The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stagg
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 10:08 am    

What a great day - someone I just casually know gave me his old electric guitar as a gift! It's a Tele `72 custom-copy, sports two Humbuckers and is made in Japan. It's sounds amazingly good and has a great one-piece strat-style neck. Does someone know something about the manufacturer "Stagg"? I saw strings with that label recently, but I couldn't find something on the net.

Thanks for your help!

------------------
martin abend my homepage chicotarde@web.de
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 12:14 pm    

I don't recall ever seeing that name here in the U.S. I wonder if that was a brand name used in Europe?? I worked in a music store in 71/72 and the Japanese made guitars were the inexpensive low end models.

But, I worked with a guy in the Washington, DC area that had a cheap Japanese guitar and he loved it, even tho it was hard to fret and discorded. We finally shamed him in to buying a good Fender and he played it for about two weeks and the next gig he was back to the Japanese guitar.

jlsmith48

blackwell ok usa
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 2:16 pm    

According to Blue Book Of Guitars, The Stagg Guitar is a brand name of a UK importer. They are entry level to low quality solid body guitars that featured designs based on popular American classics. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2001 3:36 pm    

The Stagg name has been around at least 10 years, maybe 15. You'll find their name on Fender, as well as Gibson knock-offs. Also, on microphones and earphones. I have no idea what importer builds their guitars...they might subcontract to several Asian outfits.