The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A very useful web site for people shopping for instruments
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2001 5:53 pm    

This web site features reviews of instruments by users. Anybody interested in a particular guitar or bass or amp (as in the recent inquire about Godin/Seagull guitars) can see what others have to say about it. http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2001 3:26 am    

I've read some of the reviews on equipment. The problem is it's personal opinion in most cases.

I was looking for a drum machine a while back and was looking over the reviews on the various models. One guy will say it's a piece of crap and the next guy will say it's great. No different than what we hear on here in reference to equipment and guitars - just whatever someone likes.

Same way with other equipment. I recently bought a Fuji Finepix1400 digital camera, on a closeout deal. The (commercial) reviews didn't think much of it but the user reviews were all very good except for one guy that thought it was crap. Had that one guy that thought it was crap been the only review I probably wouldn't have bought that model even tho it was heavily discounted.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2001 10:06 am    

Yep, Jack is right about that.

Still, I like to get as many facts as I can, and then listen to others gripes and complaints.

After a while, you can at least sort out what the issues are with a particular product, then figure out how much those issues matter, and perhaps even concentrate on those issues when you go see the product in real life before making a decision.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons