The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to Keep a Band Together?
Rick Barber

Morgan Hill, Calif. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 1:10 pm    

I enjoy leading an amateur band. Ive had some members come and go. I'd like to hear how you know of keeping people together in a music group. (no, not with chains)

I've had some people move on because they wanted to sing more but perhaps they play an instrument far better than they sing so I held them back ---while I insist they do what they do best .

Some members had only experience playing solo and didnt know how to fit in a group or have a leader.

I have taken on the role of bandleader and I feel I am openminded and fair and I do try to make it fun. Its why I have an amateur band. The expense for equipment has always been on me as well, I've never asked for anything but for members to do the best they can.

Share your experience if you wish.

Thanks Rick Barber

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 2:12 pm    

In my opinion, the thing that keeps a band together is intangible. It's just a magic that happens when you get the right players with the right personalities, playing the right music in the right venues (whether the venues are cool clubs, dive bars, or someone's basement).

The cover band I'm in has been around for about 7 years and there have been numerous personnel changes, for numerous reasons. The latest lineup of the band has been around for about 3 years. It has been the most successful and talented lineup, and we've all become really good friends.

BUT...

It's time for me to leave the band, as I am trying to leave myself available for other musical pursuits. So even a band lineup that consists of friends that respect each other personally and musically won't necessarily keep the band together. There are too many variables to consider. The more members, the more variables. The more scheduling conflicts, the more opinions, the more attitudes, the more ideals... These things can either strengthen or weaken the bonds. Only time can tell, really.

FWIW: I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind when it comes to the other members' ideas. You mentioned that you tried to get the musicians to focus on what you think are their strengths. While establishing roles is important, it is equally important to be flexible, especially as a band leader. Discouraging a musician from trying to expand his/her role (and value to the band)is not a good idea, in my opinion. Almost everything is worth a serious attempt. The happy surprises are not discovered by maintaining the status quo. They lurk within the unexplored territory. You learn by doing, and greater bonds will be formed if everyone feels that they can contribute openly, that their ideas are relevant, and that they have the support of their bandmates.

Dave Baker

Dumas, TX. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 7:24 pm    

Rick, I can only re-state part of what Chris said in the way I have said it to many band leaders ... you'll never build a monster in a nice, clean, hospital. You have to do it after midnight, in a dungeon; and be willing to get your hands dirty while you jam stuff together even when it looks like it won't fit.

Unfortunately, as beneficial as it was to mankind, most people would have to seach the 'net to find the name of the guy who had the first heart transplant. Everybody has heard of Frankenstein.

And, a year or so has always been a long time for me to stay with any band. I tell most folks that right up front so there won't be any surprises down the road.

Rowdy

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 9:48 pm    

Off the top of my head Dr Christion Barnard performed the first heart transplant.
Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you the name of Dr Fankenstein's monster.
Sorry---can't help myself.I reckon if the band is having fun thats half the battle.Otherwhise it's just hard work.
Brendan.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 8:13 am    

Getting off topic here, but Frankenstein's creration wasn't given a name, although most people called him Frankenstein instead of the Doc.
Not too different to the confusion that results when most folks see a steel guitar onstage for the first time..

Sometimes you've got to burn through a few members to get a great line-up, just ask the Beatles on that one, or maybe Pete Best. You can't ask their first bassist Stu Sutcliffe he died in the early 1960s. Nice painter, crap bassist by all accounts.

Dave Frye

Atwater, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 8:53 am    

Rick, As a bandleader you are one of the best to work for that i have known. I & my wife enjoyed playin for you but work interfers( my wifes)but keep on lookin Rick, you,ll find some pickers. Ole DAve Frye S12 ShoBud Ext 9th

Dave Baker

Dumas, TX. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 10:04 am    

Ah, Brendan ... I knew Dr Barnard off the top of my head as the one who DID the first heart transplant. I still can't come up with the name of the man who HAD the first transplant. Also, off the top of my head, the monster named himself "Legions," but the world just knows it as Frankenstein.

All of the above is meant in fun, Brendan, I couldn't resist either.

OTOH, I still stand by my earlier statement. More people know more about the whole Frankenstein experience because it reaches inside and grabs them where they don't normally like to be grabbed. I am just not into squeaky-clean, sterialized, music that follows a strict protocol ... hence my Frankenstein outlook.

Rowdy

[This message was edited by Dave Baker on 25 January 2001 at 10:32 AM.]

Rick Barber

Morgan Hill, Calif. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 1:10 pm    

Thanks for the comments.

