The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Emery show - Oct '70?
Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 7:55 am    

I recently had a local gal here give me copy of a video tape of a TNN special on the life of Marty Robbins following his death. On this special, Ralph Emery was interviewed, and in being asked about his favorite memories of Marty, he talked about a show that he hosted in October of 1970 - a "battle of songsters - Merle Haggard vs. Marty Robbins".

They proceded to show a couple of brief clips of that show - looked like the format was simply Robbins sitting at the piano and Haggard on a stool with a guitar, and they simply did songs back-and-forth, swapped stories and conversation with Emery and such.

Does anyone recall this show from '70 and if so, I'd love to know if a copy of it would be available somehow??? I would suppose it is in some Ralph Emery archives somewhere - does anyone know how to make contact with Emery's corporate ties?...or with TNN? The way things are going with TNN, the master tape of those old shows might have already gone in a dumpster - boy, would I hope thats not the case. thanks - Neil H.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 8:25 am    

I've seen clips from it- Haggard singing "Begging to you", mimicing Marty to his face (Superbly) and cracking Marty up...
but dunno where to find it

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 10:33 am    

Speaking of throwing tapes into a dumpster, I was told by a former staff band member of the TNN "Nashville Now" show, that this was done to thousands of videos taken at the opry and other places. These included many of the old Ernest Tubb shows and other similar shows.

What a tragedy. Just goes to show what value certain folks put on what others feel are treasures.

Kinda like blowing up the Washington Monument to make room for a mall. Whatcha think?

God bless you,

carl

jlsmith48

blackwell ok usa
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 11:58 am    

I heard Gaylord bought the Washington Monument and IS turning it into a mall.!!!!

Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 2:12 pm    

Dave - yep, that's it.... in the clip I saw, Marty was wearing a very loud blue-and-white checked jacket - Emery joked about Marty really out-dressing Merle for the occasion, so Merle proceded to ask Marty if he could slip his jacket on?? So they switch jackets, Hag takes a long drag off his cigarette and sings "Devil Woman" in perfect Marty Robbins voice and mannerisms.... with Marty sitting there at his piano with a completely dumbfounded look on his face and Ralph Emery egging it all on. Pure Magic.

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 7:55 pm    

Carl, like the old saying goes . . . one man's junk is another man's treasure.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 9:26 pm    

Back in the late 60s & early 70s when Ralph hosted the all-night radio show on WSM, Marty was kind of a semi-regular for a while. He'd show up several times a month on Ralph's show and do live performances with just a piano. Wish I'd have taped some of those old broadcasts.