The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nothing but Jimi Hendrix...
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 8:51 pm    

I saw Hendrix open for the Monkees in Greensboro NC in july of 67...
I've not been the same since.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 5:11 am    

'Round here, the old hippies tell me that the Who played at some hole in the wall tavern in St Charles, IL. A stop on their way to DeKalb, IL to play at Northern IL Univ, way back when they were just starting to play the States. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard it from several people.

Oh, and top this: I saw the Buckinghams play the summer family festival in Carol Stream, IL WAY back in 1991!! Oh yeah, I think they even had ONE original member in the band!!

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2001 7:01 am    

For whatever reason I didn't want to enter this thread. Today I thought, I may learn something I wasn't looking for and I did.

I read those lyrics not knowing or ever having heard the song. They were just words with no feeling because I did not know the melody. They were nothing to me because something vital to their meaning was missing.

For some years I have been helping my wife try to save her suicidal, addicted, tatooed and pierced daughter. I have written down lyrics to songs that I thought would create a spark of knowing in her. I was wrong !!
Unlike Jimmi, I had no lighter fluid.

She heard those words to be as empty as the lyrics on this post were to me because she did not know the melody and even if she had, she didn't hear it like I did. With out the living learning experience we share with our songs, they become just words, and then just letters and then nothing at all.

If there were some way to make a connection to her spirit I would do it. But like others who have tried to make this connection, I forgot how fragile the line really is and that it may very well break in the effort. To reach out and touch someone else with your percieved emotions in a given music or thought is a rare occurance but magic when it happens.

Sincerest Regards, Paul

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2001 2:36 pm    

Paul-

Theoretically you perhaps would have to do more than hear that particular song's melody to capture what he was trying to convey. I don't know exactly what he was trying to convey, but the style of lyric is identified with psychedelic drug experience. I don't consider myself gifted poetically, and I wonder if stuff like that really means much of anything, or is at least partially just pretence. Maybe someone will offer an interpretation? After drug experiences of my own, I would sometimes write stuff like that, but I was just mimicking the fashion. Cream had similar lyrics on some of their stuff from that time.

For me the things that still stand today from both Hendrix and Cream do so because of the fact that both Hendrix and Clapton were great blues players, and had people behind them, (especially Bruce and Baker for Clapton), that could improvise and make it interesting.

If I understand your own use of words, Paul, about the fragility of the thread of communication that exists with your stepdaughter, I know how the strength of desire to communicate with someone often seems to doom the attempt. Hope things work out.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2001 5:00 pm    

Jeff; I want to Thank You for the insight in your responce. I enjoyed reading through it and I think you are dead right about desire dooming the effort. This isn't just a generation gap in musical likes and dislikes because I'm three generations away from her and that may be another impossible bridge to cross.

I saw the similarity in what DVA was writing and what I had been doing and that old light went on upstairs. Thanks to all of you who participate in this Forum and make it the learning place it is for a lot of us and also for the diversity of subjects covered as well.

Sincerest Regards, Paul