The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Producers from Hollywood
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 10:11 am    

Perhaps this has been covered previously but I have not noticed it. If so, disregard this post. Okay?
HOW did all of those HOLLYWOOD PRODUCERS manage to get inside the circle of the top Nashville recording artists?
Once this happened, not only the records turned to crappola, but so did the historical GRAND OLE OPRY and all of the fambulous history that accompanied it.
Was it the newcomers so anxious to cross-over into the pop field? Or was it a sales job by Hollywood to the old timers, offering them a chance to get even bigger in their declining older years? Somebody sold us out!
The Gaylord Group, I have been lead to believe, is one of the main culprits. Right or wrong?
Just curious... Dixon, you likely have the knowledge to answer this perplexing question.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 10:23 am    

Who are these "Hollywood producers", Ray? Got any names?

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 10:44 am    

Is anyone actually "FROM" Hollywood? Seems like everybody in Hollywood is from somewhere else....

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 10:48 am    

Okay, I found one. Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Ty Hearndon, Jo Dee Messina and Randy Travis all use Byron Gallimore, who also produces a lot of movie soundtracks. Looking at his credits, it seems that he actually has more influence on contemporary music than any of the artists he produces.

He was born in Tennessee, though.

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 24 April 2001 at 11:50 AM.]

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 12:37 pm    

Well now there's "Country, Tennessee" (where I'm from) and there's "Hippy Rock n Roll, Tennessee" (where I'm not from). So, I think we know where Mr. Gallimore is from.

Kevin

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 1:23 pm    

Well, I'm from Hollywood... but, sheesh! I got to Texas as fast as I could!!!

Quote:
Well now there's "Country, Tennessee" (where I'm from) and there's "Hippy Rock n Roll, Tennessee" (where I'm not from).

Kevin, that is about as great a Forum signature as I have ever read from any Forumite. You should definitely add that to you signature immediately, pardner!!

Call me when you come to Austin, dude. I want you to go over my Fingertip 'Bud.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 1:25 pm    

RIGHT ON, KEVIN.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 4:30 pm    

Ray, for three-quarters of a century, Hollywood has been the bastion of the "entertainment millionaires". I guess that the wannabee stars in Nashburg figured if they wannabee rich...they should learn from, and associate with, the experts!

Regretably, it seems to be working.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 5:04 pm    

I wouldn't be pointing any fingers at Hollywood, Ethan and Joel Coen just madethe definative country statement with 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' and if you listen to the hot soundtrack (try requesting it on a country station near you..yeah right), you will hear some fine bluegrassy, old timey music by a variety of artists with top production values and of great importance to the story line.

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 7:49 pm    

Any industry that's generating a lot of fast money is going to attract the charlatans and the opportunists. If you think they're bad in Nashville, you ought to have to work for them in Hollywood. If I think about it, I'll get madder so I gotta stop.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2001 8:50 pm    

I have just a simple comment. What sells is what producers go after. It generally has little to do with personal preference.

In any business, the purpose is to be as profitable as possible and to conduct it in an honest way. While there are plenty of charlatens, they generally do not last.

There are purests, yes, but they are never mainstream. They keep alive the traditions and history that would otherwise be lost to the future generations.

If the music we love sold to the current buying public, producers would be falling over themselves trying to find the next Johnny Cash, or Buck or Ray, or Bob Wills or BE.

I think it's time to face up to the truth. What was, was. What is, is. There is no betrayal here, tho we can conjure up a hundred examples, a thousand reasons and as many "I wish it was like then" as we all can count.

Life moves on, and it moves by us sooner than later. We can bitch about it, and I do, but we can't stop it. So let's roll with it, as best we can.

It's too futile to go uphill and against the wind anymore.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 5:53 am    

It's Nashville!

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 4:18 pm    

Ken Nelson was a Hollywood producer. I think we all liked what he produced.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 6:19 pm    

Rayman, I don't think Lee Anne is finished quite yet, unless by finished you mean she has a role in a Hollywood film where theatre crowds get to see her sing and strut her stuff, while the tie in single gets lot of rotation?
She's doing all right.

On the subject of indie and underground music, well it's the future of country music and you nailed it right when you wrote that.
I don't blame anyone for going pop, look in 1968 Tammy Wynette had to squeeze out an album in two days, whereas a band on the rock divsion of the same label would get weeks or even months to record.
Since the mid 1960s when people realised that rock was more than a two year thing, the labels began a focused approach which is impossible to compete with on a mainstream level.