And good to hear from you Dave Frye. I've always understood when people have to move on because of time pressures or family obligations. You guys were great. And I still want to steel jam with you. And You have a very talented and kind and lovely wife Dave (yes, I know you agree).

Unfortunately I had a bad experience more recently, you know the kind that shake your faith and wonder if one should hang it all up. But I think I'm hanging in there. I'm always supposed to be the rock in our family, even the band family.
I have a guitar player and a guitarist singer both on deck that I know from both work and church.

I find having fewer people is easier on the nerves. The chance any one person is having a bad day is less ;--) .

I'm finding greater interest in recording as compared to preparing for a gig. I have written my own material and have had the band record. And my greatest interest is in playing steel , and with that I can entertain myself endlessly.

I do this because my wife finds it enjoyable in the ways she gets involved. She knows it gives me great enjoyment. I would not have a band if my family was bothered by it.

Somebody's comment rang a loud bell and that is the magic of just being together and playing anything -------with no hidden agendas.

I think its all about trying to bring the best out of people. If you fail once in a while just pick up the pieces and move on the best you can.

We have had lots of fun though this past few years.

Someone mentioned skimming from the band --- the band has never worked for pay nor have I in this group --- its for charity, church, and most recently it was for the Kiwanis Club scholarship fund. Dont get me wrong, being a paid pro is fine --- but I'm an engineer by training so thats what I do for pay.

See you all at the Dallas steel event in March.

Above all keep pickin' on that steel, it will always tell you true how your doin' , right there on the spot :--) it'll even tell you on stage.

Sincerely, Rick Barber

Dave Baker

Dumas, TX. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 3:09 pm    

Rick,

I saw where you "signed off" but if you're still checking this thread ...

I really did hear what you were saying. I don't know of any group of people who can't manufacture a ticking bomb out of the glue that should be holding them together. I find that to be true in everything from church committes to motorcycle clubs. Maybe if you find the answer you can tell me what it is. I have never been in a band that didn't have a lot of turn-over, nor have I ever been in a band that didn't bust up.

As for holding something together, I can't. The best I can ever do is remind myself that nothing ever sits squarely on my shoulders anymore, and that bigger hands than mine decide what stays together and what drifts away.

Good luck to ya!

Rowdy

Rick Barber

Morgan Hill, Calif. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 5:35 pm    

Yes Dave I see your point. The band has evolved but the band goes on.

Thanks, Rick Barber

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 7:12 pm    

This worked for me: Give everyone input, try everyone's ideas, and don't call anybody's baby ugly.

------------------

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 7:46 pm    

Our band leader is well not the smartest one I know, but he owens the PA......... Guitar Players Hey Dayna ya gotta callem the you see'em

------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

http://communities.msn.com/MySteelGuitarPage/homepage
Sierra S-12 9&7

[This message was edited by David Wright on 25 January 2001 at 07:48 PM.]

David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 8:15 pm    

As a former member of Rick's band I can tell you that he always puts the band first, something I always appreciated.

It's been my experience that the bands that stay together the longest are the ones where the musicians share a passion for the same type of music. Getting a group of diverse musicians together and trying to find a common musical ground is difficult to maintain for any length of time.

Hang in there, Rick. Stick with your origianl material and find musicians who dig it and want to play it.

Rick Barber

Morgan Hill, Calif. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 12:35 pm    

Thanks David B. And hey David Wright whats going on. I'm waitin to play another steel get together with you. I'm still threatening to black powder paint my 8 rods. I sure like your guitar and your playing for that matter. And David B. I imagine you are coming right along on that new steel of yours.

You know one thing I am happy about is whether people have stayed with the band or had to leave for personal reasons I think they developed their musicianship in working with a team. There were a few that hadnt played their instrument in years. Maybe I at least helped them get going again.

I remember one gig we had , my wife told me there was a gent about 50 yrs old like me standing 6 feet from my steel on stage . Apparently he was fascinated with the instrument and wanted to come to some of my rehearsals to watch the steel playing.

Fortunately my boys in their 20's are deeply entrenched in the music and entertainment field. Mike graduated from a major film school and is getting ready for making movies and scoring tracks for them. Rick is a music major and runs the recording studio at a state college and plays for half dozen music groups and teaches woodwinds and music theory on the side. He is also playing as principle bassoonist for a Symphony in the San Jose area. He is scoring the electronic music and sound tracks for a corporation that is going to provide software for internet by sattelite services. These guys always keep my musical spirit at a peak. Well gosh you know I'm proud of them for sure.

