The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country music online
Geoff Brown

Nashvegas
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2001 11:18 pm    

I searched this site for what I am about to talk about, and found the last entry was a year ago. And nobody even replied to this person's post. I'm inclined to think that a lot of fellow forumites are really missing out on something here.
I'm talking about...internet radio. In particular, a totally free, easily downloadable program called Spinner. There is now a lot of music in the form of radio-type programs that can be heard out there. I have listened to a good many, and IMHO Spinner is the best (and no, I have nothing to do with Spinner, other than the fact that I listen to it whenever I am online.)This internet "radio station" operates 24/7, with no commercials. There are somewhere around 130 "stations". That play genre-specific music. Modern country,Classic country, Alternative country, Rockabilly,Bluegrass,Folk, Blues (there are several specific blues stations).Listeners can program their "radio" with the stations they prefer, and tune in with a single mouse click. Like that artist you're listening to? With a click you're taken to a site that gives you info about them. Sound quality is excellent(of course that depends on how good your sound system is..I upgraded my sound system just so I could have great sound quality for this) I recently got cable, but have listened for a couple years with a standard dialup connection. It's great. I have heard music that I would never ever hear on conventional radio airwaves. I turn it on and minimize the screen, and go anywhere I want online with great music in the background.
Music cannot be downloaded here.It is not like Napster. Spinner is paid for by advertisers like CDNow, and other retailers that sell music online. But you'll see no annoying popup screens, etc. The program doesn't get in the way of what you're doing on the internet.
For folks who want to hear classic music or new bands that they may have never heard of, this is the place to be. Right now, I'm listening to The Collins Kids on the Rockabilly channel. When was the last time ya heard them on the radio? I rarely listen to my radio on the kitchen table or my stereo. I tune in on my computer. Well worth checking out. www.spinner.com Havefun