls.
....the new rule for country music videos is that "the girl from the modeling agency must be on-screen at least 50% of the time."
It's video prduction houses like Deaton/flannigen that seem to be callng the career shots these days...I mean, I watch the new Brooks & Dunn video and think ther is hope...."hey there's the band!....and a steel player!....maybe we'll get to see him!....Nah, the model from New York still gets all the screen time...
Now I know the steeler has something to do with the song....but I'm trying to figure out the contribution the Cosmo girl is making.....
If I had a daughter that wanted to make it in country music, I'd send her to "Cindy Crawford" school before I'd pay for music lessons.
And don't think video's aren't helping drive the market these days....would we really be seeing Toby Kieth selling so many records if it were not for the "How Do You Like Me Now" video? He had two hotties and a cheerleading squad in that one.
On occasion I catch a glimpse of Paul Franklin playing back there in the dark....if the video editor slips up.
I am not a "moden country music basher." I think some of the progressions and solos are very clever and fresh. Some amazing music is being made today.
But I guess its just a matter of time beforer the modeling agencies teach the cuties how to midi Ban-In-a-Box through a Roland Synth and then we won't have to clutter up the music with real musicians and performers anymore.
How long before someone starts publishing "Modern Country Video Model Magazine." Watch out Country Weekly."

And then, of course, if you want to be a modern coutry female artist, you have to look as good as the model. do you really think Sarah Evans would be a "country star" if she hadn't dropped 50lbs?

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 5:41 am    

The models will always win. Who wants to watch someone hunched over a steel guitar, when we can watch some tall blonde girl leaning against a '69 'vette in front of a gas station in the desert, with beads of sweat on her neck as she drinks a cool drink from a straw and brushes her hair back and shakes her head before bending over to take open the hood of the 'vette, then breaking into long left to right sway to the beat of the song, closes the hood, lays on top of it and sings along with the song... Whoops. Forgot I was typing here. Remind me, what's a steel guitar?

Seriously tho, I'm more annoyed by the music videos or concert footage that cuts to a different musician during the steel break...unless that musician is a tall blonde caressing the fiddle with the bow, while her hips sway to the ......

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 7:21 am    

May be we should take a tip from the custom bikers. I'm thinking that exotic metal work combined with cool paint jobs with skulls, spiders and naked women would go a long way toward getting us some tube time. Somehow the standard kitchen cabinet finish and the upside down mike stands don't draw the attention of the producers.

I've always wanted change out front panels . . .

BR

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 7:48 am    

Bill, that's exactly what I said here last year. We need flames and custom engraving...pin striping and airbrush work before we get noticed!!!

If you want to get the young 'uns attention, make it LOOK cool. (Kids don't care how it sounds!) Kids wanted to be a drummer only after they added red and blue sparkle finishes to the drums.

Wood grain went out with libraries and running boards! The "Rain Song" guitars are beautiful...3-D waffle carbon-fibre and all.

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 8:32 am    

Ok, now to the meat of the subject:

Who here has been passed up for a gig, because they didn't fit the "image" ?
-John

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 12:46 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:50 PM.]

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 2:33 pm    

I went to an audition for Bryan White, when he first got his record deal, and was told not to even unload my guitar because my hair was to short. (true story)

Kevin

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2001 3:47 pm    

John Steele...let me make a guess on your "question"!

Let's see...there's Buddy, Lloyd, Hal, Herby, Weldon, Ralph, Buddy, Reece, and gosh...and a whole bunch of other middle-aged guys who are fine steelers, but don't fit the "image" of the new twenty-something year old stars who just have to be surrounded by young, handsome, musicians to maintain their "youthful appeal".

How many 50+ year-olds are charting records nowadays? (You can probably count them on one hand!) Indeed, it's not the music that sells today---it's the "sex appeal".

(see what you started, Dolly?)