My wife tolerates it all quite well. She is our best fan :--) . She is also my agent so to speak.

I'm threatening to buy a second steel as soon as my second job pays up. This time I'm going for the Laquered showpiece for my living room.

Keep your letters coming --- I'm just rambling. Tell us your music group experiences.

Rick Barber

Rick Barber

Morgan Hill, Calif. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2001 11:15 pm    

Well looks like I'm signing off for the weekend. My sister in law just called and my one and only brother is in the hospital destined for another open heart surgery. Im going to Sacramento to be with him for the weekend.

Rick Barber

David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 10:46 pm    

Hello Rick. I hope your brother is doing well. I enjoyed meeting him last year.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 4:13 am    

Bands seem to be one of the hardest things to keep together. Having played in bands for over 40 years the biggest reason people quit or bands break up (other than because of a day job committment or someone moving away) is ego's. The band I worked in the longest stayed together because no one was a "star".

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 9:31 am    

1. Enough work
2. Enough money
3. fresh songs

BUDDY BARROWCLIFF

Sayre,Pa
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2001 4:54 pm    

Guys
The best way to keep a band together from my perspective is go out and rob a bank together
At least then you will have no trouble staying behind STEEL
Buddy

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 5:41 am    

I have found an old saying that worked that I always applied to my Bands..."The Band that gets Paid together,stayed together"..UP in New England I've seen the same guys playing in three different bands during any given week..My guys always had enough work to stay with me.Growing up in my home town of Sacramento Cal. I remember the bands dammed near lived with each other.

------------------
CJC

Lou[NE]

Weston, NE USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2001 6:57 pm    

Good thread. To answer the heart transplant question, I'm old enough to remember that Christian Barnaard performed the first heart transplant; the recipient was Louis Washansky - same first name as mine, which is why I remember

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2001 8:32 am    

Jack--Good comment about ego in the band. It seems to me that people with a large ego with the attitude "I've done that" or "I know that" tend to misunderstand a person who has a modest attitude. The person with the large ego thinks that the modest person can't handle the situation just because he appears not to be so outgoing. It isn't that he lacks confidence--he just doesn't want to pat himself on the back. He lets the audience pat him on the back when he deserves it! Joe

Dale Sollenberger

Chambersburg Pa. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2001 10:10 am    

I'm Not Sure Why We're Still Together,But It's Been The Same Five Guys For Almost Five Yrs,And The Fact Is We're Not That Good.The Drummer's Timing Isn't The Best,My Steel Playing Leaves A Lot To Be Desired,The Bass Player Drinks Too Much, The Sound Man Doesn't Know His Ass From A Hole In The Ground About Running Sound,The Lead Guitar Player Thinks He's Eddie Van Halen,And The Band Leader Tells All Of His Women Where We're Playing Every Week,And They All Show Up At The Same Time.What A Hell Of A Mess.Plus Everyone In The Band Except Me & The Bass Player Tends To Lean Towards Rock & Roll,And When It Gets Too Rock & Rollish, I Bitch. But When We're On Stage We Click,And We Have A Big Following,Get Good Crowd Responce,And Have A Lot Of Fun.I Think That's The Secret,Plus The Fact That There Are NO EGOS, ABSOLUTLY NONE ,And That's Unusual In A Band,Even A Band Playing At The Level We Do,Which Is Garage Band Level.We Also Split The Money Evenly Five Ways,With The Sound Man Getting A Lessor Amount.That Probably Has Something To Do With It.So Far It's Not Been A Real Bad Deal,But We All Know How The Band Business Goes. So If I've Mentioned Anything Y'all Can Use,Be My Guest.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2001 8:35 pm    

Don't get married!

telecat

Sutton,W.V. 26601
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2001 7:46 am    

I think Barney Clark is the guy who had the operation. The way I see it our band has been going strong for 16 years with the nucleus, Bass Player, Guitar Player, Fiddle, Guitar, and Mandocaster being together for 13 years, we have had a blast and continue to respect and love each other, if we could only find a damn drummer who dont want to be out front singin, we'd be okay. My Dad always told me if you have a good drummer he will be missing other qualities like, common sense, adulthood etc, but if you find a great guy who you can get along with he usually cant play worth a crap, anyway so the bulk of the band has been together 13 years and we are on our 8th or 9th drummer, I lost count, but believe it or not one of the nicest drummers we have had and also a pretty good drummer is Mark Horn and he now plays for the Derailers, so not all good drummers are bad.
BB

------------------
www.southernmix.com