The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gaylord Entertainment's Effect On Country Music
Dale Sollenberger

Chambersburg Pa. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2001 4:25 pm    

Could I Get Anybody's Thought's, Or Opinion's On What Effect Gaylord Entertainment Has Had On The Opry, Or Country Music In General.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2001 7:20 pm    

Sorry Dale,we're not allowed to use that kinda language on the forum.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2001 7:39 pm    

Smiley's got that one right for sure!!!!!!!!
Ron

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2001 8:25 pm    

I'm with Smiley on this one all the way!!!!!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 6:43 am    

Smiley,,who said you can't express yourself,I will...That dirty ^%#%$$# $#$^^ $&(*&&*%2 #%^%%^^&^% ^&^$^&&& $^%**()() (!)hole!

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 7:29 am    

Well said, Earl. I know you are a monster picker but I had no idea you were a wordsmith too!!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 8:27 am    

Thanks Mark,I try to pick and choose my words very carefully.

Dale Sollenberger

Chambersburg Pa. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 9:20 am    

Wow!,I Had No Idea It Was That Bad.I've Heard Rumors About What One Or Two Of The Opry Members Have Said About Gaylord,And Some Other People Have Said,And It's All Been Negative,What I Don't Understand Is, If Gaylord's Only Interest Is Money And Not The Music Or It's Fans, Why Don't They Find Another Line Of Work.There Are A Lot Of Business' In This Country Mush More Lucrative Than The Music Business, But Who Am I To Dictate Business Policy. I'm Not That Familar With The What's Going On Down There To Really Know Any Details.But What I Do Know Is That The Majority Of What I Hear Coming Out Of The Studios Down There And Getting All The Air Play Is Not Country Music.Is That Gaylords Doings?.Somebody Give Me Some Details. I'd Like To Know Who This Crappy Music Can Be Blamed On,And Who It's Aimed At.I Cannot Believe This Is What Country Music Fans Want To Hear,Or Am I Missing Something Here.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 10:26 am    

Dale do a search on here and you'll find plenty of ammunition about Gaylord and about many of our feelings on the current product that is getting the air play.

Gaylord is now into expanding the Opryland Hotel concept and building or planning to build smaller hotels on that concept. Two locations that have been reported in newsprint is one in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC and in Orlando, Fl. If Gaylord's track record in the music and theme park ventures are any indication, the hotel business isn't long for this world.

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 10:53 am    

I don't think we can blame Gaylord for the current product coming out of Nashville. Although, they have done very little, I feel, to support the more traditional country music. The "blame" for the "crap" coming out of Nashville today, lays more on the shoulders of the labels and the producers that are trying to please them. It is slowly becoming clear to them that the "young" record buyers have moved on to another new fad in music. Therefore, creating a decline in sells, and an atmosphere of everybody in "power" running for cover. Their glory days are over. Soon the "big money" will pull the plug and leave the Nashville music industry to try to survive. I think the country music industry will survive, but, it will be more of the "Mom and Pop" industry, that it was before all of this line dance frenzy. Gaylord carries its share of the blame, but they weren't in control of "all" of the negative things that have taken place in the past decade.

------------------
Tommy Minniear

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 2:11 pm    

quote:

I'd Like To Know Who This Crappy Music Can Be Blamed On,

The public's taste.

If you can figure out what to do about it, let us know. We're all wondering.
-John

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 3:39 pm    

AH come on folks it ain't all that bad,Why theres still beautiful Shopryland where tourist can travel miles to pay more for crap,Now that ought to draw them in.And there's the Grand new Opry featuring future has beens weakly,and the Opryland Hotel where tourist can register in for the low cost of a down payment on a condo...They did start the Nasional nutwork,and their policy of hiring the mentaly challenged to operate key venues such as the Gaylord music co. Has been solely responible for the state of Country music in Nashburg. So hats off to the Gaylords,may the fleas of a thousand camels invade their armpits..O yeas and they made smiley a partner..well didn't they give him the business so to speak...

------------------
CJC

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2001 12:52 pm    

Well, It's not just Gaylord's fault, although they take their piece of the pie. It's a lot of people in Nashville. theirs 3 types of people in Nashville.

1. People that think pop is country.
2. People that think that its a bunch of bull.
3. People that do something about it.

Well, me, I'm about a 2 1/2. That's just cause I can't do nothing but talk about it and play REAL country music!!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2001 2:21 pm    

Abraham, Are you sure your under 40 years of age? You certainly have a good focus on the present.

------------------
CJC

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2001 8:03 pm    

Amen Sleepy! Abraham, don't let anyone sway you from your country-western roots. It's guys like you that we're counting on for the future of this instrument and the real country music that it sounds so at-home with.

I wish that my younguns (13, 16, 18, and 29 years of age) would play country music. They know something about it historically as they kinda grew up around it, they just aren't interested in listening to it nor playing it. It's simple actually. To them, real country music, or any "roots" type of music for that matter, isn't cool, it ain't "happenin' now".

Well, I was country when country wasn't cool, like the song says. Then I was country when country WAS cool, and now that it isn't so cool again I'm still country. I've never found a reason to settle on any other way to be, because I don't follow fads. As well as traditional country music, I enjoy other types of "roots" music such as Western Swing, Cowboy, Dixieland, Old-Time, Early American, Spirituals, Old Standards, some Blues, some (especially older) Jazz, some Big-Band swing, some Rockabilly, some Doo-Wop, some old hymns, a little Classical, you get the picture. This music is still around because it is great music with substance to it (unlike most of the schlock being foisted upon the public today).

Abraham, I'm grateful for young people like you who are not shallow, who don't follow every fad, but are genuinely interested in preserving great music and keeping it alive by playing it and promoting it. And IMHO you have chosen to play the greatest instrument I know of, the steel guitar. Keep it up son. It WILL pay off for you in the future.

Tim R.