The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lee Clayton
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2001 11:10 pm    

On the "Country-Rock" thread in Bar Chatter ther is a mention of Lee Clayton's "Border Affair" album, which got me wondering (yet again) what if anything he's up to these days. I know in the 80s he was living in Norway, and I heard maybe 3 years ago that he was back living in Nashville.
Anyone know anything?
(For those who don't know, Lee wrote "Ladies Love Outlaws" and "If You Can Touch Her At All" among many other great and highly individual songs. He made 4 albums (that I know of) plus a live one made in Norway, and I think only released in Europe. Style varies from Dylan/folk to the rock side of Country-Rock - but he does have Lloyd Green on his first album and Jimmy Day on his second, which can't be bad!)
Nick

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2001 12:31 pm    

I haven't heard of him lately, Nick. I still have his debut album, and play it occasionally. It's one of the few albums I can honestly say there's not a bad song on the album. Lee was a little to "Dylan-esque" for the country folks, and a little too "polished and produced" for the young crowd, so his own work never caught on. His song "Red Dancing Dress" is the only song I've ever heard with fiddle and violins! The backup on this whole album is amazing...including the "out of tune" piano work on RDD that lends an air nostalgia to that song.

I'll check around and see if I can find out what he's been up to.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2001 5:06 pm    

I really like his debut album, and I've been curious as to what he's up to.
There was rumours of a live album from a U.K. showcase/comeback gig from 1989, but I've yet to find any proof of that.

A great singer who was too country for the singer songwriter crowd, too folky for the country charts, not rock enough for country-rock and too early to make money off of the 'Outlaw' craze.
Which is a shame because he's a real talent.

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2001 8:07 am    

There IS a live album done in Norway, with a Norwegian band, from 1990, I think - I'll have to check.
I just saw on AMG that Lee's first public performance was playing Steel Guitar Rag on "Hawaiian Guitar"... !
Maybe this should move to "Bar Chatter"
Nick

Mark Tomeo

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2001 7:23 am    

Jason Odd, you ought to write a book. You have more information and a better take on country/rock and pop music than any columnist I know of. Everytime I read one of your posts it takes me back in a way that I can touch that era. I'd rather read your posts than any of the music magazines.
Thanks,
Mark

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2001 2:35 pm    

Shhhhh Mark, ...I am.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 5:27 pm    

Jason: Inquiring minds want to know. When is the projected release of your book going to be. There are thousands of us here on the Forum who wish to purchase one. You be da man. You are a walking music history lesson and I for one definitely appreciate your presence here. You remember details of even the "lowly" sidemen of the business, and not just the sidemen of the stars. You know just about every sideman who ever worked in Southern CA from the sixties to today. You must be taking smart "remembering pills." I love the nostalgia and memories you bring to mind.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2001 6:05 pm    

Jim Bob, it keeps getting pusged back, it was supposed to be late this year, but I don't think it's going to make it at this rate.
If I could stop having car crashes and injuries and generally getting distracted by all sorts of daily mayhem, computer viruses and the like I'd probably still not be finished, but closer.
At this point it's not a finished draft, but I pretty much have everything I need. I'm still trying to turn up a few details, I probably will right to the end.
At the moment I'm very reliant on another Australian writer getting his work published as he will most likely vouch for me with his publisher, otherwise I've not had much in the way of feedback on the whole concept without a decent draft to float around.

I've certainly enjoyed our exchanges Jim Bob, you and so many others had added some excellent flavouring and texture to this musical stew we have here.
Beassured I will keep everyone posted.