Well, there are freak sucesses, and the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack CD is selling extrememly well, not that many country stations would play it.
Buy independant today, it's the American way!

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 8:33 pm    

I'm still waiting for the names of the "Hollywood Producers"...

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2001 8:51 pm    

Me too!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 4:35 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:17 PM.]

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 5:34 am    

I think Ray was referring to such LA guys as Dan Huff. A great pop/rock guitarist but now a top "Nashville" producer.

Kevin

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 6:50 am    

Though I don't agree with the demonization of "Hollywood Producers" as being the downfall of country music, I think I can name a few musician/producers now working in N'burg who got part/all of their career start in LA. Lemme see, firing up the ol' memory banks...

Richard Bennett (steel player back in the 60's); Brian Ahern; Steve Fishell (steel player); Mutt Lange; Boomer Castleman; Louie Shelton; David Hungate; Wendy Waldman... not bad company, really!

I'm drawing a blank now. Sorry, memory's gone 404.

I think the first producers who attempted to screw up country music as we all knew it by making it palatable for "pop music" audiences were those two carpetbagging Yankees, Owen Bradley and Chester Atkins.

------------------

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 7:52 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 01 May 2002 at 05:18 PM.]

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 4:17 pm    

Actually, Dann Huff is from Nashville, and was playing sessions there at a young age. He was also heavily involved in the Christian music scene there before his stint in California. He IS a master at pop/crossover production, and I am a fan of his records. Paul Franklin's son is also his A&R guy.

I'm not sure where Richard Bennet and Steve Fishell are from originally, but they both have made some mighty fine country records. Steve's production of Radney Foster's "Del Rio, Texas 1959" is a standout.

Byron Gallimore is trom Tennessee, and ran Charlie Pride's Pride Music Group for years, and is a Civil War buff. Hardly a "Hollywood" type, though his production is sought after for soundtracks.

Josh Leo would come to my mind as a California producer, though he too has made some dandy's like "Fishing in the Dark" for the Nitty Gitty Dirt Band.

Actually, Mutt Lange is from the South, too--South Africa that is . One of my good friends grew up with him, playing in garage bands, and he is a true fan of real country music.

While country music is not, and will never be the same, I find it amusing where the blame gets placed sometimes.

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2001 4:43 pm    

What is popular in country music today is certainly not what was popular 30 or so years ago (I'm great at stating the obvious, eh?). What existed then was foundational, and it remains great music.... but at the same time I think there has been also some very good country in recent years. As was mentioned above, I also think it would be hard to go back.

Something occurred to me recently regarding the changes we've seen in country over the years.... country music came about in the first place because some other kind(s) of music changed or merged in order to become what we know as "country". Therefore, without change, country never would have existed. So I suppose we should not be either surprised nor dismayed that it continues to change.

The old greats will always be great. There will also always be resurgences of interest in them to keep them alive, I think. Thank God we have some marvelous recording technology to forever archive the accomplishments of these foundational artists.

------------------
Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | Original music! | Steeler birthdays

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2001 10:33 am    

Steve Fishell produced Radney Foster's "Del Rio, Texas" CD, one of my all-time favorites. Is he one of these Hollywood producers that Ray rants about?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2001 1:35 pm    

Richard Bennett is originally from Phoenix, I believe. I met him in 1969 in Hollywood, and he was working at Al Casey's Music Store on Santa Monica Blvd. and Vine Street, playing a Fender 400 tuned to E9th Chromatic.

------------------

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2001 7:01 pm    

Herb I think you are right about Bennett.
Also I think he used to do work at the Troubador for all the (ahem) aspiring folk stars who needed a bit of musical muscle behind them.

Ray Montee, I know where you are coming from with your post, but there's a lot more to the Nashville situation than Hollywood producers.
It goes back before Urban country, probably back to the pop-country hits of the late 1960s and early 1970s, even the so called outlaw era where country artists were obtaining massive hits that were crossing over into the pop market.
In a way you could say that the enviroment it created was one where labels and producers were looking for the next crossover, not just a hit, but a crossover mega-hit. They weren't thinking Hollywood or rock, they were thinking $$$