The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I can't understand the show C.M.T very well,sorry
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 1:28 pm    

Maybe this is a matter of my own personal opinion,but I am sure that some of you will agree.Read the magazine's? Watch a little C.M.T perhaps? This stands for what?Yea,I thought it stood for country music television. I have watched C.M.T through out the years in my life,and I have also read the magazine Country Weekly. I quite never see the musicians though, ok maybe at a quick glance,but not long enough to realize who is playing what instrument most of the time.when was the last time you saw someone do a hour long showcase,or broadcast about the steel player's,or even the fiddle player's on the television.Shure I understand that they are trying to sell the recording artist alone,but what good is he or she without musicians?This just kind of hurt's me, because what will become of the steel or any other musical instrument in the near future?
I just wish someone would publish ,or broadcast a little something about us hard working musicians.Who will take the lead on recording sessions,and the live television.I am just curious.

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:00 pm    

Hi there Marty,
I think that over a long period of many years we`ve had this "stuff" thrown at us calling it Country ----- Who`s ????????

A lot of threads have come and gone covering all the pros and cons regarding this kind of music.

To be honest, I`ve never ever met anyone who likes this kind of stuff. Not only that, but you just try to whistle any of the modern stuff coming from Gnash-ville, it`s so repetitious that you soon get to sleep listening to it.
The steel breaks are awesome trying just to hear them, let alone wanting to capture what it is they`re doing. I gueass it`s not totaly the steel players`s fault, but the producers who seem to know what the public "seem" to want.
Going from previous threads - there dosn`t seem to be any kind of conclusion to the apathetic "modern"? sounds.

Just my two cents worth.

Bob Mainwaring Z.Bs. and other werd things.

------------------

Bob Mainwaring

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:01 pm    

Hi there Marty,
I think that over a long period of many years we`ve had this "stuff" thrown at us calling it Country ----- Who`s ????????

A lot of threads have come and gone covering all the pros and cons regarding this kind of music.

To be honest, I`ve never ever met anyone who likes this kind of stuff. Not only that, but you just try to whistle any of the modern stuff coming from Gnash-ville, it`s so repetitious that you soon get to sleep listening to it.
The steel breaks are awesome trying just to hear them, let alone wanting to capture what it is they`re doing. I guess it`s not totaly the steel players`s fault, but the producers who seem to know what the public "seem" to want.
Going from previous threads - there dosn`t seem to be any kind of conclusion to the apathetic "modern"? sounds.

Just my two cents worth.

Bob Mainwaring Z.Bs. and other werd things.

------------------

Bob Mainwaring

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:02 pm    

Oops!! Sorry!!

------------------

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:13 pm    

Well, I like pretty much all kinds of music, so "New Country" doesn't bother me a whole lot. I do like "Old Country" a whole lot better though. I thought the show wasn't half bad for an awards show (which usually don't even spark enough interest from me to watch). I thought Terry Bradshaw was a good choice for co-host. He was able to pull off the "Dick Clark" kind of stupid humor that none of the so-called country stars could have pulled off. The special awards to Vince and Kathy Mattea were well deserved. It was great to see John Hughey playing again with Vince. That made my whole day. My wife couldn't understand why 3 gallons of drool came from my mouth during that song. Seeing THE PLAYERS on stage behind the artists was great. THese guys never cease to amaze me. I'm glad to see Alan win so many awards (with George too). It shows that the fans really do appreciate GOOD country music. Either that, or we forum members each voted a thousand times each.

Jeesh... Did I say all that?

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 3:22 pm    

A lot of folks are asking what "country music" means these days (and I'm not even going to open that can of worms personally). It's no coinsidence that record sales are WAY off and record labels are closing doors in Nashville. What worked before is simply not working, so....the search begins for the formula (and whether that's country music roots or not...well, someone else can expound on that).
Of course, as a musician myself, I'd love to see the instrumentalist get more public recognition (and the Grammy's to always air the instrumentalist categories in prime time). But, the artists are like the homebuilders who get the credit (and the BIG bucks) while the sub-contractors (who did most of the work)spend most of their spare time looking for the next job.
Now...if enough instrumentalists were to get enough hit records and sales were VERY good, then we'd see more spotlighting. Then again, maybe I'm just sour grapes that I wasn't gifted with a great singing voice so that I too could be one of those artists.

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 7:10 pm    

Hey Goober!!!!! Some of your friends are wondering what you're doing up in Nebraska??
Johnnie moved, but I think you know that, and I am moving to Magnolia, too, in July.
You need to call one of us.

C YA

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 9:48 pm    

Like Marty, I wish they would spotlight the steel players! Don't these people know that 90% of the time it's the steel that fills it what's missing and gives a record whatever "country" identity it may have? Nah, steel players are boring and wierd. Put them behind the curtain and keep them off camera. And whatever you do, don't elect one as "Instrumentalist of The Year" because we've never done that before! Apparently they don't want today's so-called "country music" fans to even know what a steel guitar is.

Just my $.02, been saying it for years.

Tim R.

Travis Bolding

Stroud, OK, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 9:59 pm    

I grew up in the fifty's and sixty's and, even back then, I never thought there was enough steel guitar in the country songs. To me, I don't see that anything has changed. Back then, I couldn't find ANY information about the steel guitar, or who played it. It just wasn't made available. Everyone knew who Chuck Berry was, and Duane Eddy (twangggg), and Chet Atkins. But no one ever mentioned Buddy Emmons, Buddy Charleton (for years I thought they were the same person), and until I saw a Ray Price album that named Jimmy Day, I didn't even know he existed. And I grew up in Texas!! So, other than this forum, I don't see much of a change in that, either. Back then, the average guy on the street didn't know what a steel guitar was. Ditto, today. This "steel guitar vacuum" has existed forever. Why is everyone just now getting concerned? ~~ Travis

------------------

The GARY GIBSON BAND (Our Schedule)

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2001 10:01 pm    

The CMA (Country My A$$) has to claim a lot of the responsibility for the TV productions we see today. The musicians are a necessary evil to get the songs recorded, and are kept out of the"limelight" on the TV productions. There was one production titled" The Players " featuring the "A Team" recording band which included Paul Franklin. Paul did not get anywhere near the playing time as the other solo players. Sounded more like country and rock which I appropiatly call "CROCK". Or country and rap which I would call "CRAP". Just my opinion. See you down the road. Jody.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 2:07 am    

Hey Jody, I like your CMA (Country My A$$) bit. Very well said. I was watching a Travis Trit video yesterday on the country video channel and the song had some great steel on it. What upset me was that they never showed him or his guitar. When a steel break would start they would shoot Travis's boots or some ol gal and even the Strat lead but never once did they show the steel or the gifted man behind it. Wonder why Nashville is ashamed of the steel?

Rick

Quesney Gibbs

Anniston, AL
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 3:06 am    

At the dances ano other functions we play I have never heard anyone come up to the bandstand and ask for one of those idiot songs like "She Thinks My Tractors Sexy" or others of that ilk.

But many times while I am setting up my steel someone comes up and asks if I can play anything by Ray Price or others of that quality.People come to dance and listen and the surest way to run off a crowd is to play the "new country".

We do what people like to hear and when we play people like what we do and hang around.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 3:28 am    

I've never known why the various award shows are called Music awards when the only people getting any awards are Singers, not the people playing the Music

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 8:15 am    

I've moved this to the Music forum.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2001 9:09 am