The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Surprise, Suprise! My Lesson Learned!
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 7:06 am    

Hi Guys,

I recieved the Hawaiian CDs I asked about. Here is my review and it's only my opinion, but I'll tell you the truth!

Number one, I know for certain that Jerry Byrd is human now! The Polynesian Suite CD by him has to be my least favorite of his playing. I am surprised that he even let this thing stay out on the market. Someone else must have the rights to this CD. He's too much of a perfectionist to allow this out on his own.

Sol Hoopii Vol. I and Vol. II were both ordered and I can tell that he was techniquely a great player. I suppose its the recordings are so old, but the quality is awful. He may have influenced a lot of players in his day, because people knew no better sound quality but the recordings and sound is horrible. Now, I realize they are from old 78s and I forgot about all those worn out sounds where you can hear all the noise, more than the music. Sol Hoopii yes! His recordings no way, at least these recordings.

The "Hawaiian Steel" CD was great, fabulous, marvelous. I just can't say to much good about it! I recommend it!

One for four isn't to bad and I have 3 more things to collect dust. I learned a great lesson by all of this! Beware of what others tell you about vintage recordings, and don't forget that old recordings were all on old scratchy, noisey records.

Sorry if it offends some of you, "but I'se calls em likes they is, cowboys!!! Some of you tried to warn me on the familiar Hawaiian postings and I appreciate that, shame on me for not listening!

Terry Wood

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 8:45 am    

Terry,

It's called, "Remembering things as we want them to have been, rather than the way they were"

You ought to hear what JB says about some of his old recordings. It makes yours a compliment. He hates them. Literally hates them. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if other greats don't feel the same way.

On a side note, it is very easy to take for granted the temendous advance in recording techniques over the last 50 odd years. You found out quick how dull and lifeless they once were.

God bless you,

carl

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 8:51 am    

Terry:

Don't give up on the Sol Hoopii CDs. I had the same reaction as you until I decided to sit down with them and try to learn some of the songs. After a few hours of that, I predict the quality of the recordings will be secondary to the enjoyment and respect you'll have for Sol's genius.

Aloha,

-Bill

PS I think you'd enjoy History of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar 1927 to 1950 on Hana Ola Records from Cord International, HOCD34000. Check out www.cordinternational.com for info.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 9:15 am    

Gads, what did you really expect ? Those recordings go back some 50 - 75 years. Ignore the scratches and enjoy the genius of Sol. Heck, 50 years ago I had an old Model A Ford which in no way compares to my 98 Honda, but gee, I'd love to get behind the wheel of that old car again. Same goes for recordings. I certainly don't mind the noise and scratches...possibly because I grew up with them.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 12:09 pm    

Hi Guys,

THanks for the info and C Dixon your right.
I can tell Sol Hoppii was a ggreat player but I guess I didn't consider all the olf noise that comes with all the old recordings.

Sorry, guys I can't stand the noise. Once you get used to the new recordings you'll hardly listen to the noise and junk. I personally record on the latest digital recording equipment and in a new recording studio. I just can't stand noise anymore. In fact, I don't even listen to my own analog recordings from the 1980's. There is a ton of noise on many recordings.

I no longer listen to the hundreds of steel L.P.s that I purchased during the 1970's-1980s. There are several famous and great steel players who have terrible recordings out. Not due to their playing, heaven forbid, but by the recordings of the times.

What you once thought was good, might not have been so good.

I am not criticizing Sol's playing but as someone mentioned there is 75 years of noise on the CDs. I would just have soon purchased some novice players recordings without the noise. Some of you may like it, hey I got some tapes I'd like to sell you. In fact I'd consider selling all the old steel albums I own if some where interested. I probably have close to 200. I know a lot of them are out of print now too.

Terry Wood

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 1:13 pm    

Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 2:18 pm    

Once the musicianship and character of the recording comes through I couldn't care a less what it sounds like. I'm not saying you are dismissing the past Terry just because it was not recorded on digital state of the art equipment, but my point is a good guitar solo is a good guitar solo no matter what era it was recorded during, and to overlook it is a sin.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 3:19 pm    

Again, Sol is a great player but I will seldom if ever listen to the ton of noise on these CDs.

I sure could not recommend them to anyone! There is a world of music out there without the noise and these CDs were not worth the price I paid for the pair. I'd gladly trade them or sell them to anyone of you.

T.J. Wood