The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody familiar with these Hawaiian Albums?
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 3:48 pm    

Hi Non-Pedalers,

Maybe you can help me decide about some new CDs that I am going to be ordering.

Are you fanmiliar with any of these:

Jerry Byrd - Polynesian Suite

Various Players - Hawaiian Steel Made In Hawaii

Bobby Ingano - Steel Reflections

Sol Hoopi - Master of the Hawaiian Guitar Vols. I and II

I would like to hear comments from some of you regarding these CDs, or albums.

Thanks,

Terry Wood

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 6:01 pm    

Terry: I'll let others offer their views on the rest of the CDs you ask about, but the Sol Hoopii albums are an essential part of any civilized household, trust me. This is music which still sounds fresh and surprising
almost seventy-five years after it was made, and nobody has ever played steel guitar better.

billchav

Houston, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 7:09 pm    

Well said Ian, regarding Sols albums. Although I like most everything JB does, I was not too pleased with Polynesian Suite. I still collect everything I can of his work though. It is hard to tell Jerry and Dick McIntire apart in some of his earlier records. www.billchaviers.com ICQ36667112

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 10:08 pm    

Terry, I have all of the albums you mentioned, and if you can only get two of them, make sure it's Sol Ho'opi'i. He is absolutely fantastic and those two of his are two of my most favorite CDs.

The other one I really like a lot on that list is the Made In Hawaii one, it is all contemporary players and I think it is excellant.

Jerry Byrd is one of my all time favorite players, but I don't particulary care for that album. His playing is great as usual, but I don't care for the music on that album.

Everyone has a little different taste in music though, and you might really like the Polynesian Suite.

Jim

PS- I almost forgot Bobby Ingano's Steel Reflections, but then that is the way that album affected me, easy to forget. But then again that's just my opinion, you might love it.

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 14 June 2000 at 11:13 PM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 11:59 pm    

Where does anyone find albums by Sol Hoopi?
As massive as my collection is,(2700± albums)I don't have anything by him,& have never heard him play.
Someone please help.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-

Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 3:02 am    

You'll find the two Sol Hoopii CD's and lots of Hawaiian steel stuff through Cord International P.O. Box 152 Ventura, CA 93002 www.cordinternational.com 1-877-648-7881. They'll send you a catalog full of very interesting CD's and cassettes and they're a pleasure to deal with.

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 5:03 am    

Rounder records reissued the two Sol Hoopii CD's that have been discussed. They are very easy to find, try Elderly Instruments or Amazon.com. You won't find these CD's at the Walmart music department Some of the cuts are pretty scratchy sounding but once you get past that, the performances are outstanding. Some of my favorite cuts, 'I Like You', 'Orange Grove In California', 'Fasinating Rhythm', 'Twelfth St. Rag', 'Tomi Tomi', 'Farewell Blues'.

Made In Hawaii is a compilation of 5-6 current Hawaiian players. If my memory serves me well... Bobby Ingano, Herb Hanawahine, Rodney Freeman, Casey Olsen, Fred Lunt and more. Greg Sardinha also plays throughout the CD (he produced and recorded the entire project). Excellent recording quality, nice assortment of styles and performances. I've actually seen this CD for sale at Border's books. Again, try Amazon.com.

Bobby Ingano's Steel Reflections is a fine CD. Bobby's performances are, as always, awesome. Perfect intonation, crystal clear harmonics, always the right notes. Fave cuts, 'Yellow Roses', 'Chloe', 'Sand', 'Sleepwalk'... yeah I know Sleepwalk has been recorded a million times, but Bobby does a fine tribute to this tune (he mentions that it is the song that inspired him to take up the steel). I also like the last two cuts on the CD, the titles escape me. My one critism of the CD, the backup players are too prominent in the mix.

The last time I spoke with Bobby he mentioned that he was working on a new CD which should be out soon.

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 15 June 2000 at 06:15 AM.]

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 5:14 am    

My two cents--

I'm a very big fan of JB, but don't have that album. The rest of his stuff on CD is fine, although some of the mixes are off, in my opinion. There are 2 other JB CDs available through Cord and both are excellent.

"Made in Hawaii" is an excellent anthology of players active in Hawaii today. Great variety.

I like the Bobby Ingano album. Sometimes his music might be just a little stiff, but there is a lot to enjoy. Beautiful tone. Mostly straight-ahead renditions and good to learn tunes from. Love his "Sleepwalk." He has 2 cuts on the "Made in Hawaii" album, so you might try that one first.

Sol Hoopii was one of the greatest.

Enjoy!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 2:36 pm    

Hey Smiley,

Erics gave you the same address where I received a catalog from a few days ago. THey have all sorts of neat Hawaiian recordings on CD and some vintage Jaz too.

Smile Smiley!

T.J. Wood
Jullian Tharpe and Reece Anderson for SGHOF!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 2:39 pm    

Hi Guys,

THanks for the imput on these CDs, I'll check them out.

God Bless You All!

Terry Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 2:43 pm    

Hi Guys,

Yeah it's me again. I'd like to know if the Sol Hoopi recordings on CD are on Dobro/ Accoustic Guitar or on the electric Hawaiian Steel Guitar?

Thanks Again!

Teryy Wood

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 3:04 pm    

Terry, part of the songs were played with an accoustic National Tricone and the rest were played on electric lap steel, but I have no idea what brand.(maybe a fry pan?)

