The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rank Guitar Models/Makers
Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2000 5:18 pm    

I can get some information about various vintage lap steel guitar, their models and makers. What is not obvious is how one would rank them. For instance, I can surmise from the discussion that Rickenbacher Bakelite is better than a all-metal. But could some one provide a rough approximate ranking of makers to give a novice like me an idea to get started. The models that keep coming in my search are: Rickenbacher, National, Supro, Magnatone, Silvertone, Eptone, Gretsch, Fender, Gibson, Harmony, and Melobar. I am utterly confused and do not know how to view them. Just a rough ranking would be great help.

Surinder
surinder@ieee.org

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 07 July 2000 at 06:51 PM.]

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 7:00 am    

Surinder:

It's very difficult to make an absolute ranking of this sort, both because personal tastes and needs vary so greatly, and because there can also be an enormous qualitative range between different instruments of a given brand name. It's a safe generalization that of the brands you list, Rickenbacker and Fender are most in demand, but again that doesn't mean that all Rickenbackers or Fenders are of equal value. Any Rickenbacker with the "horeshoe" pickup is a decent instrument, but the ones with bakelite body are most desirable, especially the pre-war model with 1-1/2" wide pickup.
Similarly, there are no bad sounding Fenders, but the models most sought-after are those with either the trapezoidal wrap-around pickup or twin pickups and blender switch.

Of the other brands, opinions vary greatly.
Gibsons are extremely well made, playable guitars, as are most Nationals, Supros and other instruments manufactured by the Valco corporation. Although most people prefer Rickenbacker or Fender, the fact is that many of the finest players, from Don Helms to Freddie Roulette to Ken Emerson, have chosen Gibson or Valco. Similarly, Epiphones are generally considered poor-sounding instruments, but Willie Eason produces a magical sound on his. The popular view of Harmony is of an inferior "budget" brand, but the grey pearloid Harmony I bought for $75 is one of my favorite guitars.

Of all the brands you mention, only Melobar are currently in production, and are absolutely first-rate instruments. The SLS, in particular, is a superb sounding guitar at a reasonable price, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the guitar for you.

In short, trust your own ears. By all means, start your search with Rickenbacker and Fender, and be sure to play a Melobar, but try everything you can get your hands on. You'll know the right one by the way it sounds, and the way it sits on your lap.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 7:45 pm    

Ian:

Thanks you for the post. Any sense of how they are viewed is helpful. Although I am not a great player, but based on my playing the hawaiian guitar in India and US, I CAN make a decision as to which guitar I want. The problem, however, is that stores have limited lap steels. I have to go on the internet to decide which instrument I want, which means that I can't play them before buying. This is where knowing reputation and approximate ranking is a tremendous help. Any information is better than none.

Surinder
surinder@ieee.org

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 10 July 2000 at 09:34 AM.]

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2000 6:31 am    

George Gruhn has two good books out. (NOT the price guide) One is a volume on the history of electric guitars and one is a volume on acoustic guitars. Get the one on electric guitars...the first few chapters are all about lap steels with lots of pictures and dscriptions. (Tho the picture of the "late thirties" bakelite Rick might be labeled wrong...it looks just like my late forties bakelite Rick)

My own top 5 list:
1) Rickenbacher bakelite with 1 1/2" pickup
2) Rickenbacher bakelite with 1 1/4" pickup

3) 50's Supro with the "Jerry Douglas/Ry Cooder/David Lindley pickup...see the Gruhn book for description and pictures.

4) Late forties Fenders with the trapozoidal/string thru pickup.

5) Mid fifties Fenders with smooth top plastic pickups.

Avoid the Gibson BR9 model...you see them all the time on ebay. It's the cream colored
lap with brown plastic trim. Very well made but a weak sounding pickup that looks like a P90 but isn't.

Fifties Supro/Silvertone/Airline laps sometimes go for as little as $150. If they have the right pickup, these are a steel! (pun intended) Really cool, growly tone that's great for rock and blues.

I'd look for a Rick or Supro. If money is tight, go for the Supro...try to find one from the fifties with a 1/4" input jack, and not the old style screw on connector or worse, one with the cord built into the guitar.

I'd pass on anything other than the Rick, Fender or Supro...that way, you can't go wrong.

Lew