Jim

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 5:11 pm    

A Rickenbacher bakelite.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 7:02 pm    

Sol Hoopii, Master of the Hawaiian Guitar, Vol 1& 2,are CD's; $13.98 ea. c/o Cord Int'l in Ventura, CA, as mentioned above. The tunes were recorded between 1926-1930. I haven't got them yet but they are now at the top of my list.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 8:28 am    

I have lots of Sol Ho'opi'i (incidently, for those who have trouble with his last name, it is NOT HOOPEE, but HO-O-PEE-EE). Among the best is a collection available from Bud Tutmarc who knew and played with Sol until Sol's last days. If you write to Bud, 6614 Greenwood N., Seattle, 98103 you can order this collection of 9 tapes plus photos. A must have ! Sol was the King of them all.(Bud is ill at the moment and I am sure he would appreciate hearing from his steel guitar fans). As for Dick McIntire vs Jerry, I cannot agree. Dick's tone is so unique which is not to knock the Master, Jerry. Like others, I never cared for his Polynesian Suite though very well performed. There are many Byrd recordings available which I feel are superior to the P.S. Personally, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Dick McIntire fan !

Just received a (form)letter from Bud Tutmarc. He suffered a stroke and a heart attack. His left side (arm) has been affected. Bud cannot walk very far and must depend upon a walker for support. Please send a prayer to the Man Upstairs for our friend Bud.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 22 June 2000 at 10:38 PM.]

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 12:07 pm    

Hey Guys,

Several of you stated that your big Jerry Bryd fans and so am I. You say even though Jerry plays great you don't dig the "Polynesian Suite," CD.

I suppose my question is why?

In their catalog the company that offers it on CD, state that it is "melodic, exotic, relaxing, and invigorating too-perfect mood music!" They go on to say that Jerry is backed by a big orchestra. Is the sympohic sounds/orchestra the reason you guys don't like it?

See I have enjoyed the Byrd album of years ago title "Satin Strings of Steel," with the strings backing him, and I also have always enjoyed the Japanese recordings he done titled "Steel Guitar Romantic World." However, others have stated in the past of how they don't dig those sounds either. I'd like some more input on this, because I can't decide whether to order 5 or 6 or six and a half dozen of the others. I see a bunch of Hawaiian stuff in their catalog and I just gots to order me a bunch a that! Smiley face here!!!!

T. J. Wood

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 6:42 pm    

Hi Jeffstro,

Didn't the Olson guy play with Jerry Byrd too? Or do I have this Casey mixed up with another Olson?

Thanks for your input!

God Bless,

Terry J. Wood

Adam

Seattle,WA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 2:07 pm    

I've heard about those Sol Hoopii Seattle tapes and have always wanted to hear them.Has anybody else heard this material?Also,the address listed for Bud Tutmarc is different on Brad Bechtel's site.Either way,Bud lives in walking distance from my house.Any idea which address is current?

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 4:54 pm    

The JB album you discuss here, in my view, is just another variable that JB had to do as a stylist; an artist. He couldn't just keep recording Turner's Turnpike, Panhandle Rag, and the tunes we really enjoy, over and over again. It was for jukebox! It was an example of his fine talents. The Japanese album is not my favorite but I to enjoy it very much; it's different, melodic and again, another example of his limitless capabilities. Give it a try. Your collection will never be complete without it.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 4:56 pm    

OOOOOPS! That should have read "It wasn't meant for jukebox" or for that matter, dance halls or beer taverns. Just nice listening music.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 9:55 pm    

Jeff...Hiram is an extraordinary guitarist...plays those big fat chords most of us rhythm players can only dream about. The amazing thing about his playing is the fact he can play "slack key" without changing his standard guitar tuning ! Sounds "slack" but isn't. Casey is Hiram's son and also the grandson to the late legendary Billy Hew Len. Comes from steel guitar ROYALTY! Casey studied under Jerry and comes the closest to Jerry's style while still retaining a definitive style of his own. Fantastic musician and a great guy !
Casey replaced Jerry when the "Jerry Byrd Trio" broke up...Jerry, Hiram and Kalani Fernandes. (Kalani passed away from cancer about 5 years ago). It became the Hiram Olsen Trio.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 22 June 2000 at 10:58 PM.]

colinmcc

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 1:04 pm    

Bud Tutmark's son Greg is selling his father's music including the Sol Hoopii tapes.

I hope this helps anyone trying to contact Bud.

Greg is at
10708 NE 19th Pl
Bellevue, WA. 98004
Email:gtutmarc@w-link.net

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 8:43 pm    

Terry, let us know which ones you ordered, and what you think of them after you've had a chance to listen to them..........

Jim

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 9:01 pm    

Jim...I can personally vouch for the album of 9 Sol Ho'opi'i tapes available from Bud,
(Greg) Tutmarc. Excellent material. Most, if not all the tapes are "home" made sessions, but the quality is very good. Rare stuff.

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 9:27 pm    

Keoki, I agree 100%. I have all of Bud Tutmarc's tapes of Sol and they are great. The recording quality is'nt as good as I'd like on some of the tracks, but most of them are very good, and Sol's playing more than makes up for few that are'nt.

Maybe you can answer a question for me. On the song "My Tane", the vocal was done by Jeanne Tutmarc. Do you happen to know what relation to Bud she is or was?.....Mother, sister, or ?.........

That is the most beautiful version of that song I have ever heard. Absolutely haunting rendition of that song. Unfortunately, it is one of the ones that the recording quality was not very good on though. Whoever she is or was, she had a wonderful voice and knew how to use it.

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 24 June 2000 at 10:33 PM.]